Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gravity Picks feedback

Chris, thanks for the pick!

I use a Dunlop Tortex .88mm (green) for electric and acoustic.

I took the Classic XL to band practice. We were working on new music, so I didn't get to fully test-drive it on a song.

I alternated back and forth between my Tortex and the Gravity picks. The Tortex was slightly darker sounding (which I like). The Tortex has a "scratch" to its attack. The Gravity, OTOH, has more "bite" to the attack, and it seems to bring out some higher harmonics in the notes.

Strengths:
    1. Good, fast note attack.
    2. Pick harmonics were EASY to hit.
    3. Notes seemed to have more harmonic frequencies, resulting in a more full-bodied sound.
    4. The pick is SOLID.
    5. The beveled edge made tremolo picking much easier and cleaner.
    6. No "scratch" sound to the pick attack. Quite clean attack.

Weakness:
    1. (at least for me) The notes are slightly brighter sounding.

Bottom line: I replaced my Tortex pick on my main axe with the Gravity pick. Recommended.
    Last edited by LesStrat; 06-28-2011, 10:04 PM.
    Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
    Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

I think I need to follow up on my Gravity Pick feedback.

Unfortunately, the material used did not prove to be as durable as I first thought.

I brought the 1.5 mm Razor with me to band practice tonight for the other guitarist in my band to check out. Halfway through our roughly 50-minute set that we're rehearsing for our show this weekend, the Razor's edge (as it were) had broken down significantly; to the point that it was a ragged mess that was actually getting caught on the strings.

Now, admittedly, or music is pretty right-hand-abusive, but we're not talking about massive pick scrapes and the like; just normal, if relentless, picking.

We all agreed that the pick sounded great, but he did comment that it kept turning in his fingers (likely from the lack of flex and the lack of grip - that energy has to go somewhere, and in this case it caused the pick to turn), and as mentioned before, it ultimately shredded until it was unusable.

I don't know if the standard Gravity Pick would do this, since it's much thicker and has a different edge radius, but the Razor could not stand up to even a single band practice for us.

Just our experience. Others may find that it's a great fit for them - unfortunately just not for us.

I still want to thank Chris for giving everyone the chance to check these picks out for free - extremely cool of him to do.
      -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Alright, I received my Gravity Pick in the mail and had a good go at it.

First off I'd like to thank Chris for sending me this pick all the way to Europe and sending them the same day! I didn't expect that but he did anyways and it was a pleasant surprise as he did not have to do this. I moved over here from Canada about 3 months ago and some things cheaper for music, some things not. Lets put it this way, I'm glad I already purchased what my Music Man Axis before I came here lol.

Alright, now about the pick!
        I received a beautiful neon yellow pick in the mail, 3mm Razor Mini. I use a Jazz III, switched over to them recently and love them. The Razor Mini is great, the material and shape makes it glide off the strings really well and I didn't experience at all it slipping in my hand which I've encountered in the past with certain picks. Even though it looks like it might fly out of your hand it doesn't for me and stays put.
        3mm is a lot thicker then what I'm used to but I had no problems adjusting and enjoy this pick. The Jazz III to my ears sounds brighter, but thats due to the thickness between the two. I'm gonna order some soon but it'll either be the Razor Mini or Classic Mini in 1.5mm, I think that'll suit me a lot better.

The tone of the pick I really enjoyed and sounded much fuller then the Jazz III, most notable difference of course was playing clean and especially on the neck pickup.

Anyways like I said I like it, I enjoyed it and gonna order some and see where this leads to.

Martin

Edit:
        I was expecting a noisy pick which is what I heard when I tried another popular acrylic plectrum. It could be heard through the amp and was kinda annoying. This pick for me was silent and only the notes rang out. It reminds me of the D'Andrea Pro Plec in this way, which is a good thing.
        Last edited by kramer.geetar; 06-29-2011, 01:56 AM.

Comment

Is he still offering samples?

