banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would You Change The Pups In A Sig Model?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Would You Change The Pups In A Sig Model?

Originally posted by regan View Post
    Oh right! lmao, how did I even come across this!!
    That's cool...topic is still relevant, right?

Personally, I have changed the pickups in most "signature" guitars I've owned. Just because an artist uses it, doesn't mean it works for YOU. Also, just because it sounds great in the artist's guitar, doesn't mean that every instrument that appears to be just like it will be an equally good fit.

Comment

Yes. I bought an Eric Johnson Strat many years ago and ripped those pickups out of there as I'm not interested in his tone at all. Those guitars are an absolute mess to play due to their sticky finish.

Comment

Guitars are tools for making music, if you don't like the pickups.... yessir change those babies out....

I never consider resale factors of guitars from customizing them just like I don't worry about marks on my hammers or grass stains on my mower.

Make it what you like!
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Anyone who has ever changed pickups in a Les Paul has changed pickups in a sig model. :P
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
            Anyone who has ever changed pickups in a Les Paul has changed pickups in a sig model. :P
            hahaha.
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Yes, I would. A signature guitar isn’t much different from a modded guitar or a guitar build. It’s just someone’s interpretation of what the instrument should be for that person’s style/technique. Perhaps the exception would be a replica of Brian May’s guitar...and who knows after some time of realizing I can’t sound like him.

Comment

Originally posted by wevard View Post
                Yes, I would. A signature guitar isn’t much different from a modded guitar or a guitar build. It’s just someone’s interpretation of what the instrument should be for that person’s style/technique. Perhaps the exception would be a replica of Brian May’s guitar...and who knows after some time of realizing I can’t sound like him.
                Welcome to the forum!
                I'd say a signature guitar is pretty close to a player's preferences, after concessions to market/cost/etc get inserted in there. Rarely does a sig model get built that is *exactly* what the artist used/uses. Sometimes what an artist likes is too quirky. Sometimes they use parts from a competing company.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                X