Guitar Building. Need Some Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar Building. Need Some Info

So... I was planning to build an 8 string guitar, but I need some info on woods and other stuff:
    Is there such a big difference between african and honduran mahogany?
    What's a drop top? Can I make one using spalted maple?
    I heard that Spalted Maple is a very complicated wood to work on, What kind of treatment does it need before using it?
    What's a reinforced headstock? Could you give me some examples? How do I build one?

Thanks for your help!
    Gear: Epiphone Les Paul Special, Peavey Envoy 110, BOSS MD2, EHX Big Muff Tone Wicker, Boss NS2, EHX Neo Clone, MXR CSP 001 Variphase, Dunlop JC 95 Wah, Seymour Duncan Double Back Compressor

Re: Guitar Building. Need Some Info

Mahogany any kind is all over the place anyway.

I could imagine that a thick spalted top is a sound killed. Looks wise it just needs more filling and if you have soft spots in there you need to decide whether you want to harden them up or leave them under the paint (with risk of later indentations).

Reinforced headstock == Volute?

Comment

African mahogany isn't a true mahogany. Honduran is. Spalted maple is tough on the lungs so wear a respirator when working with it. With the types of questions you're asking here, it sounds as though you're just starting out as a woodworker/luthier. You're going to need a lot more information then we can provide here on the forum. There are several good books you can buy that will give you good guidance in your endeavor.

Here are a couple:

However, the most important consideration you have is not wood choice or construction method, but proper (safe) utilization of woodworking machinery. You'd be surprised how fast a spinning blade or bit can remove your fingers or hand. I've known several people that have had that happen. Fortunately, I have not. Please make sure you understand the inherent dangers of woodworking machinery. Climb cutting with a router (or router table) will give you a much smoother edge, but it will thoroughly ruin your day when it pulls the wood from your hands and your hands into the spinning bit. Be careful!

The Warmoth site has some great information on wood choices and tonal characteristics.

And, lastly, if you're looking for Honduran mahogany, I have a few billets kicking around that you're welcome to if you pay the shipping -- assuming you're in the continental US, of course.
      I started out with nothing...and I still have most of it left.

Comment

Originally posted by pzaxtl View Post
        African mahogany isn't a true mahogany. Honduran is. Spalted maple is tough on the lungs so wear a respirator when working with it. With the types of questions you're asking here, it sounds as though you're just starting out as a woodworker/luthier. You're going to need a lot more information then we can provide here on the forum. There are several good books you can buy that will give you good guidance in your endeavor.

Here are a couple:

However, the most important consideration you have is not wood choice or construction method, but proper (safe) utilization of woodworking machinery. You'd be surprised how fast a spinning blade or bit can remove your fingers or hand. I've known several people that have had that happen. Fortunately, I have not. Please make sure you understand the inherent dangers of woodworking machinery. Climb cutting with a router (or router table) will give you a much smoother edge, but it will thoroughly ruin your day when it pulls the wood from your hands and your hands into the spinning bit. Be careful!

The Warmoth site has some great information on wood choices and tonal characteristics.

And, lastly, if you're looking for Honduran mahogany, I have a few billets kicking around that you're welcome to if you pay the shipping -- assuming you're in the continental US, of course.

Thanks a bunch! I will take a look at them. I'm using warmoth as guide right now, they sell african mahogany blanks but the honduran one isn't available, that's why I'm asking if they have similar tonal qualities...
        Gear: Epiphone Les Paul Special, Peavey Envoy 110, BOSS MD2, EHX Big Muff Tone Wicker, Boss NS2, EHX Neo Clone, MXR CSP 001 Variphase, Dunlop JC 95 Wah, Seymour Duncan Double Back Compressor

Comment

A "drop-top" is when you cut the angled forearm slope like on most Strats.

Depending on your playing style, you may not need to carve the slope. Tele players have lived without it for decades. If you're slinging the guitar low for chugga-chugga, or hunched over playing Rap Core or Gnu-Metal, I don't see the lack of a slope being an issue. If you wear it up high like '80s Shredheads, the slope might be more comfy for you.
          Originally posted by Brown Note
          I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
          My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
            A "drop-top" is when you cut the angled forearm slope like on most Strats.

