banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So this guy tried to get me to buy a Variax today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So this guy tried to get me to buy a Variax today...

Line 6 makes a good product, but make no mistake about why they're popular.
    They succeed at Guitar Center because Line 6 has a great marketing team.
    They stand behind those walls of classic tube amps lending credibility to
    their digital product, then send skilled salesmen to the stores for on-hands
    training about their products. This salesman, who likely knows nothing about
    Duncans, not to mention tone, is only armed with the information the Line 6
    rep left him with. The same thing happened with PRS Guitars. Paul Reed
    Smith used to have phone conference meetings with guitar floor staff at
    Guitar Center, when I worked there in 88-90. Observing how certain products get pushed, when salesmen are informed, shows you what needs
    to be done to launch a product. :fing25:
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
      This salesman, who likely knows nothing about
      Duncans, not to mention tone, is only armed with the information the Line 6
      rep left him with.
      Most of the salesmen I've encountered more often than not either a.) do what you're talking about in that they're trying to sell you the Newest shineiest piece of crap that just came off the truck or b.) they recommmend equipment based on what they like, rather than what you need or what your playing style/request requires.

However, I find the second one to be more detrimental to a guitarist making a bad purchase. I've run into that "buy this because it's got this and this and this" and more features than you'll ever need, use, or want. But the fact that a salesperson, who is usually a guitarist themselves (I assume), either doesn't really know anything about tailoring a sale to a person.
      I'm sure there's a market for the Variax, in fact I'm almost certain because there's scores of cover bands and studio/experimental musicians who don't give a flying sh*t how aesthetics or perfect dead on smack dab in the center famous guitar or amp sound that could and would make ideal use of such a product.
      But for the guitarist who is looking for one tone out of one guitar and one amp those kinds of sale-pitches aren't really an appropriate or wise thing to do. Make a sale based on what the customer wants, not what some company is marketing.
      I'm just really adding my 2 Cents to what you're saying, and I agree with you.

Comment

Originally posted by B2D
        Man, what an ******* that other salesman was! Talk about not qualifying for a pitch... jeez.

BTW... Guitar Center isn't a Peavey dealer, so how did you get a 5150 from them?

it was a used one that some other GC in california had or something O_o

I dunno, but when I went in there trying out mesas the salesman said "yea we got a 5150 in some store in california we can order if you want it"

so i did...
        When i got the 5150 it had no tubes so I'm waiting for the GC to get tubes for it and then i'm going to try it and eventually buy it.

yea...that salesman at the store just kept pushing me to buy it...oh well i'm still getting the JS w00t

and btw, I like how the JS i'm getting sounds but I just feel like putting some duncans in them...

and this thing is really nice. it isn't too heavy and isn't too off-balanced... The neck is a good size and much more comfortable than the wizard II on my RG (yea i'm passed the "smaller=better" stage mwahaha)...

the JS i'm looking at is a nice see-through crimson... it has a decent tremolo on it that doesn't go out of tune. I was dive bombing like crazy on it and stayed in tune fine.
        This guitar caught my eye as soon as i saw it and it just feels good in my hands...by the end of spring break i'm going to have it! woohoo

btw, i love having a job it lets me buy things
        Last edited by Razor1911; 03-31-2004, 06:30 PM.
        RG470 w/EMG 85/81
        Strat w/Duncan Invader & Vintage Staggered

Comment

Ok. i really did nt want to complain but here is my guitar sales man story. First, i like line 6 stuff and have a pod. Second, i happen to be a sales person and make a damn fine living doing it but im not sleazy. Ok here goes. I go into a Sam Ash, a place i swore i d never buy anything greater than a pack of picks and began trying out Les Pauls. Been hankering for one for a while. So , i end up with this really sweet 57 historic goldtop. i fall in love, negotiate a fair deal and split. I then find out that it is a three year old guitar that has been sitting there. Now , normally this would not bother me but there have been many changes to the historic line in terms of upgraded pickups more accurate inlays etc. I go back and tell them i m unhappy due to this. The manager says he wants me to be happybut offers no solutions. I ask for a couple hunj back he tells me no money back but he will hook me up on my next purchase!! I tell him, dude, after dropping 2k theres not going to be any more purchases for awhile. The sob doesnt even offer me a new set of strings! I got 3 year old strings and all I wanted was a break on the price. Anyway, some jackoff sales kid says to me, "why would you want a new guitar, this one is closer to being vintage!" CLOSER TO BEING VINTAGE!!! I almost strangled him. I said, KID i have effect pedals older than you how dare you insult my intelleigence. You want to talk about this being vintage, call me in 20 years. He says, "See what i mean. Now you only have to wait 17 more years" Needless to say, i returned the guitar and got what i wanted elsewhere. SAM ASH :fing25: I love the little dancing guy
          If you are not weird , you're strange

Comment

Working...
          X