Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mesa Rectoverb comments?

Fret,

You could also look into a set of Mesa/Boogie Black Shadow 90 Celestions. Supposedly they are very similar to the Vintage 30's but slightly brighter sounding.
    Gibson Les Paul R8 in Ebony
    Roland Cube 60
    Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier Head & Mesa Boogie 2x12 Horizontal Rectifier Cabinet
    BadCat Unleash V1 Attenuater/Re-amplifier
    LoopMaster Clean Dirty A/B Looper Switcher
    Mogami Cables
    Mooer Candy Toppers
    Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.
    Extras: AmpWedge & Auralex Great Gramma ISO Platform

Comment

Do both the 1st and 2nd series have self biasing, or just the 2nd series?
      Gibson Les Paul Studio [DD(b), PG(n)]

VHT Deliverance 60
      Splawn 4x12

Xssive built Monroe Drive
      Vox Time Machine Delay
      Boss Noise Supressor

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarGuy503
        Fret,

You could also look into a set of Mesa/Boogie Black Shadow 90 Celestions. Supposedly they are very similar to the Vintage 30's but slightly brighter sounding.
        The Mesa C90's are closer to the Classic Lead in sound. A little more top and bottom, and slightly scooped sounding.

Aren't the G12H30's Marshall Celestion Speakers? It sounds familar to me.....
        G12H30 and G12H are the same thing. They're a great sounding speaker as well.

Marshall uses G12T-75s, Vintage 30's (they call them Marshall/Celestion Vintage 70w speakers), and Greenbacks.

Personally, I have a V30 loaded 4x12 and it kicks ass.
        || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Thanks guys, I ordered a 2x12 cab from Avatar last night with one V30 and one G12H, it's their "G212H special". Should be pretty sweet.

Oh and only the series 2 Rectoverbs have the bias switch.
          After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Comment

if only the series 2 have the bias switch, do i have to bring my series 1 head to a tech to put new tubes in, or can i pop them in myself?

VHT Deliverance 60
            Splawn 4x12

Vox Time Machine Delay
            Boss Noise Supressor

Comment

Assuming you're putting 6L6s back in, I don't think you have to take it in the get biased. The Mesa site talks about the bias being "hard wired" basically. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Comment

I thought the series 1 versions has switchable power tube options as well? It came out ofter the duals and triples and the duals and triples both have that option so it would surprise me if the series 1 rectoverb/single recs didn't.

Now if they could add their "built-in variac" option and one rectifier tube that'd be PERFECT.

Comment

If Custom Boogies weren't so spendy I'd get me a Rect-O-Verb halfstack in Burgandy with black corners.....
                  oooh that would look GREAT.

BTW I worked for Guitar Center at the time when i bought this head... you do the math.

Comment

Originally posted by FretFire
                    Thanks guys, I ordered a 2x12 cab from Avatar last night with one V30 and one G12H, it's their "G212H special". Should be pretty sweet.
                    It should be... I have a marshall 1960AX that I'm selling with greenbacks and WOOO british tone but sometimes I'd like more mids and more bass. So I'm trying to sell the cab and buy one 2x12 with greenies and one 2x12 with G12H30s. I never was a fan of V30s though...

Comment

Originally posted by B2D
                      I thought the series 1 versions has switchable power tube options as well? It came out ofter the duals and triples and the duals and triples both have that option so it would surprise me if the series 1 rectoverb/single recs didn't.

Now if they could add their "built-in variac" option and one rectifier tube that'd be PERFECT.
                      The series 1 Rectoverbs do NOT have a bias switch. 6L6 or nothin' . From what I keep hearing, the series 2 Rectoverbs are a bit different than the series 1, in that they're geared to sound more like the duals and triples instead of maintaining they're own character. One reason I wanted a series 1.

Comment

Originally posted by B2D
                        It should be... I have a marshall 1960AX that I'm selling with greenbacks and WOOO british tone but sometimes I'd like more mids and more bass. So I'm trying to sell the cab and buy one 2x12 with greenies and one 2x12 with G12H30s. I never was a fan of V30s though...
                        Supposedly the pairing of the V30 and the G12H30 gives you a nice mix of highs and upper mids from the V30, and a smoother bass and low mid response from the G12. You get a 14-day trial period from Avatar, so if it's too bright for me I can always send it back and try a different speaker option.

Comment

Supposedly the pairing of the V30 and the G12H30 gives you a nice mix of highs and upper mids from the V30, and a smoother bass and low mid response from the G12. You get a 14-day trial period from Avatar, so if it's too bright for me I can always send it back and try a different speaker option.
                          That combo always gets rave reviews... let us know how you like it upon arrival.

The series 1 Rectoverbs do NOT have a bias switch. 6L6 or nothin' . From what I keep hearing, the series 2 Rectoverbs are a bit different than the series 1, in that they're geared to sound more like the duals and triples instead of maintaining they're own character. One reason I wanted a series 1.
                          Huh... well ya learn something new every day!

I find that the Singles do not sound like the Duals or triples at all. Sure they've got that Cali-Boogie flavor but the cleans and dirties and gain voicings are way different. Thats why I went with the Rectoverb in the 1st place! LOL

If I ever find a series 1 I'll give it a go and see what i think.

Comment

I have a series 1 and love what i've heard from it, unfortunately i bought it off of ebay and the tubes went pretty quick and ive just got around to putting new ones in. They're definately worth checkin out, especialy the vintage gain channel.

VHT Deliverance 60
                            Splawn 4x12

Vox Time Machine Delay
                            Boss Noise Supressor

Comment

Yeah, mine should be here tomorrow . I didn't get it off ebay though, and I talked to the guy several times on the phone about the amp. He put in new Mesa power tubes about a year ago, and hasn't played the amp much since then since his band had pretty much called it quits. He's sending those new tubes and a spare pair of 6L6s, but if those are kaput or something I'll snag a pair of JJs.

Comment

Working...
                              X