banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did you decide on your FIRST guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How did you decide on your FIRST guitar?

Just went and played heaps and picked one that was affordable and that felt awesome! I wasnt even looking for a jackson soloist type thing, especially not a black one, but when i picked up that ps2 it was just magic and played so nicely...and ill keep it forever!
    My Soundclick page.

Comment

My first was a Yamaha classical guitar. I don't remember much about it, other than the fact that it was made late 70s/early 80s and was handed down to me by my grandmother. I got rid of it long before I knew any better. There are many times that I wish I still had it sitting around.

My first electric was the Ibanez I still have. I bought it because at the time I was interested in metal, and this thing had a 24 fret neck, 3 pickups (two if them were big pickups = pretty cool to someone who doesn't know any better), and a tremolo bridge. Wasn't old enough to apprciate tone and feel. I felt that to play metal, I had to have a guitar like that. Plus, let's not forget, when you're 16 and a reluctant Mom is paying for it, chances are that you'll end up with a $200 guitar.
      Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

The ebay description...

lol.

I had been playing for 9 months, so i could go and try it out locally and i liked it enough to get it.

Comment

Well, it all came down to 3 guitars: one of those newfangled Ovations, a Guild F-50R (because Clapton was in an ad with a maple model), and a Martin D-35. I played them all and chose the Martin.

As was said in the last Indiana Jones movie, "you chose wisely, my son."

But I STILL have G.A.S. for a F-50R!
          John Cipollina August 24, 1943 - May 29, 1989

Comment

Well when i started i didnt know what was good for the money so i basically got a few recommendations and just bought one that looked cool to me. I still have my first guitar and i think to myself "what the hell was i thinking". I remember my other choice and i cant figure out to this day why i didnt get the other guitar rather than the one i got. lol
            Gibson Les Paul R8 in Ebony
            Roland Cube 60
            Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier Head & Mesa Boogie 2x12 Horizontal Rectifier Cabinet
            BadCat Unleash V1 Attenuater/Re-amplifier
            LoopMaster Clean Dirty A/B Looper Switcher
            Mogami Cables
            Mooer Candy Toppers
            Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.
            Extras: AmpWedge & Auralex Great Gramma ISO Platform

Comment

my first guitar was my grranma's acoustic but i'm not going to o**** that. my first real one i got was based on looks only it looked like hendrix's strat it was a squier affinity wow it sucked
              Gear: Carvin CT6 flame top(alnico 2 pro,JB), Strat scappoled fretboard(59,CC), Morgan monroe ovation knock-off, yamaha nylon acoustic,Boss super overdrive with TS-808 "silver" analogman mod, Boss DS-1 with keeley mod, Vox wah with true bypass mod, Fender Super Reverb 65.

Originally Posted by Jeff_H
              The APH is like slipping into a tub of warm honey spashed with the silky essence of virgins.

Comment

After seeing the ballroom scene in Back To The Future I knew I HAD to play guitar. I went to the music store with ma and pa to look around, and after 5 minutes i chose (chose as in, "ooohhh baby I want THAT one!!")a White MIM Fat Strat with a Maple neck... based on looks alone!!! remember this was before I'd had a lesson or anything!

What actually happened was I rented a single-pickup Yamaha knockoff of a Jackson dinky that looked like it was about to fall apart. Most of the paint had been knocked and chipped like someone attacked it with a hammer. I think the hardware was not steel but compressed rust. But I loved it and it was all mine, $30 for 30 days. Plus I got some lessons started

at day 29 of the 30 day rental my folks saw I was serious (practiced guitar lessons for about 5 hours a day for the entire month) and surprised me a few weeks early for my birthday with a Crate GX15 and a red MIM Strat Std. They padi for 1/3rd birthday present and 1/3rd 8th grade graduation present so the remaining 1/3rd I paid off over time with my folks.

I still have that Strat and even though its been mooded heavily its still my first real axe

Comment

My parents bought me my first guitar when I was about 7 - a 1960s jazzbox style german made guitar in mint condition.

The first one I bought for myself from a shop was a Washburn MG74 H-S-H. Liked the look of it in the store, and liked the way it played.

I put a Screamin Demon in the bridge of it later.

Comment

Working...
                  X