How high is your action?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How high is your action?

and what is "high" action anyway? I use like 2mm bass side and 1.5 treble, which is about 3/32 and 4/64.

some people say thats too much, but ive seen guys here post larger numbers!

Re: How high is your action?

I have factory standard setup, 1.5mm on both sides on my Jacksons. It is very comfortable for me and as far as I know this is considered as low action.
    "We live thinking we will never die. We die thinking we had never lived. Cut it out." - Jason Becker

"The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change" - Heraclitus

sigpicHouse of Jackson, Charvel, ESP, BC Rich, Dean etc.. Fans. Come and Join us!

Comment

1.5 is the standard for Jackson? jesus. then again i am playing a Tele, so I guess that kind of action is out of the question.

Comment

I have 2 mm on the nocaster and 1.5 mm on my Godin. that is more down to how the guitar will take the set up. I like the action a bit lower as that way I can get some nice percussive slaps and hits plus being a finger picker you can get away with a slightly low action (Fender recommend 2.5 mm for a strat or tele with 'vintage frets' and 2 mm for one with wide frets, I'm basically half a mil down on that) My duo sonic is at 3 mm but I do use this for slide. 3 mm is about standard for an acoustic.
        Some people will go to higher action because of heavy strings, if you put on heavy strings and play hard you will need to raise the action, if you tune down as well then you need to raise it even more. Case in point SRV 13's tuned down half a step and had a 5 mm action. That said I don't know how much of that 5 mm was his personal taste.
        "If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to him again." ~ Stan Laurel

Comment

I use 2.5mm in the bass side, 2mm treble side on my Strats. It used to be around 3mm bass side, 2.5mm treble. I guess you could say I like medium high action. One has medium jumbos and the other has vintage frets, both have 9.5 inch radius boards.

It's a balancing act definitely. It's not just about how the guitar ends up feeling but the tone as well. Low action gets a brighter, thinner tone, and higher will get a rounder, warmer tone....too low and it sounds ratty, too high and it lacks snap. At least that has been my experience.

Comment

I get LOTS of action baby!

Yeah, cheeseball I know.

My action is pretty high as I like using lots of the wide bends and vibratos. Heavy strings, wide bends, lots of singing.

It would be a lot harder to do that with low action. I've tried. I did not approve.

So I think it's 4/64 on the high E at 12, and 5/64 on the low E. I think. Not sure right now.

I'll have to look later.
            Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
            Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
            Originally posted by Sosomething
            "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

I have no idea what the numbers are and they change from guitar to guitar...

To me, no 2 guitars are the same...I set each one until it feels right then it is right...
              If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

In my Ibanez, 3 mm. off both sides. 10-46 strings, a bit of relief on the neck.

In my Squier, 2 mm. in the bass side, a bit less on the treble side. 9-46 strings, neck straight as an arrow. That's my shredder axe.

In my Allparts, I think around 3.5 mm. off both sides. Trem set to float, 10-46 strings.
                Strats only sound good with strings sky high I think!
                Last edited by Diego; 07-05-2010, 10:49 AM.
                Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

I set mine up to where the strings are on the frets then I move them up to where they just only start to buzz when you really dig in. best feeling set up ever
                  Originally posted by ginormous
                  Like all other tonal things, "clean" is relative. Do you want "sparkling drop of spring water", or "scrape some poop off the bottom of your shoe before you walk in"?

Originally posted by KoreanGuitarMan
                  Actually, shedding the blood of an actual white owl upon an altar wouldn't hurt either.

Comment

Alitte over 4 on both my Strat and Tele, about 3.7mm on the remaining superstrat...
                    Going from two 11-48's to the strat with 12-54...
                    I like that way...not that I hit them with lethal force either...just suits my playing...

Comment

just low enough on each guitar that they don't buzz but they're easy to play. i constantly get complimented on the setup anytime someone tries my guitar.
                      Yo, i'm Ryan™.

https://www.facebook.com/patchworklv
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=der6aGGzQTk
                      ^link to 7 tracks of my band, Patchwork

Comment

5mm with 10s or 11s on the Strat, both E strings.

Comment

High enough if she's cute and petite.
                          I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

I don't know the measurements, but lower than fender factory action but still high enough to where i don't have to deal with buzz when i dig in
                            Originally posted by gibson175
                            metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Originally posted by super rad stuff View Post
                              just low enough on each guitar that they don't buzz but they're easy to play. i constantly get complimented on the setup anytime someone tries my guitar.
                              Yeah, but who's playing your guitars, blues benders or metal heads?
                              "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                              "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                              "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Working...
                              X