Best Way To Wire HSS Strat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Way To Wire HSS Strat

What is the best way to wire a HSS strat that has two tones and one volume? The preference would be to have 500k going to the Humbucker in the bridge positions and 250k going to the Neck and Middle single coils.

Or at least a way to give added treble to the bridge humbucker so I can keep the 250K volume pot.
    "You see, we are here, as far as I can tell, to help each other; our brothers, our sisters, our friends, our enemies. That is to help each other and not hurt each other."
    - Stevie Ray Vaughan

Re: Best Way To Wire HSS Strat

I have an SSS strat with a 'Lil59 in the bridge. I used 250K for both the bridge and neck tone pots and left the middle single coil totally without tone control. Also, I wired it so that the humbucker is automatically split in the Mid/Bridge slot position. This can all be done with a standard 5-way switch.
    I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

250k tone and volume pots for the two singles, then one 500k volume hooked up to the humbucker, no tone pot. That's what I'd do, but if you use a tone on the bridge very often then that might not be for you.

Comment

Each pickup to it's own volume pot. 500k or the bridge and two 250's for the singles. Seriously. No switch, no bs. Just dial it in as you go.

Comment

master volume
          master tone
          use other hole for "bridge always on" toggle or "coil split" toggle
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Lazarus' setup is one of the most common methods. One thing about the 'Lil 59 and the other 'Lil and Jr. models, they were made to work with 250k pots since the whole point is to put them in a Strat anyway.

With a full-size humbucker in the bridge, I like 500k for the volume and 250k tones or a 500k volume and single 250k tone. But, I normally go with just a volume control and it's always 500k, even with singles. I just make sure to use single-coils that work well in that setup. The Classic Stack Plus pickups work really well in that setup.

Comment

On my HSS, Lone Star Strat I am planning to for universal tone control and volume knob for a bucker and volume knob for to single coils, the Mathias Jabs strat set up.
              Active Duty Rig:
              MIA Lone Star Strat (HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special neck)
              Warmoth Roads V/Kramer Neck (HS - Custom/Tex-Special neck)

BadHoarsie Original ->

Laney AOR 50 ProTube ( 6 knobber ) / Laney GH50L | efxloop Rocktron Hush Super C/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | Weber lite Mass Attenuator ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

Thank you for your responses

Would running a 500K volume pot with a 250K tone pot for the Neck and Middle pickups and a 500K pot for the bridge successfully give me 250K to the Neck and Middle pickups and 500K to the bridge. Even if not could I not bleed tebles off the 500k volume pot with the 250K tone pot making it close to 250K going to the Neck and Middle pickups?
                "You see, we are here, as far as I can tell, to help each other; our brothers, our sisters, our friends, our enemies. That is to help each other and not hurt each other."
                - Stevie Ray Vaughan

Comment

im gonna rewire mine with 500k pots but with 500k resistors making the single coils see 250k pots.
                  our first drummer died in a bizzare gardening accident!

I won't dance in a club like this,
                  'Cause all the girls are sluts,
                  And the beer tastes just like piss.

Comment

Would depend on the pickups, but in general I'd think about going with a 500K master volume and 250K master tone. And add a bridge always on switch in the third spot, so you can have bridge + neck.

Comment

Working...
                    X