Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thinking of buying an SG today.

Originally posted by ricc View Post
    Not sure whether it'll be the SG Classic or the SG Standard. So, as a non-SG user, I wanted to ask a few questions for experts

1) How would the Classic act with the P90s in a high gain setting? I'm not talking Slipknot....more Clutch to AiC. I'm using an Orange Thunderverb 50 with no boosters.

2) I have a Super Distortion in my Les Paul Trad and like it lots. I also have a spare one lying around.....how would a Super Distortion sound in an SG?

3) Does the SG Classic have humbucker routing? If so, how easy are those pickguards to cut as I'd want to keep the P90 in the neck. I think.

Love your amp - i am saving for a Thunderverb50 myself

I really think a P90 SG can handle a great deal of gain, with no problem.

Lets think about it :

1st (maybe even the 2nd) Black Sabbath album was done w P90's aswell as all live performances, Goatsnake use P90 equiped LP's and so too does SunnO))), and they use Massive Amounts of Gain N' Volume.

Greg Anderson from Sunn O))) at ABC2, Glasgow, Sunday 12th February 2006.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2543302...42581/sizes/o/ - a little (((louder))) than a single 50W head.

Last edited by SirJackdeFuzz; 03-06-2010, 02:55 PM.
    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

if you're willing to go used the Standard in Natural Burst is one of the prettiest guitar finishes there is, in my opinion. unfortunately they're out of production now, but they pop up on ebay pretty frequently. thats always a bit of a risk, though.

Comment

Originally posted by JaySwear View Post
        if you're willing to go used the Standard in Natural Burst is one of the prettiest guitar finishes there is, in my opinion. unfortunately they're out of production now, but they pop up on ebay pretty frequently. thats always a bit of a risk, though.

I agree that this is one of the nicer finishes on an SG, that and white.

If I can give you one piece of advice with SGs though, and this might seem very obvious, as with all other Gibsons, it's that you shouldn't buy anything you can't try first. I've played really good ones, but I've also played terrible ones.

It comes down to a simple question between those two models : are you a humbucker guy, or a p90 dude? If you already have humbuckers, that factors in. The inlays and headstock logo don't impact the tone. You gotta make the call.
        - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

That is one HORRIBLE looking SG. I hate that finish and the fret board is anaemic. SGs look best with a nice solid colour. Dark red or white preferably. And dark fretboards. Played through amps with EL34 output stages. Without too much gain. Sorry, starting to ramble. Stunk and droned. Goodnight everyone. I love you all.

Comment

Get an SG Classic.

Then stick a humbucker in the bridge or the neck, depending on your preference.

With the right pickguard, it will look like it was made that way.

Comment

I ended up with the Standard. I liked the sound of the Classic but did not care for the neck. I got a 2010 black Standard with a Levy's leather strap, 2 sets of strings out the door for a pretty good price.
              Blessed is he who expects little for he shall not be disappointed.
              You can educate ignorance but you can not educate stupidity.

Originally posted by stratocastered
              In a world where its necessary for a man to wax his chest, you'll find me parallel parking perfectly with a 12-pack and a full beard.
              http://www.reverbnation.com/c./a4/11...65/Artist/link

Comment

and here are some pics.....

In a world where its necessary for a man to wax his chest, you'll find me parallel parking perfectly with a 12-pack and a full beard.

Comment

I ended up with the Standard. I liked the sound of the Classic but did not care for the neck. I got a 2010 black Standard with a Levy's leather strap, 2 sets of strings out the door for a pretty good price.
                  Hells yeah dude! That freaking rocks! Looks just like mine, maybe a few months difference! Such cool guitars! Play her in good health!
                  - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

man that sucks that everybody and their gramma on this forum is getting a black Standard SG about the same time that i'm getting one.

Mine's about 9 years older than yours and has the wear and nicks to prove it but...yeah.
                    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Oh Yeah I forgot about black. That is absolutely stunning. There was a programme on BBC last night about the development of British Heavy Metal. Lots of SG's and they're always so eye catching. I have one but I want more. Congratulations.

Comment

By the way what pickups ? Is it the 490R/498T set ? I'm curious because I recently bought a Firebird Studio with these pickups and I really like them particularly the 498T.

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
                          man that sucks that everybody and their gramma on this forum is getting a black Standard SG about the same time that i'm getting one.

Mine's about 9 years older than yours and has the wear and nicks to prove it but...yeah.
                          And the cool thing is that none of us black standard owner will ever be in the same room again. It's funny because outside this forum I don't know anybody who owns a black SG.

Comment

If that SG Standard comes with Gibson Classic '57s, you won't even have to mess with the electronics (those humbuckers are magic in SGs, take this from a guy that used to rotate pickups in an SG Custom until I went back to 'em). Through your Orange it should sound great!
                            Originally posted by kevlar3000
                            I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                            Originally posted by Zerberus
                            Better is often the enemy of good
                            Originally posted by ginormous
                            Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

it came with the 498t/490r combo. i slapped a Super Distortion in there last night and it sounds magic.

Comment

it came with the 498t/490r combo. i slapped a Super Distortion in there last night and it sounds magic.
                                Glad to hear that sounds good. I'm finding, over the last few days, that the 498t lack a bit of punch. It cuts fine, but has no meat to it's sound. Glad you found something you dig in it.

Comment

Working...
                                X