Whammy question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whammy question

How stable is a strat's whammy bar, if you replace the nut with something like a graphtech tusq nut?
    Originally posted by jmh151
    I'd hit that so hard that whoever could pull me out would be the King of England
    Originally posted by jeremy
    like if we were walking down the sidewalk and you said "hey check her out" chances are i already saw her and mentally sodomized her
    Originally posted by grumptruck
    Media only reports on what the sheeple wanna see/hear/read.
    Sometimes not read.
    dats hard

Re: Whammy question

It will be considerably more stable, since the primary problem is nut binding. However, I also recommend locking tuners because regular tuners can "unwind" slightly when you dive and can slip a bit. Usually if the thing goes sharp, it's the nut and if it goes flat, it's the tuners. You also want to make sure the trem itself is properly positioned so it returns to "0" the same everytime. I recommend, whether you use a 2-point or 6-point, to put a little white lithium grease or chapstick where the trem plate meets the posts/screws so it has a smooth movement every time. Also, make sure you adequately stretch the strings before using it since a lot of initial instability is from fresh strings not stretched enough. TusqXL almost totally eliminates the binding issue, so you will definitely find your Strat more enjoyable and the tone is very close to bone.

Comment

The biggest offender has always been the string guide!
      Use good strings, get a bonenut and have it well setup and it will be pretty stable.
      The usual stuff is that the low E will go sharp, same with the G, B and E will also work alittle...
      Nothing you cannot work around.

Comment

Another reason to try lockers like Sperzels that have posts that are staggered, so that you don't need a string guide. They also come in handy for Floyd users, so the retainer bar can be higher so the truss rod is easier to access, in addition to the faster string change and stability.

Comment

Glad I read this thread. Now I have some things to help me out with my strat and its tuning issues.

Comment

I suggest a roller type for those who use string tees. They help immensely.
            I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

and also this.

I'm getting one for my floyd anyway
              --------------------------------------------------------
              1973 Aria 551
              1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
              1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
              1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
              1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
              1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
              2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

I have built a few Strats & in both of mine I used a Graphite nut, graphite saddles & locking tuners. No string trees. These basic changes will make the guitar much more stable, but if your intentions are to go crazy with dive bombs and stuff like that, I would look for something with a locking nut. not my cup of Tea but they do work really well.
                "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I finally gave up trying to get a standard tremolo to stay "perfectly" in tune, so I put a Floyd on. But you CAN tweak them and make them work, but if you're going to do some Vai/Van Halen/Jeff Beck kind of stuff, you'll have to keep in mind that you'll be fighting it constantly.

Advice from EVH (interview): "I destroyed a lot of guitars trying to get them to do what I wanted, but I learned something from every guitar I tore apart and discovered even more things. Things like if the string is not straight from the bridge saddle to the nut, you’re going to have friction. On most guitars the headstock is angled back which compounds the problem. If you take the vibrato bar down the strings loosen from the bridge to the nut to the tuning peg. When you return the bar, the tuning does not return to the same point. So I got a brass nut, made the slots really big and put 3-in-1 oil in the cuts where the string travels through the nut. Then I wound the strings up the tuning peg instead of down so the line from the bridge saddle to the nut to the tuning peg was straight as an arrow. Also, from the back of the guitar where you put the string through the block on a Fender tremolo tailpiece, every time I turned the tuning peg I would grab the ball end and turn it with every turn of the tuning peg, alleviating twist tension within the string itself. It worked really well. These are some of the discoveries I made that allowed me to use a standard vibrato and do the crazy things I do and keep the guitar in tune."
                  Last edited by IanBallard; 04-02-2011, 08:30 PM.

Comment

ya i have lots of guitars, vintage style strats, new style 2-posts strats... locking tuners, vintage tuners, bone nuts, graphite, Floating, blocked to go down only,

none stay in tune like a floyd would.... my Godin and my Warmoth come close... the Godin has a 2post trem with a piezo sytem by LR BRAGGS, locking tuners... The Warmoth has a Fender American Standard trem from the mid 90's and Sperzel's... both have bone nuts and a good set up that i had a really good tech do... the Godin is Floating, the Warmoth is set to rest on the body...

with those 2 guitars i can dive once or twice like EVH style and still finnish a tune pretty much in tune... anymore and things get too far out of wack... i find most times strings stick slightly sharp in the nut on the way back to pitch so i quick little bend/pull on any of the strings sticking sharp releases them.... sometimes i find the floating trem works better to return to pitch as the springs are pulling on it to return to it's set point, unlike a flush set up where once it hits the body it's done moving...

oddly i have found with my Warmoth, E Flat tuning with it's less string tention on the nut works better on the same guitar when in concert pitch...

some of my other guitars like my Custom Shop 66 strat work OK but are not great at dive bombs... more or less a little wiggle on the bar is all they are good for....

i have 5-6 guitars with Floyds... a few Jacksons with Schaller up grades, a Charvel with a FRO, a Wolfgang with an added FRO, and a few Parts mutts with a Schaller and an old Edge... anytime i need serious trem abuse sounds these are the axes to call on...
                    Last edited by WhoFan; 04-03-2011, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X