Quality of new Jacksons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Quality of new Jacksons?

So, no drilling or mods to mount the original floyd? Is the stock one problematic or just will wear after a few years on the knife edges due to softer metal??
    The local shop put out a KE3 the other night with the Eerie des swirl. I never cared much for that, but this one was primarily dark purple around the perimeter and since thats my fav, it just blew my mind.. It just felt cheap for the $599 sticker.. And Im figureing an addl $200 for pups.....
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Spot on, BR. AN OFR is a Drop-in replacement, but the JT-580LP will work fine for a few years if youŽre not Steve Vai and set it up properly. YouŽll see a bit more of the rout showing on the bass side though, because the JT 580 (and most other licensed trems, for that matter) has symmetrical wings while the OFR has asymmetrical ones,

IŽm not 100% sure, but Ithink the bushings on the OFR posts are thicker, so yu may have to use a drill press to widen the holes slightly. But other than that...
      Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus
        IŽm not 100% sure, but Ithink the bushings on the OFR posts are thicker, so yu may have to use a drill press to widen the holes slightly. But other than that...
        Definitely.I learnt that doing a Takeuchi -> OFR retrofit requires the proper OFR bushings, and hence the drill press, the hard way *looks at blunt knife edges*

Granted, mine was an Ibanez Lo-TRS, but all the JT-580 units I've seen came with the same posts (as far as I can tell) as the ones that Ibanez uses on their Takeuchi loaded axes; even if they're not exactly the same, they've definitely got the same dimensions.

Its no biggie; a 5 min job on the drill press. I did mine with a help of a friend at school; one dude to hold the body down, one dude to operate the drill press, and it worked out great.

And if the JT-580s perform anything like the Lo-TRSs, and if you enjoy doing Vai impersonations like I do, definitely go for an OFR
        Ibanez RG 470 Hotrodded w/ OFR, SD FS/JB Jr(b)/DD, 90% of original hardware replaced
        Jim Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby Hotrodded w/ TB, LED indicator, BC109s, will have sweep range selector and booster circuit
        Carl Martin Rock Drive
        ISP Decimator
        BOSS DD-3
        Laney LC-15R

My Rig

Comment

Thanks, Jono, I wasnŽt 100% sure because, as most of you have probably noticed, I refuse to buy or spend serious amounts of time with any Non-USA guitar, even a Jackson. The only known exception is my Charvel Model 6
          Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Thanks Jono L and Zerb! I used to be a Whammy aholic, but now Im learning to actually play, I try to rely on my fingers for vibrato so I wont be abusing the whammy. Also, when I have the need for heavy trem action, Ill pull out my RG570 with the "edge" and its my understanding that the edge is hardened like an original floyd..
            Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
            X