Fretboard radius and playability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fretboard radius and playability

Fretboards come in a whole heap of different radius', 7.5, 9.5, 10, 12, 16.......how do they affect playability????

Re: Fretboard radius and playability

The higher the radius, the flatter the fretboard. This means a high radius like 16 or 14 will allow easier bending during leads. Radii lower than that will allow easier chording.

Hope it helps!
    Originally posted by jmh151
    I'd hit that so hard that whoever could pull me out would be the King of England
    Originally posted by jeremy
    like if we were walking down the sidewalk and you said "hey check her out" chances are i already saw her and mentally sodomized her
    Originally posted by grumptruck
    Media only reports on what the sheeple wanna see/hear/read.
    Sometimes not read.
    dats hard

Comment

Originally posted by SamusChief View Post
      The higher the radius, the flatter the fretboard. This means a high radius like 16 or 14 will allow easier bending during leads. Radii lower than that will allow easier chording.

Hope it helps!
      Well, that's all feel man. I bend much better with rounded fretboards over flatter fretboards.
      Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
      Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

That's the accepted wisdom right there. Personally, I find flatter radii easier to play leads on period, regardless of bending. In particular, I find it easier to play faster leads, moving from string to string on a flatter radius. In general, I'm happiest with the 9.5"-14" range. Below that and I notice I'm working a little harder. Above that, and...I don't know...it just feels weird and I don't like it.
        ---------------------------
        The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Yes and no. It's a simple fact of physics that a flatter board will allow more bending at a given action level. You can bend on a low radius board; you just have to have higher action to achieve the same bend that you could do on a higher radius.

Originally posted by Andrew Lamprecht View Post
          Well, that's all feel man. I bend much better with rounded fretboards over flatter fretboards.
          ---------------------------
          The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

That's why I am such a fan of the 10-16 compound radius Warmoth does.
            My Sound Clips

Comment

While what these guys have said regarding the different playing characteristics of different fretboards is true...it's mostly a feel thing. You'll like what you're used to and what you bond with. Personally, I don't get on very well at all with anything above 10" and the closer to vintage 7.5" the better. In fact, the flat radius is one of the main reasons I'm selling my Aria; I just can't get used to it. You'll need to go out and play a tonne of guitars to really know which one you'll like the best.
              Last edited by Kam; 11-01-2010, 06:13 PM.
              I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

I don't know what radius mine is, but it's just about perfect for rhythm. Kinda hard to do leads, but that can be attributed to the 24 3/4" scale as well.
                Originally posted by jmh151
                I'd hit that so hard that whoever could pull me out would be the King of England
                Originally posted by jeremy
                like if we were walking down the sidewalk and you said "hey check her out" chances are i already saw her and mentally sodomized her
                Originally posted by grumptruck
                Media only reports on what the sheeple wanna see/hear/read.
                Sometimes not read.
                dats hard

Comment

Originally posted by SamusChief View Post
                  I don't know what radius mine is, but it's just about perfect for rhythm. Kinda hard to do leads, but that can be attributed to the 24 3/4" scale as well.
                  see. then for me it's easier to play leads on the 24 3/4" scale...

all preference...
                  Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
                  Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Lamprecht View Post
                    see. then for me it's easier to play leads on the 24 3/4" scale...

all preference...
                    Yeah, I'm the same. I can use heavier strings and still have them loose enough to really get behind some big ol' sexy bends.
                    I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

The flatter the board, the easier bends are, however, easier does not mean more comfortable. A 12" radius and a 24.75 inch length strung up with 11s is the most comfortable for me, I can barey play anything above 14", everything feels way too loose and flimsy.
                      Originally posted by jcthejester13
                      Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Comment

Let me just say anything without at least a 12" radius ( and Jumbo frets) gets Sh*tcanned.
                        Unless its an heirloom or something.
                        "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

I remember once trying an Epi LP and it woiuld play REALLY fast!!! I was surprised how fast I could play on that neck and how it felt better than an Ibby RG neck.

I guessed then that radius 12'' is for me.
                          Me(n)tal Distortion

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H View Post
                            That's why I am such a fan of the 10-16 compound radius Warmoth does.
                            Yup. The only proper way to design a fretboard that widens at the base, is to make the neck conical in nature, if heavy bending is going to take place. It also feels so much better.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies guys. I had already looked into Warmouth. I'm LH and necks (and lets face it anything about guitars) are rare and therefore hard to find and try out.

Metalblaze - I agree with you....I have an Epi dot which is surprisingly good for bending and speed playing, despite being a 'blues-type' guitar.

Comment

Working...
                              X