LP Studio's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LP Studio's

I am considering one of these. I see several models out there, and of course I am in the research stage. Wonder what folks like and why...you know...the usual. So...feel like sharing your thoughts?

Re: LP Studio's

They are nice for the price but magically matching a solid Les Paul with an ABR isn't going to happen most of the time.

The most interesting one are the ones with ebony board, IMHO.

Comment

I had one a few years back. Studio faded. Changed out the pickups, changed the hardware to cream, it looked really good, sounded good also. I actually ended up selling it, because although I enjoyed it, every time I would pick it up, I would get this feeling that it was lacking a lot of things my 'perfect' les paul would have (binding, flame maple, etc.). I know it's superficial, but what ever.

Anyways, they are great guitars though, but you have to play them in person, as there are a lot of bad ones out there.
      - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

They're great guitars, if you don't mind the lack of binding.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Elec...tudio-60s.aspx

These ones have a flame top.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-L...20-i1476659.gc

Comment

I had a brown studio faded a few years ago and I sold it because it felt like it was lacking a bit. Now it could have been the cable or the amp I was playing through at the time, but the guitar just sounded meh. Especially when played clean. This was all stock and maybe it would have benefited from a pickup change or it could have been that it was weight relieved or it could have been x, y, or z.

From a construction stand point the frets were good, it was well balanced, and it played well. It just kind of boring sounding.

Take my experience with a grain of salt because there were a number of factors that could have led to the "meh" sound.

Comment

I'm just looking for the tone and I can live w/o the superficial stuff. It'd be nice...but not $400-$600 more nice. I am pulling a set of Duncan's (JB/Jazz) out of an '81 Ibby Artist because I want to drop the orig. Super 58's in. I could always stick them in an LP if I didn't dig the tones.
            I'd like to hear more about the bridge "issue."

Comment

There is no "bridge issue", unless you don't like the Nashville bridge that Gibson has been using for years. It's a none "issue", as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

I have friends that own them.....and seem to love them......
                BASSES: Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass/Ric 4003 Bass (Blue)
                Fender 51 P Bass RI/Traveler Bass
                Schecter 5 String (Sunburst)/Gibson SG EBO RI
                Epiphone Rivoli (VC Sunburst)
                Warwick Thumb BO/Kramer DMZ 4000/
                Fender Jazz 72 RI (Sunburst)/Ernie Ball Earthwood ABG
                Fender P Bass (White)/DiPinto Belvedere Deluxe (Black)
                Gibson 09 Thunderbird (Sunburst)
                Fender Jazz Bass 5 string (Sunburst)/Fender HMT bass (Red)
                Gibson EBO

Comment

Studio is the entry level Les Paul and is the lowest model that is still real Les Paul in all its tone and features. They come with (usually) undesirable pickups, and lack frills such as neck and body binding. I really like the white ones as the lack of binding isn't as aesthetically obvious and they come with ebony fretboards. Good guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by TattooedCarrot View Post
                    They come with (usually) undesirable pickups,

How's that? They come with the exact same Gibson USA pickups that Gibson uses in all of the other Les Pauls.

Comment

I don't care about binding. It's lighter than a standard too. win-win for me.

Comment

The Studio Faded doesn't have the maple cap, right? Maybe that's why people don't like them as much. I've got a Fireburst Studio, and when someone else is playing it, it sounds GREAT.

Comment

Some of the old customs that people like do not have maple caps either as I recall.

Comment

I have a faded black and so far as I can tell, the only shortcut from the construction point of view is that the body wood grain pores are not filled and there's no binding, both of which are purely cosmetic. I personally like black and like the feel of the grain, so I didn't lose anything in the deal. In fact I paid a lot less than a standard, or custom, or whatever. Pickups, pots, wiring, bridge, nut, tuners, etc. all seem to be more or less concurrent with the more expensive option. If I decide to change the pickups to the best I can possibly find, I'm still ahead considering the purchase price of a studio compared to their flagship models.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
                              The Studio Faded doesn't have the maple cap, right? Maybe that's why people don't like them as much. I've got a Fireburst Studio, and when someone else is playing it, it sounds GREAT.
                              The Vintage Mahogany doesn't have a maple top, but the others do.

One thing to note- There was a time when the Studios were built with an Alder, and Swamp Ash bodies. Around the same time, some of them also had Maple necks. I believe this was in the early Eighties, but don't quote me on that.

Of course, there were other models in more recent years(Voodoo, Smartwood for instance), which were also made from woods other than Mahogany.

The regular Studio models of today are Mahogany/Maple top/Mahogany neck. The same as the normal Les Paul Standards.

Comment

Working...
                              X