• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fretboard radius and playability

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
    ...sounds awful.
    I have a story for you...

I have two old Charvel Model A's, they sound the same....one had a bad truss rod nut (frozen). I replaced the neck with a Warmoth with SS frets. They still sound the same.

....and I have pretty good ears.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Of course, I lack the requisite intellectual capacity to engage in a theoretical discourse regarding the sociological and ethical implications of the absurd and incongruous concept of personal ownership of firearms and the ridiculous supposition that humans are capable of responsibly using said weapons.

Comment

I'm a big fan of the flatter board, I just find them easier all round and allow me to play more fluidly (and I'm no shredder).
      That said they can be more tiring for chord work, especially if you have the guitar hung low and don't chord 'properly'.
      It's a valve sporker... it sporks valves

Comment

I prefer 14 " Radius for easy bending and vibrato and for chords with true medium jumbos .

But it's all preference - everyone has different ideals for what they like.

Some guys can jump from guitar to guitar with way different Radii and neck sizes and scale lengths and not even care and still play just as well on either- which is pretty amazing to me- with all the technical stuff we're supposed to be able to do now days.

Comment

the flatter the radius, the lower the action can go without fear of fretting out during bends. Jacksons have 12-16'' compound radius and can have ridiculously low action with zero fret buzz even with really heavy bends.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
            Thanks for all the replies guys. I had already looked into Warmouth. I'm LH and necks (and lets face it anything about guitars) are rare and therefore hard to find and try out.

Metalblaze - I agree with you....I have an Epi dot which is surprisingly good for bending and speed playing, despite being a 'blues-type' guitar.
            Try contacting Tommy at USA Custom Guitars, better necks!

Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
            When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
            Red Devils - 1% all the way!
            Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
            Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

I have trouble playing chords in the upper register on a guitar without an almost flat (12 or above) fretboard, and I like the feeling of slightly rounded out in the lower frets so I think I NEED a compound radius fretboard.

As for this discussion.. I play a big jazz box with a 16 radius, completely flat fretboard but a nice big U shape neck so it sort of balances out the comfort level.
              Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
              I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
              Andrew - None

Comment

Originally posted by Uk Ant View Post
                I'm a big fan of the flatter board, I just find them easier all round and allow me to play more fluidly (and I'm no shredder).
                That said they can be more tiring for chord work, especially if you have the guitar hung low and don't chord 'properly'.
                Indeed, while I do shred, I'm not a Paul Gilbert or Jason Becker type guy where I play stuff where there's heap of shredding in a song. I'm mainly play rock and metal rhythms, and then also solo, and even so, I do find that big frets and a relatively big radius helps to make the playing more smooth and fluid.

Originally posted by TimmyPage View Post
                I have trouble playing chords in the upper register on a guitar without an almost flat (12 or above) fretboard, and I like the feeling of slightly rounded out in the lower frets so I think I NEED a compound radius fretboard.

As for this discussion.. I play a big jazz box with a 16 radius, completely flat fretboard but a nice big U shape neck so it sort of balances out the comfort level.
                12 inches isn't even close to flat bro Compare a 12 inch radius to a classical guitar, and the 12 inches is still really round.
                16 inches is getting closer to flat, but again, still not as flat as you're making it out to be.
                I have guitars with a 430mm radius (16.92 inches) and there is still a definite curve compared to a flat/infinite radius fretboard.
                I'm like you too, I love how chords feel with a big radius far up the neck. I'm not a jazz player as such, but I'm always dabbling in chords outside the usual rock root 5, and 1 3 5 type stuff.

That all said, what guitar are you using>? Some sort of custom made axe?
                I can't think of any production line jazz box that comes with a fretboard radius that big.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                  Thanks for all the replies guys. I had already looked into Warmouth. I'm LH and necks (and lets face it anything about guitars) are rare and therefore hard to find and try out.

Metalblaze - I agree with you....I have an Epi dot which is surprisingly good for bending and speed playing, despite being a 'blues-type' guitar.

Browse our extensive collection of over 900 left handed guitars and basses at Southpaw Guitars in Houston Texas. Our knowledgeable staff is here to assist you in finding your dream guitar.

Nuff said
                  "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                  "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I like the fell of a 9.5" radii. It feels very comfortable to me. I particularly like this radii with 11's

Anything lighter it feels well...... odd!
                    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by Bludave View Post
                      Thanks, just on the wrong continent unfortunately. I'm downunder as well as backwards

Comment

Working...
                      X