• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LP Studio's

No.

Comment

Another Studio i would love to have, but, is allready out of production, is the P90 Tribute model, in worn black.

Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

So...a Tokai LS 50 Love Rock, MIJ, 96, stock...$750...instead of an LP Studio (which was the original target)...do you do it?

Comment

Originally posted by jbear View Post
          Was checking these out today at Sam Ash as I needed some random stuff. I was surprised at how light the Studio is. I guess the chambered body has to do with that. I also preferred the neck to the slightly thinner neck of the Faded's.
          Anyone know the skinny on older Studio's v newer ones? Have they always been chambered? Always been 490/498's?
          I am gettin' closer...then again that Yamaha Mike Stern is callin' my name : )
          The Deluxe model is a lil thicker and heavier than the faded and reg studios
          Originally posted by grumptruck
          No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
          Originally posted by Gear Used
          PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
          Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
          Mesa Stiletto Ace
          Gurus 5015
          Mesa Widebody 1X12
          Pedalboard

Comment

I think they are ugly.

I just recently started liking Les Pauls, and, to my dismay, the only ones I like are the standard looking ones --- top binding, bound fretboard, trapezoid inlays, covered pickups.

The reason it's dismaying is that, in case you haven't noticed, them thangs are 'spensive.
            my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Originally posted by ImmortalSix View Post
              I think they are ugly.

I just recently started liking Les Pauls, and, to my dismay, the only ones I like are the standard looking ones --- top binding, bound fretboard, trapezoid inlays, covered pickups.

The reason it's dismaying is that, in case you haven't noticed, them thangs are 'spensive.
              Like I've stated earlier, in my opinion, although it is superficial, such things are integral parts of a true "Les Paul". My studio was great, but I never saw it as a true LP.

In my opinion, and I have given some thought to this because of this lengthy thread on a guitar that generates various opinions, you have three options when buying a Les Paul Studio.

1) You truly could live with a studio. You understand that it's a model made without the full appointments of the model, and you're alright with that. You have shopped around and played all studios in a 200 mile radius, and have selected a real jem, in a color you dig. It sounds good enough not to make you feel the need to get a higher up model after you fall in love with it.

2) You realize that you really like Les Pauls, and understand that buying a studio for you is just a way of getting one without shelling out more cash. You should probably just save up and scope the used market for a traditional, trad pro, or standard, but you can't wait. You'll buy the studio, be happy for 6 months while you convince yourself that it's all you need in a LP, sell it for a loss, and start scratching pennies for a year until you can get another one.

3) You think the studio line has it figured out. Those suckers buying the higher up LP models are all focused on looks, and you're smarter than that. LOL at them as you save 1000$ that you can invest somewhere else. Little do you know that you'll love the LP vibe, and 6 months down the road, you'll sell it for a loss and start shopping for a higher end model.

So really, there are two general paths. Studios are excellent instruments, if you understand where they sit in the line, and understand that they are a "basic" version of the model. Make 100% sure you know this, and are alright with this, because if not, you'll do what I did, and end up losing money.

Trust me, I know this from experience. I chose option #2.
              - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

I keep reading and the more I read, the better the Edwards and Tokai's are looking to me. They seem to rival the quality of the LP Std for the price of the Studio. I realize this ain't news to LP aficionados...but it is to me.

Comment

I keep reading and the more I read, the better the Edwards and Tokai's are looking to me. They seem to rival the quality of the LP Std for the price of the Studio. I realize this ain't news to LP aficionados...but it is to me.
                  It's a question of playing them to be honest. It varies on taste so largely that it can't be compared online. Personally, I have yet to play a Edwards or Tokai that has impressed me. I have played Standards that have.

Then again, some of the best tones I have heard live came from a friend of mine who has a Tokai.
                  - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

Sg?
                    Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
                    Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Lamprecht View Post
                      Sg?
                      That's another interesting point. If I may continue talking about myself (lol, it serves as a good example), after selling the Studio, my next Gibson was an SG. I was all like "This is a thousand dollars less (new) than a Standard, and has all the fixings".

Great, amazing guitar, which I will have another example of one day, but still not a Les Paul. If you want those big LP tones, an SG will not provide them. They are great, but it's not the same thing.

Comment

So...a Tokai LS 50 Love Rock, MIJ, 96, stock...$750...instead of an LP Studio (which was the original target)...do you do it?
                        A LS50 is fairly low end. It surely will look better and probably isn't chambered. But it will be poly coat, whereas the Gibson will have nitro. Whether the nitro has been correctly cured is a different matter, as is the fretwork on the Gibson.

I would decide it on the bridge. If it has a ABR-1 (unlikely) the Tokai surely wins. If it has a metric Nashville, skip. If it has a US nashville, decide by looks.

Also, for a 1996 I wouldn't blindly assume it is a real MIJ. Edwards for example are just assembled in Japan but the woodwork, paint and fretwork is all in China.

Comment

Originally posted by phil_104 View Post
                          like i've stated earlier, in my opinion, although it is superficial, such things are integral parts of a true "les paul". My studio was great, but i never saw it as a true lp.

In my opinion, and i have given some thought to this because of this lengthy thread on a guitar that generates various opinions, you have three options when buying a les paul studio.

1) you truly could live with a studio. You understand that it's a model made without the full appointments of the model, and you're alright with that. You have shopped around and played all studios in a 200 mile radius, and have selected a real jem, in a color you dig. It sounds good enough not to make you feel the need to get a higher up model after you fall in love with it.

2) you realize that you really like les pauls, and understand that buying a studio for you is just a way of getting one without shelling out more cash. You should probably just save up and scope the used market for a traditional, trad pro, or standard, but you can't wait. You'll buy the studio, be happy for 6 months while you convince yourself that it's all you need in a lp, sell it for a loss, and start scratching pennies for a year until you can get another one.

3) you think the studio line has it figured out. Those suckers buying the higher up lp models are all focused on looks, and you're smarter than that. Lol at them as you save 1000$ that you can invest somewhere else. Little do you know that you'll love the lp vibe, and 6 months down the road, you'll sell it for a loss and start shopping for a higher end model.

So really, there are two general paths. Studios are excellent instruments, if you understand where they sit in the line, and understand that they are a "basic" version of the model. Make 100% sure you know this, and are alright with this, because if not, you'll do what i did, and end up losing money.

Trust me, i know this from experience. I chose option #2.
                          cha ching!!!!

Comment

Some nice Les Pauls to looks at :

- reverse LP BFG (or, a Jr, with humbucker in the neck and not two P90's)
                            Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz View Post
                              Some nice Les Pauls to looks at :

This is perfection!

Comment

Some guitars pull of the plain top, and some don't.

Most of the Heritage Cherry Sunburst or whatever it's called do not pull it off.

But a very subtle burst in a brown / amber palette really can pull it off. Also, colors in the wine red spectrum can do plain top as well.

my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Working...
                                X