22 frets vs. 24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 22 frets vs. 24

i like 22 more 21 more, 24 is just too much, and too metal imho.
    Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

i still dont see a purpose for a 24th fret even for metal styles
      2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

I don't own any guitars with 24 frets and I don't miss the 23rd or 24th until I want to get that high on a solo. But given the fact that we're a three piece band, I don't find much need to get that high very often.
        www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

I use the 23rd and 24th frets quite a bit on my Carvin. To be hon3st, I preffrer the neck pickup sound from a 24 as opposed to a 22. It is brighter and snappier, but that's what I want from a neck pickup. I want all the chime and detail I can get.
          Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

If neck pickup placement is such a big issue, could you build a guitar with the bridge pickup and bridge moved back to compensate for that lost space you encounter with a 24 fret guitar? Would the neck pickup sound the same that way?

phear teh guitar pissing kitty of DEWM!!!

Comment

the fretboard crowds onto the space where the neck pickup should be on a 24 fret so you cant really move the neck pickup onto the fretboard to compensate, the only way is to have less neck touching the body to make room.
              2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

Originally posted by Nate
                If neck pickup placement is such a big issue, could you build a guitar with the bridge pickup and bridge moved back to compensate for that lost space you encounter with a 24 fret guitar? Would the neck pickup sound the same that way?
                The distance from the bridge to the 24th fret has to be 1/4 of the scale length. The only way to "move back" the bridge as you suggest is to increase the scale length.
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
                My Music

Comment

Originally posted by aleclee
                  I'm still confused. What problem does that solve? As far as I can tell, all it does in solving the "problem" of pickup positioning is move it closer to where it is on a 22 fret instrument.
                  Answered your own question there. After further reading, I think the neck pickup on the JET Earlewood may be in the standard place for a 22 fret guitar.

For an interesting read, here's an article written by Jeffrey Earle T. on his concept of tone.

Tone Treatise

If the LP sound is your benchmark for neck pickup tonality, then yeah, 22 fretters are "better" (given your taste) and moving the pickup as far as possible from the bridge is desireable. Just keep in mind that such sweeping statements are far from absolute and that others' mileage may vary.
                  I started out with "I prefer..."

Not an absolute.

As for scale, I think it's presumptuous to say that there's a "best" scale for tone, particularly in the context of 22 vs 24 fret guitars.
                  I never said it was the best scale for tone. I said it's the best scale for having 24 frets. A slightly longer scale may be better as far as use of the extra two frets goes, but then you've got to put the pickups even closer together. On a shorter scale guitar, they'd be useless unless you've got tiny fingers.

A quote from JETGuitars.com ToneFAQ :
                  Q: Why do you use a 25 inch scale?

The 'traditional' manufacturers i.e. Gibson & Fender chose the shorter 24.7 inch & longer 25.5 inch scale lengths respectively. A longer scale mainly gives more string tension. That results in sharper attack and requires more physicality in playing (makes sense when you think of Fender=twang). A shorter scale is easier on the hands, but sounds sloppier unless you are using heavy strings or a very clean sound (Gibson=jazz, at least in the 1940s). Modern builders, including JET, often go down the middle as a matter of splitting the difference between those of different taste.

There's certainly a tendency for longer-scaled instruments to sound different from shorter ones but which is better is strictly a matter of taste. If it weren't, builders like Tom Anderson wouldn't offer their instruments in multiple scale lengths.
                  Yes, as I said, I wasn't talking about sound as far as scale goes. I like Strats and Les Pauls.

As for "direct coupling", that sounds like Ed Roman's marketing mumbo jumbo. I won't say anything more on that topic.
                  That's probably where I got it from. I dunno. Anyways, it means it's bolted right to the neck (I think I said top last time).
                  "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so." ~ Ford Prefect

Comment

I never understood why people complain about the neck pickup on a 24 fret guitar. It's not as if the 24 fret neck renders the neck pup completely unusable. It still functions. The tone isn't so way off that it merits this level of badmouthing (IMO).

I've played 24 fret dual humbucker guitars and the neck pup is never as bad as some people make it out to be. I have a feeling some players like to feel picky and discerning, but when you get right down to it, this isn't an issue that merits this much conversation.

Just my .02. I'm not an authority on the subject because I play Fenders.
                    It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
                    - David St. Hubbins

Comment

Originally posted by kill your scene
                      I never understood why people complain about the neck pickup on a 24 fret guitar. It's not as if the 24 fret neck renders the neck pup completely unusable. It still functions. The tone isn't so way off that it merits this level of badmouthing (IMO).

I've played 24 fret dual humbucker guitars and the neck pup is never as bad as some people make it out to be. I have a feeling some players like to feel picky and discerning, but when you get right down to it, this isn't an issue that merits this much conversation.

Just my .02. I'm not an authority on the subject because I play Fenders.
                      But it is. The neck pickup on 24 fret guitars sounds closer to my ears like a middle pickup on a 22 fret guitar. It is just lifeless. I guess some people it bothers, others it doesn't. It drives me crazy though.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer
                        it is just lifeless.
                        Really? That's not debatable? I think Vai does OK, all things considered.

Originally posted by Mincer
                        I guess some people it bothers, others it doesn't.
                        Now that sound more like it.
                        It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
                        - David St. Hubbins

Comment

Working...
                        X