X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gibson Last straw...

Originally posted by Rid View Post
    Tapped...I never hammer anything on guitars......maybe I should hammer yours!
    Read......

But yeah, who knows??? I am listening to YES right now, so I probably deserve it.

Comment

The nuts on Les Pauls are all set very deeply and extremely securely attached; the base of the slot nearly always goes below the lacquer line on all US made models which means an annoying retouch job when you get the new one in. It's hard to get them out in one piece especially as the material they are made of - which looks like compressed gypsum to me - is quite friable.
      www.facebook.com/elthamjones
      http://www.edgeguitarservices.co.uk

"I'm not crazy; my mother had me tested"

Comment

I love Gibson, I'm a Gibson crack-ho.

Some of their guitars are dogs, no question, I've bumped into a few and for the money, you would think the QC would be better than it is, particularly on the fretwork. And it should be, no question.

That said, if you find a righteous one, there's nothing like it made by anyone anywhere. Ever.

Thus my position is that as a whole, gripes about Gibson are half truth, half sour grapes.
        Generic signature line.

Comment

The nuts on Les Pauls are all set very deeply and extremely securely attached; the base of the slot nearly always goes below the lacquer line on all US made models which means an annoying retouch job when you get the new one in. It's hard to get them out in one piece especially as the material they are made of - which looks like compressed gypsum to me - is quite friable.
          What kind of bleeding mind comes up with such a sollution??

Took out an old one, the last time I was at my other job, did not have that deep slot, it was like they used to make them....
          Yeah the material is brittle and strange.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhangliqun View Post
            ...if you find a righteous one, there's nothing like it made by anyone anywhere. Ever.

Thus my position is that as a whole, gripes about Gibson are half truth, half sour grapes.
            First off let me say that I actually agree with the 2nd part, half ARE sour grapes, no doubt about it.
            However, if you don't mind, let us analyze the first part.

A righteous Gibson can be better than anything built by anyone.
            How about those Gibsons built at the Kalamazoo factory? They were/are Gibsons alright.
            Now, I'm pretty sure that there must be AT LEAST one "righteous one" that can be even better than SOME other "righteous ones", not built at the Kalamazoo factory, which, although "righteous", are less so...

Now let us take Heritage guitars as a whole. Built at the same factory as those Kalamazoo Gibsons and by the same people for more than a couple decades. Now I am sure that those same people that build THAT afore mentioned "more righteous that the other, less righteous" Gibson, after some more decades of experience in building the exact same guitar, MUST have built AT LEAST one Heritage that is, in fact, more "righteous" than the one they built before as Gibson.
            As such, there must be AT LEAST one righteous non-Gibson (a Heritage in this case) that is in fact BETTER than SOME righteous Gibsons.

See where I'm getting at?
            Originally posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay
            I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
            Originally posted by That90'sGuy
            Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

And, to put it simply, I'll repeat myself and say that if there is one man, ANY man that can do/build something then there is AT LEAST one other (and in truth, numerous others) that can in fact do/build the exact same thing AT LEAST as good (and in fact, more than likely, BETTER).
              This, in my mind, is a UNIVERSAL TRUTH, a part of human history, nay, of human nature.
              Trust me when I say that once you've fully accepted that fact as an undoubted truth the entire world takes a new shape in your eyes and you're anyone's "ho" no more...
              I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
              Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

Since you want to get (oddly) philosophical about it, I'm sure you can see the contradiction inherent in the stronger version of your claim; ie, "there's always someone better". That is, the contradiction that inheres in claiming that there can be an infinite heirachy of proficiency amongst a finite population.

A more potent point (and one someone might've already made) would be to say that preference in guitars come down to personal taste. Once you get past quality control issues, what constitutes an awesome guitar for one person doesn't necessarily for another. For instance, I don't like certain vintage strats that many others revere, simply because I don't like vintage radii or small frets. That said, I wouldn't take the risk on a Gibson because other companies make LP and SG-style guitars with specs more to my liking, and with a much greater degree of reliability in their quality control.

Comment

Ok, define finite population; do you mean including both the past and (until we know otherwise) all future generations?
                  As for the infinity of the hierarchy of proficiency part, I guess the limits pretty much lie in the very limitation of the human nature and/or ingenuity. If at some point we reach the point where any and all of our sensory systems augmented to the maximum of our abilities (including using artificial means created by us) cannot possibly detect/understand a difference in quality then yes, that's pretty much as good as something can go because even if it were to get better we wouldn't be able to tell...

However I seriously doubt we have already gotten to that point

As for the personal taste point, I'm not debating whether someone could build something that would seem better by virtue of being different to the eyes of a subjective observer, that goes without saying.