Depending on your playing style, you may not need to carve the slope. Tele players have lived without it for decades. If you're slinging the guitar low for chugga-chugga, or hunched over playing Rap Core or Gnu-Metal, I don't see the lack of a slope being an issue. If you wear it up high like '80s Shredheads, the slope might be more comfy for you.
            Thanks! I guess I'll make it totally flat then. BTW, I'm trying to find a dealer that sells neck through blanks, something like 40,5 - 42,5 inches in length, but I'm having a hard time here: Warmoth, Stewart MacDonald and Carvin didn't have any available, there's also Soulmate, but I don't know if they have everything I need. Does anybody know a wood supplier that have a variety of woods for that kind of construction? I was looking for mahogany(african mahogany is ok), hard maple and claro or black walnut.

Comment

I know LMII sells laminate woods pieces at that length but I don't know any solid neck blanks that long.

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
                A "drop-top" is when you cut the angled forearm slope like on most Strats..
                im sure "drop top" is another name for laminate top?
                our first drummer died in a bizzare gardening accident!

I won't dance in a club like this,
                'Cause all the girls are sluts,
                And the beer tastes just like piss.

Comment

I believe that "drop top" refers to a uniform thickness top that is laminated to the body wood after contours and reliefs have been cut. That same top when laminated to a Tele style body would not be a drop top or bent top because the edges are square ... that is, the top and bottom surfaces of the guitar body are flat.
                  Last edited by Lazarus1140; 02-28-2011, 05:43 AM.
                  I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Originally posted by Abeldc View Post
                    I know LMII sells laminate woods pieces at that length but I don't know any solid neck blanks that long.
                    Thanks! That helped me a lot. I was planning to build a 7 piece neck, so laminate wood pieces will be really usefull to me, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewbacca View Post
                      Is there such a big difference between african and honduran mahogany?
                      No.

I heard that Spalted Maple is a very complicated wood to work on, What kind of treatment does it need before using it?
                      It's not a matter of treatment, it's a matter of grain awareness, cleavage awareness, and working thoughtfully and carefully with it.

What's a reinforced headstock? Could you give me some examples? How do I build one?
                      If you don't know what it is, you don't need one!

I'm trying to find a dealer that sells neck through blanks, something like 40,5 - 42,5 inches in length
                      USACG will make you whatever size you want.
                      my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Originally posted by ImmortalSix View Post
                        It's a matter of cleavage awareness, and working thoughtfully and carefully with it.

idsnowdog can help with this.
                        I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Where are you located?
                          There are woodworker stores, Woodcraft and Klingspoors, near me that sell planks of mahogany, maple and other woods that are easily within that length. It won't be a super good bargain, but they'll have what you need, typically.

And if you're doing spalted maple, I'd definitely leave it flat to avoid all sorts of complications.
                          Check out something like Polycryl to stabilize that spalted maple.

Are you doing a thru-neck, set-neck or bolt-neck?
                          IMO, any sonic differences between the various mahoganies as body woods will be minimal and less so if it's a thru-neck.

If you're doing the laminated neck, bear in mind that companies like PRS do this thing where they split a mahogany neck blank, flip one end around so the grain is reverse to the other and glue them up that way to increase stability.

And yea, I also think that "reinforced" headstock things is just a neck volute.

MM
                          MM

2000 ES335LE Teal Blue, 2009 Gibson LP Trad Pro HCS, 2007 Edwards LP-130LTS/RE Lemon Drop, 2010 Gibson '50's Tribute Studio Goldtop.
                          Carvin V3, Bogner Alchemist, Egnater Rebel 30, Peavey Classic 30, Dave Hunter Two-Stroke, Digitech GNX3, Carvin T100

Comment

Spalted is difficult to work with basically because it's diseased. The spalting is some sort of fungus or mold and it makes the wood brittle. It's also why it was suggested to wear a mask when you work with it; don't want those spores to take over!!

Comment

spalted maple can soak up a lot of the finish too so buy twice as much paint as you think you'd need!
                              our first drummer died in a bizzare gardening accident!

I won't dance in a club like this,
                              'Cause all the girls are sluts,
                              And the beer tastes just like piss.

Comment

Working...
                              X