banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nut lubricant for precise tremolo action and stability.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nut lubricant for precise tremolo action and stability.

This is the best product I've found.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you where to find it. I was doing a construction project at the manufacturer's facility about three years ago, and a maintenance worker gave me a can. This lubricant is specifically designed to prevent rust and lubricate wire, cables, and wire rope for mining industry applications. I am a witness that it also performs flawlessly at the guitar string/nut interface!
    I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Re: Nut lubricant for precise tremolo action and stability.

"Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

nut sauce?
      Yo, i'm Ryan™.

https://www.facebook.com/patchworklv
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=der6aGGzQTk
      ^link to 7 tracks of my band, Patchwork

Comment

I made my own from vasoline and graphite powder.

MM
        MM

2000 ES335LE Teal Blue, 2009 Gibson LP Trad Pro HCS, 2007 Edwards LP-130LTS/RE Lemon Drop, 2010 Gibson '50's Tribute Studio Goldtop.
        Carvin V3, Bogner Alchemist, Egnater Rebel 30, Peavey Classic 30, Dave Hunter Two-Stroke, Digitech GNX3, Carvin T100

Comment

Originally posted by MojoMonster View Post
          I made my own from vasoline and graphite powder.

MM

That was a good idea!
          I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

vasoline is a petrochemical....doesn't it stain the nut and corrode the finish?
            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by super rad stuff View Post
              +1 on the sauce
              Melancon T/Ibanez AT300 > MXR Carbon Copy > Wampler Pinnacle > Mesa Boogie Stiletto

Comment

I swear by Big Bends Nut Sauce. I've tried millions of things over the years, but this stuff is magical.

Comment

i use http://www.triflowlubricants.com/Tri...Lubricant.html

it works really well, just a drop on each nut slot when you put strings on.

mike

Comment

I've tried NutSauce and was totally unimpressed. I don't think it is anything other than vasoline. All the other lubes are too thin...not really that great either. But graphite in vasoline is a good idea. Still kinda thin but the graphite is the killer part. Or even a better idea is this...

It's a graphite-loaded PASTE. Works great and there's enough in a small container to last about 37 1/2 lifetimes (if you're wasteful).
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I just use like 3-in-1 machine oil, works good for me

Comment

A smooth, well cut nut is the best lubricant. I'll rub dry graphite powder in the nut slots every once in a while, but there is no substitute for a properly cut nut.

If you've never had your guitar's nut worked on, it does make a big difference. It's the biggest reason why, aside from crappy tuners, that cheap guitars don't stay in tune worth a damn. Bad nuts.
                        "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so." ~ Ford Prefect

Comment

Originally posted by KoreanGuitarMan View Post
                          A smooth, well cut nut is the best lubricant.
                          It's funny that guitar companies sell us tiny bottles for the price of a gallon of some industrial lubricant.....but I tend to agree about the perfectly dialed in nut. So often, I've seen guys go up a gauge on a nut cut for 9's, only to remedy the problem by using graphite, oils, vaseline etc. I really don't want all that junk on there.

The best money I've spent is a set of luthier files. One swipe through the slot and the binding problem is solved.
                          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                            It's funny that guitar companies sell us tiny bottles for the price of a gallon of some industrial lubricant.....but I tend to agree about the perfectly dialed in nut. So often, I've seen guys go up a gauge on a nut cut for 9's, only to remedy the problem by using graphite, oils, vaseline etc. I really don't want all that junk on there.

The best money I've spent is a set of luthier files. One swipe through the slot and the binding problem is solved.
                            i just end up filing mine down with sandpaper myself, and if i ever do actually "lube" the nut, i just go with a bit of pencil lead.
                            Yo, i'm Ryan™.

https://www.facebook.com/patchworklv
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=der6aGGzQTk
                            ^link to 7 tracks of my band, Patchwork

Comment

Working...
                            X