OK to plug/unplug things in FX loop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK to plug/unplug things in FX loop?

I've never really dealt with FX loops before, and I was wondering if it was a "bad thing" to plug/unplug things in the FX loop while the amp was running?

Re: OK to plug/unplug things in FX loop?

I don't think it'll hurt it, but it's best to put it on standby first.
    You're more likely to damage an FX unit than the amp, especially if you plug
    a rackmount FX unit in, while the unit's send or return is higher than unison.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
      I don't think it'll hurt it, but it's best to put it on standby first.
      You're more likely to damage an FX unit than the amp, especially if you plug
      a rackmount FX unit in, while the unit's send or return is higher than unison.
      Absolutely, less wear and tear equals more longevity. I turn my volume down and use the bypass switch always before doing anything in my effects. In fact, to avoid any power surge issues I basically shut all power down to my pedals as well before revampin' anything in there. You should always turn any power off to your effects before pulling cables and ac adapter plugs to avoid possible shock or damage.

-Bob

Comment

Originally posted by midnite_man
        Absolutely, less wear and tear equals more longevity. I turn my volume down and use the bypass switch always before doing anything in my effects. In fact, to avoid any power surge issues I basically shut all power down to my pedals as well before revampin' anything in there. You should always turn any power off to your effects before pulling cables and ac adapter plugs to avoid possible shock or damage.

-Bob
        Do you turn the volume down to minimize the "pop"? I've never heard of this pedal power surge phenomena you mentioned...how common is it? When you say "shock" and "damage" are we talking rack gear or what? I was just using a 'lil old chorus pedal in my loop.

Comment

Originally posted by mrid
          I've never really dealt with FX loops before, and I was wondering if it was a "bad thing" to plug/unplug things in the FX loop while the amp was running?
          It's not super great for anything, but generally doesn't hurt anything, unplug the return first, then the send (same if you are using a preamp output and power amp input for an FX loop with rack gear). Some amps make a seemless transition (as the return or power amp input jack is what connects/breaks the preamp buffer/preamp output to the next stage) ... If she still pops then if tube ... standby, if S.S. just turn it off for a second ... but like the guy said before, power down is always a good before insertion/removal. Just unplug the return, make your change, and then plug it back in.
          ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
          ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
          Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Working...
          X