Epiphone SG Prophecy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epiphone SG Prophecy

I have an Epi SG Prophecy but unlike the ones being shown, mine has 4 knobs, 2 for volume and 2 for tone. The jack is also in front. How come the SG prophecy I see being advertised has 2 knobs only...any Epiphone prophecy enthusiast can explain why?

Re: Epiphone SG Prophecy

Interesting. Sounds like you got a rare one, maybe a prototype. Could be a special model for one of the big chains. Is everything else the same? Epi will make some variations on stock models once in a while. I've seen a couple G-400's with dot inlays. Most of the natural finish Dot 335's have maple necks, but some have (dark) mahogany necks (like Elitist 335's do). I'm sure there's a lot more odd Epi's, and Gibsons floating around in small quantities.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

I've also seen plenty of those Prophecies faked. A few have had 4 knobs. Where did you buy it from?
      Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
      Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

OP please post pictures of your guitar here. I was at Sam Ash music last year around this time and I was in there as a friend wanted to buy a few accessories. While I waited I was intrigued to try this (to me) new Epiphone Prophecy. I heard about them but never saw or played one before. I asked the guy to try it and I wasn't expecting anything good to be honest, but I was floored at how nicely it was finished and how it played/felt and more importantly how it sounded. It was the SG but was a black cherry finish and it had 22 frets instead of 24 and it had either block or trap inlays and the hardware was gold, and the pickups had gold covers on them. It was being sold as used and had a $379 price tag on it. It was an ebony fretboard and the frets were nicely finished. Having never priced one before I thought it was typical Sam Ash high prices for used gear especially for an Epiphone. Then when I checked the prices online I saw the prices for these are $600-$700. Another thing I noticed is the Prophecy (or whatever it was (I don't remember if it actually said Prophecy on it or the truss rod cover) I saw online was different as noted above. By the time I thought of calling Sam Ash to identify what guitar it was it had sold and they were no help at telling me what model it was. I've been trying to figure out this mystery for a year now even posting on the Epiphone board with the head of Epiphone stumped even.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Lamprecht View Post
          I've also seen plenty of those Prophecies faked. A few have had 4 knobs. Where did you buy it from?
          faked how? Is there a bunch of fake chinese Prophecies out there?

Comment

Blue man, Fusion and Andrew...would you like me to post a pic for you guys to see?
            I mean the tone on this guitar is fantastic. Incredible sustain and the neck is really smooth. It does not have the strap locks. I think it was modified at one point.

I admire good workmanship and functionality wherever it may come from whether fake or not, Andrew. I'm not looking to check on it,,,in fact I'm keeping it because of the tone it can produce.

Comment

Originally posted by Fusion1 View Post
              faked how? Is there a bunch of fake chinese Prophecies out there?
              I've seen some. People like to fake higher end Epiphones.
              Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
              Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

Pics!

Comment

Isn't faking epiphones like printing counterfeit roubles?

Comment

or counterfeit pesos

Comment

Pics crossbow plz

Comment

pics? :|
                        88-89 Fender HM Strat(Dimarzio pickups)
                        Fender Blacktop Jaguar(JB/Jazz)
                        Guitar>TU-2>Ernie Ball Volume Pedal>Joyo Octave Fuzz>SD-1>Small Stone Phaser>Amp(Effects loop>DD-7>DD-20>Holy Grail)
                        Vox NightTrain 50.
                        My Band

Comment

Here ya go-

Cons:
                          1. All four knobs and jack plug are in front
                          2. No "Prophecy" mark on the cover of truss rod
                          3. no straplocks
                          4. EMG markings on the active pups?

PRos
                          1. Neck thru...meaning the neck and headstock are actually like a prophecy and attached to body
                          (I have a prophecy EM2-FX)
                          2. headstock seems the same
                          3. print of head stock is the same as an epiphone logo and design of prophecy
                          4. Body is the same
                          5. Quilt maple top.
                          6. Grover tuners

Conclusion: Just like blueman335, said - Its either "prototype or variation?"
                          Last edited by crossbow; 05-11-2011, 05:56 AM.

Comment

I really dig that finish. COuld be an earlier model???
                            Originally posted by grumptruck
                            No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
                            Originally posted by Gear Used
                            PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
                            Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
                            Mesa Stiletto Ace
                            Gurus 5015
                            Mesa Widebody 1X12
                            Pedalboard

Comment

Don't you know it from the real world?

Prophecies get adjusted as time goes by...

Comment

Working...
                              X