What a freaking day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What a freaking day

I would like to also add that this style reamer will create chatter marks. The "half smooth" or semi fluted style works much better for guitar work.

Bad

Good

-Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
    “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Tightpants View Post
      A better choice of tools would have been a tapered reamer. You can get them at any hardware store, of Stewart MacDonald sells them specifically for peghead holes.

Those look great - thanks for that.

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
      Some of you guy should not be around tools.

If you don't have a reamer like the Stew Mac shown, you use increasing in size drill bits to ream.

No plugging, no splintering, no drama.
      That's what I did after experimenting on the dummy neck. IMO, the results weren't horrible.

Originally posted by zakk_speed View Post
      Even easier - go to home depot and buy an Irwin unibit set. No chipping, splintering and you get the exact size you need in wood or metal. Even for new or widening deeper holes you can start it with the unibit to get the diameter correct.

The only ones with a 25/64" bit were like 60 bucks and not available in the stores. I have a gig Friday, so I can't wait that long. Plus, that'd be more than I paid for the tuners, express shipping included.

Originally posted by Ball&Chain View Post
      I dunno, call me crazy, but before I upgraded my Jackson to locking tuners, I measured the turner holes first and then bought some schaller tuners that fit.

It made the process a whole lot easier.
      My Peavey had vintage sized tuners, and I figured that as long as I was replacing them, I should go locking - all my other guitars have had locking tuners and I love them.

Plus, I'm on a budget. I got a good deal on the Rotomatics.
      Custom neck-thru strat
      1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
      1995 PRS CE24
      D'avanzo #8
      Breedlove Solo Concert
      1996 USA Dean Baby Z
      1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
      1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
      Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Actually, they're one size fits all. You just have to pound the new ones in really good.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

i tried years ago to widen the tuner holes on my 1994 MIM Squier to take modern tuners... it had cheap arse tuners and by up grading the bridge and tuners with used MIM Standard pieces it help make it a little better of an axe, closer to a MIM Standard...

long story short, i used my drill press, too slow of a speed, dull bit, no fence, and it worked for the first 5 holes... the last one it grabbed and the neck shot across the room out of my hand... luck would have it it landed on a pile of old blankets on the floor! the High E tuner was all chewed up... kind of a weird oval hole... i had to dowel fill it and re-drill... the washer on the tuner just covers the repair nicely... what a mess...

from that day on i now use the Reamer hand tool...

Comment

Working...
          X