Comment

Anyone want to trade me their 1.5mm Classic for my .75mm Classic or my 3.0mm Classic or 3.0mm Striker XL? PM me.
            Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
            Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Got a sample in the mail the other day of a 3mm classic and while I dug the thickness, I didn't like the size...felt like a JazzIII..and being that small made it real work to use so it got sweaty...emailed Chris again, asking what he had that was closer to the blue Dunlop 1.0mm, and he sent ANOTHER sample of the XL......this pick is perfect for me......I do a lot of Southern groove metal(Pantera, Down, Crowbar)and this pick is my new go-to......been playing with this thing for a week; no wear. For $5, I don't think you can go wrong. Awesome guy, awesome product. Thanks, Chris!

Stein

Comment

I got my samples day before yesterday, but couldnt try until last night and really try them today.. Thank you Chris for the samples and the quick service!
                For years I used Dunlop Tortexs .060 orange. Still do for accoustic. One day I tried the Jazz IIIs and been hooked since. Use Dunlop Big Stubby for bass.
                The Gravity picks I got were a Classic Mini and a Striker Mini. Im sorry, but if they arent labeled, I couldnt tell you the thickness. Im guessing maybe 1.25 on the Classic. Its alot thicker than I have ever preferred, but I wanted to give it a fair try out. I was suprised by how quickly I adjusted to it and actually like it. Im a sloppy player so I was having some trouble being consistant due to the taper/bevel on the edge. So, I tried it with the bass and am very happy with it for that application!

The Striker mini is about the same thickness or a tiny bit more than the JazzIII. I immediately noticed more brightness and clarity on my attack. I started going back and forth with the Jazz III and the J3 is more muffled sounding. I like the sharper attack. The size is similar so there was no adjustment and the Striker has the defined point like the J3 so I was able to keep the same precision. On plus too is that the pick has 3 points and doesnt force you to hold it a certain way, so if your tip gets worn, you can roll it and continue.

The only snivel I have is that Ive aways like picks with grip like the tortex or raised lettering on the J3, so I was very concerned about these being too slippery. The surface isnt as slick as some picks Ive used in the past, and the etching did provide more texture than I was expecting. So during my practice, slipping wasnt an issue. I'll have to spend alil more time with it to see as I still kinda like the texture. (probably just a mental thing these days)
                But again, I was pleasantly suprised there wasnt more slippage.

Im impressed enough to keep using and if the durability is there to justify the cost, (I dont expect a problem) Ill definately order more and will recommend to others and will try some of their other offerings.
                Last edited by BloodRose; 06-29-2011, 04:59 PM.
                Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Got mine yesterday and love it. I got the classic and it is (1) extremely comfortable (2) makes for articulate notes. Only drawback is that mine is clear, and easy to misplace (might have to buy some red ones or something).

Anyway, great picks.

Comment

I had Chris send me a Razor XL. I really like the pick. It has a snappy articulate tone. The thickness is similar to what I've been using for years. As with most pointed picks, I find my accuracy is a lot better than a rounded pick. The downside, at least for me. Only available in red and clear. Clear is a big no no and I have red carpet in my playroom, so either is a pretty idea if I actually want to find my picks. They need some texture for better grip. The imprinting is ok if I'm keeping a tight grip on them, but if I loose up a little bit for a different pick attack, it either slid around a lot or went flying. My cure for this was making some small x's with an exacto knife. Durability wasn't what I expected it to be. Of course everyone will be a little different in this area. I pick hard and at an angle, so the edges of my picks can get pretty gnarly really quick. I think I got about 4 hours total on my Razor before it started loosing it's edge. I'm guessing after a couple more hours, it'll be the end of it's time. Other than that, I liked most everything about them. However at $4 a pick for roughly 6 hours of use, I can't justify buying more. If they were a little bit harder and lasted longer, I would seriously consider buying more.
                    Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

I got my Gravity Pick Classic today. It's awesome! I compared it one-to-one on both clean and distortion with my Dunlop Nylon and I love this thing. The tone is fuller, and I get more bass response, without muddying up the tone. It has that scratchy attack that helps solos pop out. Also, because of its smaller size it is more comfortable, but it is also thicker. Because of this, it has no give at all, so it is easier to switch strings in a solo, which I do a lot. I try not to move my hand up/down the neck, so I end up switching strings a lot. The notes themselves sustain more. I counted it out, and versus the Dunlop, the Gravity pick had about 3.5 seconds more sustain.

