Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How high is your action?

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
    I have no idea what the numbers are and they change from guitar to guitar...

To me, no 2 guitars are the same...I set each one until it feels right then it is right...
    This is how I see it too. You can't use a "magic number" to set action. Each guitar is different, and playing style plays into it in a big way. Do you like fret buzz? I don't! So I set it as low as I can get it without buzz, but if I really dig in it will buzz just a little.

The way to get the lowest action is to adjust the truss rod to where the neck has just the slightest concave dip in it. You also have to make it straight by sometimes giving a twist to the neck to get it there. And look for high frets or bumps on the fretboard, as those will cause buzz and prevent low action. When you get a quality guitar with good build quality and fretwork, you can have some of the most wonderful and comfy low action ever...and what a difference it can make in your playing. Some guitars will never see that low action, and some will flex so much with humidity changes that you will be adjusting the neck more than enjoying your playing.

Comment

I guess it's standard. I don't really go too high or too low. I like to play bluesy with lots of string bending and vibrato, but I like to shred too. So the action has to suit both methods.

Comment

2.38mm (3/32) on both low and high e's on my Epi LP. I seem to like it here.

A bit more than 2.38mm (maybe 2.5mm) high e, 3.17mm low e on the Sheraton. I didn't set up it up to my specs yet as I'm quite happy with where it's at now, but I'm planning to put some elixir .11's on it and will then play around with height (as well as adjust intonation, etc).

Both guitars strung with .10's as far as I can remember.
        "The amp has been making a lot of noise and acting funky, perhaps it may be aware of the amount of rock it's about to be punished with" ~GearMannDude
        "30 days of dating doesn't seem like cheating. It seems like legitimate playing the field, and you happened to catch a pop fly..." ~Aceman
        "If all else fails, wank, fall asleep, come back to it the next day." ~GuitarStv
        "The crowd has no perception of tone...only timing and flow." ~Glassman

Comment

No, factory is usually right in the middle atleast on bass.
          BASSES: Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass/Ric 4003 Bass (Blue)
          Fender 51 P Bass RI/Traveler Bass
          Schecter 5 String (Sunburst)/Gibson SG EBO RI
          Epiphone Rivoli (VC Sunburst)
          Warwick Thumb BO/Kramer DMZ 4000/
          Fender Jazz 72 RI (Sunburst)/Ernie Ball Earthwood ABG
          Fender P Bass (White)/DiPinto Belvedere Deluxe (Black)
          Gibson 09 Thunderbird (Sunburst)
          Fender Jazz Bass 5 string (Sunburst)/Fender HMT bass (Red)
          Gibson EBO

Comment

Working...
          X