No announcement yet.

Is your Gibson NOT a Paul or an SG???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is your Gibson NOT a Paul or an SG???

I don't have them anymore, but I've owned 2 Explorers: one Pewter...circa 1992-ish, and one of the 58 reissues which I got at a vintage guitar store in Washington D.C. as my high school graduation present (and my first really nice guitar). It was made in the mid-70s and price was about $500 in near new shape (bought in 1987).

The Pewter one had the biggest fattest slowest louisville slugger neck I've ever had the displeasure of owning (ordered the guitar without having played one of the newer models). And sounded horrible with the Gibson Dirty Fingers pickups (I see they have reissued THEM again..what is wrong with people? ). Slapped a Custom in the bridge and a 59 in the neck, and it turned into one of the best sounding guitars I've ever owned.

I also had a 70's V. I just never could get used to the feel of the guitar, and sold it after a few weeks. Sounded really nice though.

I would buy another Explorer again in a heartbeat, assuming they have improved the necks
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I have a '65 Firebird III and a 75 LP Dlx.

Comment

Nice!!!
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented
          Nice!!!
          +1

(I have avatars and sigs turned off. Do you?)

Comment

ES335TD

Comment

I used to play a Gibson "The Paul" exclusively. A really nice guitar until the headstock snap of really badly on night (or early morning)
              2001 MIA Strat Sunburst w/maple neck. Hot Rails (b), Vintage Rails (m), Cool Rails (n). 2003 MIA Deluxe Fat Strat Sunburst w/maple neck.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB
                I don't have them anymore, but I've owned 2 Explorers: one Pewter...circa 1992-ish, and one of the 58 reissues which I got at a vintage guitar store in Washington D.C. as my high school graduation present (and my first really nice guitar). It was made in the mid-70s and price was about $500 in near new shape (bought in 1987).

The Pewter one had the biggest fattest slowest louisville slugger neck I've ever had the displeasure of owning (ordered the guitar without having played one of the newer models). And sounded horrible with the Gibson Dirty Fingers pickups (I see they have reissued THEM again..what is wrong with people? ). Slapped a Custom in the bridge and a 59 in the neck, and it turned into one of the best sounding guitars I've ever owned.

I also had a 70's V. I just never could get used to the feel of the guitar, and sold it after a few weeks. Sounded really nice though.

I would buy another Explorer again in a heartbeat, assuming they have improved the necks
                The neck on mine is awsome! Very fast actually. good for shredding

Comment

Blueshawk w/ Maestro vibrato bar ... it's sweet.
                  <----- another experiment in rewiring turns tragic.

Comment

My BluesHawk. I just set the neck up for 11s and now she plays like a dream. This is probably one of the most versitile guitars I've played. The Varitone gives the ability to go form acoustic tones to damn near a Les Paul.
                    Webshots, the best in Desktop Wallpaper, Desktop Backgrounds, and Screen Savers since 1995.

Comment

Here's some of the non-Les Paul or SG Gibsons that I have gone through.

Comment

My SG and a Blueshawk.

Comment

The only Gibson I own is a 98 LP Standard. I do like V's and Explorers but as I'm short n 'tubby', they never really seem to 'work' for me

Comment

I have two Gibsons and they're both Les Pauls.

Used to have an SG and another Les Paul.

An SG, a 335, a Firebird, an Explorer and a big old jazzer are on my Christmas List.

And my 12-year-old son wants a purple Flying V. That's my boy!!

Comment

1920 L-4
                              flying V
                              U2
                              RD

aside from the sg's and lp's that is.
                              "I don't care if you boo .. just boo in key!" JH

Pups ~> duncan ~ WCR ~ VOODOO by Peter Florance!

Guitars ~> Gibson ~ G&L ~ Guild ~ Fender ~ ESP ~ Heritage

Comment

I've got a Firebird from 1990...
                                || The Livin' Kitchen: www.livinkitchen.tk
                                || The Hellacopters: www.hellacopters.tk

Comment

Working...
                                X