Is your Gibson NOT a Paul or an SG???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is your Gibson NOT a Paul or an SG???

Does anyone else here own a Gibson that is NOT a Les Paul or an SG? There have got to be a few more...maybe you have a V...a Firebird...a 335...an Explorer...an RD...a 175 or maybe something real strange like an L6S...maybe an L5S...or some other madness.

Mine is a Moderne...if you know what it is then you know...if you don't all I could say is that it looks kinda like a shark fin...and I love it. I saw a picture of one in a GP magizine when the "re-issues" came out and told my dad I wanted one...I was 4 at the time...17 years later...and still never having seen a real one except in magizines (they only made 143 of them) I found one at a music store...and It was all over! It is Korina and gold, it has a big fat 58 style neck. Soon...very soon it will have a set of Pearly Gates pups (zebra in the neck and black in the bridge)! I like the way it sounds now...but I have really gotten into an Alnico II thing the last several weeks!

I was just wondering if I was the only fan of non LP and non SG Gibsons.
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Re: Is your Gibson NOT a Paul or an SG???

Well, I have an affinity for SG's, and currently my main stage instrument is a Les Paul Custom, but I also own an '85 graphics V, and a '02 ES-135. I'm also looking at an old '80 ES-335S, which is kind of an oddball guitar, but the pawn shop is wanting 2 1/2 times what it's worth, so I don't know if that'll happen. It'd be kind of a interesting piece to own, but only for it's ice-breaker qualities, just because it IS such an oddball.
    www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

My favourite gibsons are the v:s
      I do prefer jacksons though, but the gibsons kicks ass too

Comment

a 335S is a strange axe...I could never get past the little necks on 80's Gibsons...but they are kinda cool in their own way!
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I have A Les PAul Standard
          I have a SG Standard
          I have a 335.
          "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
          "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I Have a 67' MelodyMaker (almost a SG) and a 76' Firebird Bi-centenial
            http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

´84 Flying V ´83 Designer with factory Kahler, and a Les Paul Gothic
              Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

My non SG LP gibson is a 1964 ES-330. I looks like a 335 to the untrained eye but upon clsoer examinatin you'll find the fingerboard meets the body at the 16th instead of 18th fret. Also it has no centerblock and two P90s, topped off with a vintage bigsby that, believe it or not, stays in tune. Of course that liquid teflon treatment might be the root of that blessing.

That guitar has a mean growl and is great for anything...strangely enough I don't like the clean tone near as much as the dirty.

Luke
                “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented
                  Does anyone else here own a Gibson that is NOT a Les Paul or an SG? There have got to be a few more...maybe you have a V...a Firebird...a 335...an Explorer...an RD...a 175 or maybe something real strange like an L6S...maybe an L5S...or some other madness.

Mine is a Moderne...if you know what it is then you know...if you don't all I could say is that it looks kinda like a shark fin...and I love it. I saw a picture of one in a GP magizine when the "re-issues" came out and told my dad I wanted one...I was 4 at the time...17 years later...and still never having seen a real one except in magizines (they only made 143 of them) I found one at a music store...and It was all over! It is Korina and gold, it has a big fat 58 style neck. Soon...very soon it will have a set of Pearly Gates pups (zebra in the neck and black in the bridge)! I like the way it sounds now...but I have really gotten into an Alnico II thing the last several weeks!

I was just wondering if I was the only fan of non LP and non SG Gibsons.
                  please post a pic...

Comment

02 Explorer

Comment

fender strat...ooops wrong post!
                      Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

Luke, my Grandfather's got a ES-330 as well, and it'll be mine whenever I have the time to go up there and talk him in to it.

Right now, my only Gibson is a 1952 ES-125. It's a big hollow body, with a single P-90 in the middle/neck postition, a trapize tailpiece, and a rosewood bridge. I refretted it with the infamous Gibson jumbo frets instead of the little bitty frets. Smaller than what's on Fender RI's.
                        This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

I owned a Howard Roberts Fusion for about 10 years.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I use a Faded series Gibbo V - Seth/C5 combo with blender pot working on the C5
                            Guitars:
                            Ernie Ball/Music Man Sillhouette Special (custom wound Blue Velvets, JB bridge), Ibanez RG3120 (PAFPro neck, Tone Zone), Gibson V (Seth in Neck, C5 in bridge), Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster (Stock)
                            Amps:
                            Mesa Boogie Mark III Simulcass Head, Marshall JMP-1, Mesa Boogie 50/50, Trace Elliot Tramp

Comment

This is not mine, this is an Epiphone...but you get the idea!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X