Epiphone SG Prophecy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Epiphone SG Prophecy

need to see the serial # up close, epiphones are copied like crazy and were pretty sloppy done. buy off ebay?
    tone slut
    Marshall DSL 40C
    Fender EVH Striped Series
    Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
    Fender Squier Tele Affinity
    Mogami cables

Comment

dam well can be a fake, never seen one like that, they even fake the grovers also
      tone slut
      Marshall DSL 40C
      Fender EVH Striped Series
      Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
      Fender Squier Tele Affinity
      Mogami cables

Comment

COOL.

Comment

Did they fake the EMGs too? When did fakes look as good as the originals? Heck who would be doing the faking as production for the real deals are as cheap as it can get being made in Korea or China to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by Fusion1 View Post
            Did they fake the EMGs too? When did fakes look as good as the originals? Heck who would be doing the faking as production for the real deals are as cheap as it can get being made in Korea or China to begin with.
            Exactly. Fake Gibsons, yes lots of them. Fake Epi's, I doubt it. How much time and effort is anyone going to put into faking a used guitar that sells for several hundred dollars? Come on boys.
            "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
            "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
            "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
              Exactly. Fake Gibsons, yes lots of them. Fake Epi's, I doubt it. How much time and effort is anyone going to put into faking a used guitar that sells for several hundred dollars? Come on boys.

No knock off Epiphones? Try this site: http://www.tbargain.com/. They even fake the Epiphone case . . .

Here are some more:
              - http://guitar.china-direct-buy.com/v...epiphone&qsm=0
              - http://www.tradetang.com/wholesale+e...e_c220505.html
              - http://www.chinawholesalestock.com/w...uitar-879.html

. . . and that's just from 10 seconds of Googling.
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                No knock off Epiphones? Try this site: http://www.tbargain.com/. They even fake the Epiphone case.
                I doubt these are fakes. They're probably factory seconds, floor demos, and model close outs sold through other outlets. For what they're selling them for, they're not making any money if they're going to the trouble of making exact copies, and using Epi packing and promo literature. They wouldn't go to all that trouble for such modest prices, nor would Gibson sit by and watch them do it.
                "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

I doubt these are fakes. They're probably factory seconds, floor demos, and model close outs sold through other outlets. For what they're selling them for, they're not making any money if they're going to the trouble of making exact copies, and using Epi packing and promo literature. They wouldn't go to all that trouble for such modest prices, nor would Gibson sit by and watch them do it.
                  you make a good point, blueman and it could be an introductory or earlier model as mwalluk said...which as uOpt put it, gets adjusted as time goes by.

Comment

Pretty cool you got yourself a prototype or whatever. Here is a new website I just found out about today from an email I got from Musiczoo or something, where they have a serial # list for Epiphones even. Check the site and post back what year yours was manufactured.

Epiphone serial # guide

Comment

Dude, do you work for these guys or something? Don't take my word for it. Check for yourself . . .

I picked a guitar at random from the site . . . this Goldtop . . . http://www.tbargain.com/products/Epi...ic-Guitar.html.

Serial number can be read as 10021508111.

Then I checked the serial number: http://www.guitardaterproject.org/epiphone.aspx.

It's a fake.

EDIT - actually if you check the link posted by Fusion, the serial number doesn't even match Epiphone's numbering scheme.
                      Last edited by GuitarStv; 05-11-2011, 01:22 PM.
                      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by crossbow View Post
                        you make a good point, blueman and it could be an introductory or earlier model as mwalluk said...which as uOpt put it, gets adjusted as time goes by.
                        It just seems that if someone's going to fake something, they'd do it with something they could get a better profit on. When money's counterfieted, they make $20 bills, not $1's.

Like many other manufacturers, Epi makes guitars for other markets and other countries. What we get in the USA is sometimes different than what they sell in other parts of the world. Maybe these weren't originally intended for the US market. Epi certainly could have different distribution agreements outside the USA. Most Epi's here are sold to the big music store chains, and because they agree to purchase and stock large quantities, I'm sure the chains have a hand in setting the retail prices, which no doubt include ample profit margins for the distributors. When Guitar Center sells something for $500, they certainly aren't paying anywhere near that themselves. Overseas, the same guitars coud sell for more, or less, depending on contractual agreements. Global production and marketing gets complicated.

Then again, maybe they are fakes, but they're not getting rich from what they're selling in this country. Seems like a lot of trouble to go to.

Comment

I don't know, but that is a sweeet looking SG! Nice!
                          Originally posted by Jessie Sammler
                          I don't have an ignore list. I'm not arrogant enough to think I can't learn something from people who annoy me.
                          Originally posted by JOLLY
                          This is the dumbest thread that's ever been on this forum. It makes this place look like a bunch of damn idiots. Just run this place into the ground why don't you. You're like a bunch of 12 year olds. This thread is sooooooo DLT'ish that it's pathetic.

Comment

It just seems that if someone's going to fake something, they'd do it with something they could get a better profit on. When money's counterfieted, they make $20 bills, not $1's.
                            And you just explained precisely why they fake Epiphones. Because people think like that and they are FAR less likely to question it's authenticity.

Just ask that dude who posted here recently about the fake Zakk Wylde Epi he nearly bought.

EDIT: Also, I have no idea about the SG in the OP. It's a pretty sweet guitar, though.
                            Last edited by Kam; 05-11-2011, 03:06 PM.
                            I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Fake Epis have been a problem for a while. Can as well swallow that fact.

Thing is, the copies are probably better

Comment

Some guy posted a fake Epi Buzzsaw on here a little while ago. For what ever reason, fake Epi's *do* exist.

I don't think this SG is one, though.

Comment

Working...
                                X