Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Floyds, Dive Bombing, and Tuning...

Originally posted by Koreth View Post
    Whenever I install new strings on my floyd-equipped guitars, I make sure to stretch them thoroughly. In fact, I keep extra high E and B strings on hand because little bits of steel only 9 or 12 thousandths of an inch thick don't always hold up to vigorous stretching. My method is follows: tune to pitch, grab the string and pull up hard, but not so hard that it will (only might ) break, stretching all along the length of the string. Check tuning again, usually the string has gone down as much a a note and a half. Tune again, stretch again until the string goes down only 10-15 cents in pitch after stretching. Then I tune to pitch and move on to the next string. After all strings have been stretched and the guitar has been tuned, I'll leave the nut unlocked overnight to give the strings a chance to do any more settling or stretching that they're gonna do. Then I lock the nut and do the fine tuning. Then for the remainder of the life of the strings, my tuning is very stable. Drifting maybe a few cents sharp or flat as the guitar gets cold or warm.

Now, the cheap Edge III doesn't always perfectly return to pitch after a pull up or a dive, and ends up slightly sharp or flat. I give the arm a slight tug or the bride a gentle whack and that usually sets it back to zero. Not ideal, but in a pinch, it works.

One thing to check is that everything is tight and nothing is moving when you're pulling up or diving. Are the trem posts secure in the body or do they wiggle a bit? Is the neck pocket tight? Sometimes you can hear a creak from the neck pocket as it shifts when you do a strong pull-up or dive bomb. Grooves in the locking nut pads have already been mentioned.
    All good points, but stretching strings to the point of possible breakage is uber-overkill. Plus, it can damage/deaden wound strings even if they don't break.

I've never broken a string while stretching in several hundred string changes in my lifetime. To stretch, I lightly pull the strings up from the fretboard an inch or so at a few points along the length of the string. Then I simply do bends on each string until the tuning settles. Then I play for about 15 minutes or so, check it again, and it's usually all good to go and ready to be locked down.

Comment

To be fair, I did get tired of breaking strings, and having to buy more. After breaking a few wound strings I learned to stop yanking so heavily. I thought the smiley indicated that I wasn't serious about stretching them *that* hard.
      Originally posted by ratherdashing
      If you don't see the value of a good 1 watt tube amp, it probably means one or more of the following:

- You live out in the country
      - You hate your neighbours
      - You mistakenly believe that your big amp with the master volume at 0.5 sounds good
      - You love solid state amps
      - You don't actually play guitar
      - You kick puppies

Comment

Using lockers, affords the advantage of having a bit of tension on the string at the start, since you can pull the string tight through the peg before locking it. Then you only need a little turning to get it in pitch and there is far less "twist tension" in the string from wrapping strings around posts several times. This gives you a more "true" tension towards getting it into a stable state. I get it up to pitch once, then I run my finger up and down the string with a little bit of stretch. Start whammying wildly, tune again and repeat. It's usually perfect at that point. Then I lock the strings down. As yet, doing this, I've yet to have any issues with the strings going "sharp" after putting the nut lock on. Having staggered posts on my tuners also allows me to keep the retainer bar a tad higher so I can actually get to the truss rod. I HIGHLY recommend a set of Sperzels with a Floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by IanBallard View Post
          Anything bridge with pot metal will sound dull compared to a quality steel.... that includes Gibson TOM's too. The FR "Special" is pretty decent but uses zincrap saddles. I'll pass.
          I've noticed the saddles on my my Gibby's TOM has little chunks missing, that's been torn off in the past few years. And also some deep scratches all over it. Not finish type scratches like on a wrist watch, but really deep ones. Would this be cuz of the metal used?
          --------------------------------------------------------
          1973 Aria 551
          1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
          1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
          1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
          1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
          1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
          2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Originally posted by ConvoysToNothingness View Post
            blargh. it did it again. first the high e went way flat...couple more dives and pull ups, and the whole thing went out.

what the hell?!
            Start with new strings....
            EVH's Frankenstein was a factory second junker put together by a drunk teenager and it's one of the most sought after guitar tones ever...Ian Ballard

playing an electric guitar unplugged to determine how it will sound is like sitting in a car, with the engine off, to determine how fast it is.

Ron Kirn

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
              I always fear using something like that cuz it may gum up. But if its good enough for satch..

If you are using stock strings, that may be the reason.. I find most stock strings to be noodles unless they are a brand..
              New strings =

Also, instead of chapstick (which, IIRC, is mostly wax), I use a mixture of powdered graphite and petroleum jelly. Works quite well.
              Originally posted by Jessie's ghost
              I like having the stop bar all the way down. Sue me. I've got like six dollars.

Comment

Working...
              X