Also, the Acrylic is grippy enough for me that I don't need grooves on it.

Thanks a ton! This pick rocks!
                      Last edited by SamusChief; 06-30-2011, 04:02 PM. Reason: Wasn't finished
                      Originally posted by jmh151
                      I'd hit that so hard that whoever could pull me out would be the King of England
                      Originally posted by jeremy
                      like if we were walking down the sidewalk and you said "hey check her out" chances are i already saw her and mentally sodomized her
                      Originally posted by grumptruck
                      Media only reports on what the sheeple wanna see/hear/read.
                      Sometimes not read.
                      dats hard

Comment

Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
                        Is he still offering samples?
                        Yes. I just emailed over the weekend, got mine today. Review pending.
                        Originally posted by Aceman
                        It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

got mine today! the classic. nice chunky pic indeed! has a similar feel and attack to the v-pick screamer i got. enjoy playing on it!

Comment

******, I wrote out a big long review but it got lost in internet issues. I'm not writing all that **** again.

In short- I really like the Striker XL. I believe the main drawbacks are due to the thickness I got (1.5) and not being used to a pick that thick. I'll probably end up buying a .75 Striker XL. The Classic Mini was too small for me. Too small for comfort.

My main recommendation was for a sizing chart, either with photos or diagrams of each pick in each size (Mini, Standard, XL) against a ruler. That way first time buyers will have a better idea of size.
                            Originally posted by Aceman
                            It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

Received a sample of the Gravity Classic Mini in red 1.5mm the other day.

My usual pick is the Dunlop Ultex Jazz III. I believe it's 1.5mm. Small with a pointed tip and a more rounded top than your standard small round pick. The bevels are smooth but not highly polished. Firm feeling and great control with a solid attack. Tone-wise the upper midrange and treble are "polite" so to speak. You can really dig in with this pick without getting an ear piercing chirp. My favorite pick for lead playing, but for rhythm can come off as a bit muddy.

The Gravity Classic line, shape wise, is a bit of an enigma. It's more pointed than the "classic" Fender shaped pick, making it more similar to a Jazz style pick. The Classic Mini I would consider to be interchangeable with a Jazz III. Slightly different in shape but the size, point, and bevel are all just about the same.

The Classic Mini doesn't sound as rounded off in the upper registers as the Jazz III. The tone is quite a bit brighter but not overly bright. You can still dig in hard and not get any piercing chirp.

What I really like is that the Classic Mini does a fine job with rhythm as well. Doesn't muddy up chords like the Jazz III does. I prefer a pick with a bit of flex when playing rhythm but I think the Classic Mini would be a great choice for hybrid rhythm and lead playing. It's a more versatile pick than the Jazz III.

The only downside for me is the acrylic material is a bit slick. It's not so bad that the pick comes off as uncontrollable, far from it, but this is one area where the Ultex Jazz III with its raised lettering wins. If this pick were offered with a bit of texture that would be great. Barring that, I think the Classic Mini is just about as good as the Jazz III as far as speed and control goes.

I would definitely recommend the Gravity Classic Mini to anyone who likes Jazz shape picks. The grip issue really is minor for me personally, and the tone more than makes up for it.
                              "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so." ~ Ford Prefect

Comment

I received my sample today: It's a 1.5 MM Razer in Red.

I've been playing acoustic with it for about a half hour... I really like it and I like where this pick is taking my playing.

I'll post a full review when I've been able to spend more time with it and with an electric as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X