Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's High action?

in terms of say... 64ths?

I ask because I'm looking for a very clean sounding setup on my guitars. i googled high action and slide setup but found nothing in terms of measurements, any help would be great thanks.

Re: What's High action?

Totally depends on your guitar, neck radius, neck relief, bridge type, etc, etc.

I don't play shred and I don't play shred-oriented guitars. I've always been told that my action is generally either high or medium-high when other dudes play my guitars. I like my E strings to be about 2.5mm to 3mm above the 12th fret.

I think that's as high as I would go without running into intonation issues. I'm no expert on set-ups, though. It very well might be possible to compensate for that.

I haven't read it in a while, but there may have been some consensus reached in this other thread you started.
    Last edited by Kam; 06-02-2011, 09:32 PM.
    I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Betting big on the underdog?

Comment

Its gonna be subjective depending on how hard you play and your exact guitar.... Why not just keep raising it a quarter turn until you get the sound your after? Why do you need a precise measurement? Go by ear and feel.
        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Kam View Post
          I think that's as high as I would go without running into intonation issues. I'm no expert on set-ups, though. It very well might be possible to compensate for that.
          You can intonate for that, although the temperment across the fretboard may not be as precise as a nice medium low action.

When choosing the right action, you MUST adjust it to your right hand pick attack, so that you've got no string warble when you're playing the way you normally do. That's the key to finding the ideal string height.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

High action? Isn't that when someone smokes a spliff and gets a laid right afterwards?

J/K. It depends on each person. My high action is my little bro's normal, comfy set up.
            Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I tried the super-low action when I put my Floyd on. I didn't like it, so I removed the shim on the neck and used the thin brass shims (all of them) under the nut that came with the unit and it's now like a standard Strat. I wouldn't say "high" but it's medium for sure.

Comment

I set my action between .060" and .070" measured at the 12th fret. I consider than medium action myself.
                -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

I go for 5mm above the 12 fret on all strings, on all my guitars. I consider that medium action. Allows for a tiny bit of slide, with a clean sound.

However it makes a BIG difference between fretted/unfretted notes and makes finding the right balance in pickup heights a lot tougher.

Comment

5mm seems pretty high. i play alot of slide and i dont think any of my guitars are that high. intonation has got to be way off at that point

Comment

I don't have my guitars near me atm but I'm guessing my action is < 2 mm @ the 12th fret. I consider it low-to-medium, which is what I prefer. Any lower and I have to start putting too much relief in the neck to avoid excessive buzz.
                      -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

i think 4/64 is pretty low, 8/64 is kinda high and 12/64 is very high

Comment

Mine is higher than a shredstick and lower than a squared necked dobro.

I can play slide on mine and most folks think it is on the high side.
                          Originally posted by tone4days
                          we're not musicians, we're beer salesmen

Comment

What's your reason behind wanting a high action? I have high actions on mine, to facilitate deep Peter Green-style bends. If it wasn't for that, I'd have the actions about half that height. I don't measure them (and it varies per guitar anyways), but I raise the strings until my finger tips don't slip when doing those wild bends. Then it feels good to me. But there are certainly guys who couldn't play on actions that high.
                            "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                            "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                            "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post
                              High action? Isn't that when someone smokes a spliff and gets a laid right afterwards?

J/K. It depends on each person. My high action is my little bro's normal, comfy set up.
                              I was going to say one of Charlie Sheen's girlfriends. We are sooooo brutha's from anutha mutha.
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                              X