Thinking of buying an SG today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of buying an SG today.

Not sure whether it'll be the SG Classic or the SG Standard. So, as a non-SG user, I wanted to ask a few questions for experts

1) How would the Classic act with the P90s in a high gain setting? I'm not talking Slipknot....more Clutch to AiC. I'm using an Orange Thunderverb 50 with no boosters.

2) I have a Super Distortion in my Les Paul Trad and like it lots. I also have a spare one lying around.....how would a Super Distortion sound in an SG?

3) Does the SG Classic have humbucker routing? If so, how easy are those pickguards to cut as I'd want to keep the P90 in the neck. I think.
    Blessed is he who expects little for he shall not be disappointed.
    You can educate ignorance but you can not educate stupidity.

Originally posted by stratocastered
    In a world where its necessary for a man to wax his chest, you'll find me parallel parking perfectly with a 12-pack and a full beard.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/c./a4/11...65/Artist/link

Re: Thinking of buying an SG today.

If you can swing it try the 61 (i think that's the year) reissue.

Shop the best selection of popular guitars: ✅ guaranteed low price, ✅ free shipping, ✅ 0% financing, ✅ 8% back in rewards.
    Pulse 2AM - YouTube
    Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

yep - that's out of my price range, unfortunately....

In a world where its necessary for a man to wax his chest, you'll find me parallel parking perfectly with a 12-pack and a full beard.

Comment

Too bad, it's out of my range also but it's killer.
        Pulse 2AM - YouTube
        Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

yea - i was checking them out. a student of mine has the standard and it's a killer guitar. i'm tempted to go for that and just drop the SD in just to see.

Comment

The "worn" SG's aren't a bad guitar and you don't have to drop a lot of cash. They had a ebony one for awhile...I liked it.
            Last edited by innerdreamrecords.co; 03-06-2010, 10:31 AM.
            Pulse 2AM - YouTube
            Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

the Classics are on my shoping list as well... only thing i remember i didn't like about them is they have smaller frets then an SG Standard...

P90's are get sounding

Comment

unfortunately, i much prefer the look of the standards. bound neck and trapezoid inlays - not to mention the pearl inlay name rather than the decal.
                i did notice though that the Classics are going for $899 on GC.com - I think GC also has a 10% price beater deal going on...

Comment

Originally posted by ricc View Post
                  unfortunately, i much prefer the look of the standards. bound neck and trapezoid inlays - not to mention the pearl inlay name rather than the decal.
                  i did notice though that the Classics are going for $899 on GC.com - I think GC also has a 10% price beater deal going on...
                  ya in truth i prefer the SG Standards too... but i'd still love a P90 SG oneday.... maybe even a LP Special with P90's

Comment

Go and bring back pictures, quick now. LOL
                    Pulse 2AM - YouTube
                    Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

ha! I will - I still need to post pics of the Peavey Wolfgang I picked up.
                      After the SG, I'm getting a G&L Rampage (Tribute) - that's in a month or so

Comment

Originally posted by WhoFan View Post
                        ya in truth i prefer the SG Standards too... but i'd still love a P90 SG oneday.... maybe even a LP Special with P90's
                        +1. I dig the standard, but I am a humbucker man. P90s are nice, but I wouldn't want them in a guitar that I play that much. I would have to get a guitar designated for that. But yeah, that's just me...
                        - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

i hate this forum! you've got me looking at sg's now!! lol
                          our first drummer died in a bizzare gardening accident!

I won't dance in a club like this,
                          'Cause all the girls are sluts,
                          And the beer tastes just like piss.

Comment

If you're a member of this forum sooner or later you HAVE to get an SG. A standard is likely to come with a 498T in the bridge which is a great pickup so don't replace it until you've given it a try.

Comment

G&L Rampage
                              I will be over as soon as you get that one! Brushing up on my AIC as we speak.
                              Pulse 2AM - YouTube
                              Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Working...
                              X