I'm talking about taking something of (for our purposes) subjective quality and based on the very same things that made it good, enhance it and make it better.
                  Now if someone feels that a bridge placed at the wrong position for correct temperament or badly cut/placed frets and/or nut constitute subjective preference then I guess all bets are off

Comment

Originally posted by TattooedCarrot View Post
                    I have seen some sawdust in a case before, but I don't consider that a flaw.
                    Maybe not a flaw, but rather indicative of carelessness and disregard at a price point where those should be pretty high priorities, don't you think?

Originally posted by TattooedCarrot View Post
                    I also believe QC issues are very subjective to the perceptions of the individual owner and what they consider a flaw. I am pretty easy going and don't worry about little things on my guitars so I do not have a critical eye. Others are so anal they perceive flaws another person just can't see staring right at it. There's a lot more variable to the whole QC debate than something truly wrong with the guitar.
                    Well.... when we're talking used gear, I'll totally overlook nicks and dings on a particularly nice instrument. However, if a company like Schecter can make guitars in the $500-ish range that are nearly flawless, what excuse does Gibson have for crooked tuners, sloppily drilled holes, finish bleed into the binding, and poorly cut nuts?

And furthermore, if you were buying a high end automobile, would you be ok if the paint had bubbles, the radio didn't work, or the alignment was out of whack? Of course not. All of those things are unacceptable in a cheaper car, let alone an expensive one.
                    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Bloodrose I agree with you man, totally. Why buy a Gibson when Tokai, Edwards, Warmoth and Michael Kelly are doing better jobs making the same/similar guitars at lower prices?

btw, what would be the re-sale price of a Tokai Explorer with the weird-shaped 3-on-a-side headstock? I saw one in a hock shop the other day, thought about picking it up to turn around
                      "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

Look just stop bashing Gibson guitars !
                        Most people I know think your really cool if you own a Gibson and they respect you for it !
                        Who is going to respect you and think your cool if you own a less expensive brand ?
                        How do you think I feel reading these hurtfull comments after just having paid out thousands of dollars for my Gibson only for you guys to tell me that there are equal or better guitars for a lot less ?
                        I feel like a fool and I don't like it and whats more I don' believe you !
                        Gibson have got to be the best otherwise they wouldn't be so famous and have respect from a lot of people right ? - and besides famous people play Gibsons right ?
                        If you walk into a guitar store to buy a guitar the sales staff will all tell you that Gibsons are better than the cheaper brands !
                        If you buy a Gibson it means your committed to playing music and that your a serious musician !
                        The wood , the pots and caps, the switch and jack are all better on a Gibson !
                        Give us serious musicians a break and stop trying to make us feel like fools for having paid a lot of money for a famous Gibson brand guitar.
                        Zak Wylde doesn't play a Heritage or whatever cause he's serious about music !
                        You guys are just so jealous cause you can't afford a Gibson or your not really into music like I am.

Comment

Wow. a 7 page Gibson Bash thread!

Never could have imagined
                          I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by wanmei1 View Post
                            Look just stop bashing Gibson guitars !
                            Most people I know think your really cool if you own a Gibson and they respect you for it !
                            Who is going to respect you and think your cool if you own a less expensive brand ?
                            How do you think I feel reading these hurtfull comments after just having paid out thousands of dollars for my Gibson only for you guys to tell me that there are equal or better guitars for a lot less ?
                            I feel like a fool and I don't like it and whats more I don' believe you !
                            Gibson have got to be the best otherwise they wouldn't be so famous and have respect from a lot of people right ? - and besides famous people play Gibsons right ?
                            If you walk into a guitar store to buy a guitar the sales staff will all tell you that Gibsons are better than the cheaper brands !
                            If you buy a Gibson it means your committed to playing music and that your a serious musician !
                            The wood , the pots and caps, the switch and jack are all better on a Gibson !
                            Give us serious musicians a break and stop trying to make us feel like fools for having paid a lot of money for a famous Gibson brand guitar.
                            Zak Wylde doesn't play a Heritage or whatever cause he's serious about music !
                            You guys are just so jealous cause you can't afford a Gibson or your not really into music like I am.
                            Since I don't know you very well, I must ask.... are you being serious?
                            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Well, he has been known to occasionally throw some BS around but after some time I've come to the conclusion that, no, he's usually just being sarcastic and/or funny which IMO is particularly evident in this specific post

Comment

This is another of my guitars. It's a Gibson too. It's horribly overpriced. I own it. It's fun to play.

*Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
                                Originally posted by Slash2987
                                Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
                                Originally posted by PVFan
                                I'm a good sex man.
                                Originally posted by Grumpy
                                I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

Working...
                                X