Effects of Wood and Pickups on Tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Effects of Wood and Pickups on Tone

There is the old debate about how much the wood of a solid body guitar influences the tone.

The usual debates range from the wood of a solid body guitar having no effect to having a huge effect.

There doesn't seem to have been much research done on it besides people just offering their opinions which can vary all over the place but there has been some research done and here are the results of one test.

Seems like the wood of a solid body guitar does influence the tone but not in a simple way and also the guitars hardware and the pickup can enhance or diminish certain frequencies as well so it becomes a complex case of matching the guitar wood and hardware with the pickup to a players taste which a lot of players realize and do already.

Some people think that the wood of a solid body guitar or whatever other material the guitar is made from has little or no effect on the tone and just the pickup and hardware are responsible for the majority or all the tone.

In these articles, different pickups and electric guitar solid bodies are put through a frequency analyzer and it shows how different types of woods of a solid body guitar and different pickups affect the tone and also how the wood and hardware and pickups work in tandem to make up the tone.

Of course the guitars tone gets altered further by effects and amps and speakers as well.

It also turns out that pickguards and how the pickup responds to pickguard vibrations can also affect the tone to some degree as well.

Re: Effects of Wood and Pickups on Tone

That is some pretty interesting stuff. Nice to see actual proof to what we all believe.

Comment

Originally posted by WhooHoo View Post
      There is the old debate about how much the wood of a solid body guitar influences the tone.

The usual debates range from the wood of a solid body guitar having no effect to having a huge effect.

There doesn't seem to have been much research done on it besides people just offering their opinions which can vary all over the place but there has been some research done and here are the results of one test.

Seems like the wood of a solid body guitar does influence the tone but not in a simple way and also the guitars hardware and the pickup can enhance or diminish certain frequencies as well so it becomes a complex case of matching the guitar wood and hardware with the pickup to a players taste which a lot of players realize and do already.

Some people think that the wood of a solid body guitar or whatever other material the guitar is made from has little or no effect on the tone and just the pickup and hardware are responsible for the majority or all the tone.

In these articles, different pickups and electric guitar solid bodies are put through a frequency analyzer and it shows how different types of woods of a solid body guitar and different pickups affect the tone and also how the wood and hardware and pickups work in tandem to make up the tone.

Of course the guitars tone gets altered further by effects and amps and speakers as well.

It also turns out that pickguards and how the pickup responds to pickguard vibrations can also affect the tone to some degree as well.

http://210.101.116.28/W_ftp41/14108805_pv.pdf

Really does not compare enough variables to state woods change the electric guitar other than the basic physics of mass, density and hardness, pickups are infinitely variable.
      One would have to see the same guitar, same cut with different woods using same pickup set up exactly the same with tuning. Even then it is a matter of the weight density, mass, and hardness of the woods.
      Comparing dissimilar variables cannot show what people think they are seeing here. One would have to remove the entire guitars hardware and components transplanted into same cut different wood guitar bodies with the same FINISH done as close as possible. Setting the same neck on each body wood would also be a variable adding to the impossible nature of an accurate scientific rendering.
      Scientific testing is much more complex and difficult to comprehend very easy to misinterpret data. A true scientific analysis is almost impossible per the above requirements so ipso facto the matter is placed right back into the realm of opinion as the data really does not indicate what is imagined.
      Last edited by SD fan; 06-03-2014, 03:23 AM.
      "Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris."

Comment

Originally posted by TheLivingDead View Post
        That is some pretty interesting stuff. Nice to see actual proof to what we all believe.
        This is definitely much too loose to be called proof, starting with the fact that he manually plucked the strings for these measurements, but probably not ending there.

I wish he would have stuck with one pickup at a time. Keeping track of the different wood types and several pickups all at once made it very difficult to follow.
        Last edited by DreX; 06-03-2014, 04:58 AM.

Comment

Every material that affects the resonance of the strings, including the sympathetic resonance of the guitar itself, will impact what the pickups 'hear'. Everything that then processes that heard signal, will impact what reaches your ears. If you like what you hear, play it. If you don't, change something and see if you like it any better...

IMNSHO, micro-analysing the properties of different materials is a job for the people who make what we use. Our job is buy (or not) and just play...
          Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Originally posted by Chris of Arabia View Post
            Every material that affects the resonance of the strings, including the sympathetic resonance of the guitar itself, will impact what the pickups 'hear'. Everything that then processes that heard signal, will impact what reaches your ears. If you like what you hear, play it. If you don't, change something and see if you like it any better...

IMNSHO, micro-analysing the properties of different materials is a job for the people who make what we use. Our job is buy (or not) and just play...
            The problem is if you leave this knowledge in their hands, they can say they have determined that two woods sound "very different", and so you should buy one guitar of each type of wood to gain access to all the tonal variety. So you try them out and you agree, they sound "very different", but your ears aren't scientific instruments. Maybe it's not the wood, maybe it's everything else that makes them sound different. Maybe they sound identical and it's the different color of the guitars that's throwing off your perception. Consumer ignorance leads to all sorts of exploitation.

Comment

Caveat emptor....

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

I can see neck material contributing to sustain

But body material , not so much

Tone is a control on the amp
                Which plays a much larger roll in the sound you hear

*(Sent from my durned phone!)*
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by DreX View Post
                  The problem is if you leave this knowledge in their hands, they can say they have determined that two woods sound "very different", and so you should buy one guitar of each type of wood to gain access to all the tonal variety.
                  So if they were to sound the same you think people wouldn't still buy the same guitar again?

I'll leave you with this quote by a man named James Brown "If it sounds good it is good".
                  Originally posted by KBliss
                  WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
                  Originally posted by trevorus
                  The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Look lively lads. Straighten things up. We're on Facebook...

Comment

Everything the sound touches...

Seriously though, everything vibrates, and every material is going to dampen some frequencies and amplify others, and so each piece of the guitar is going to act a little like a bandpass filter and ultimately influence the way the whole system vibrates and resonates, changing what the pickup experiences. The pickups themselves will have the greatest share of effect, an effect that is very noticeable to even untrained ears. The amp will have its own effect depending on the circuitry and layout. The woods and construction of the guitar will have some effect, but it may take a player who is intimately familiar with one guitar to notice the difference between it and another of different construction. Heck, the cable will have a small effect. But the reproducibility of results is questionable, since no two setups are identical. The best we can hope for is trends.
                      Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil? Do you think you can tell?

Comment

I hate when people argue that the pickups don't sense the wood, they only pick up the vibrations of the strings.

What do they think the strings are attached to? Are vibrations not passing through the metal hardware, through the wood of the neck and the body, and reflecting or feeding back through the strings?

Comment

Originally posted by Rockstar216 View Post
                          So if they were to sound the same you think people wouldn't still buy the same guitar again?
                          It helps to think that two guitars sound different if you're trying to satisfy GAS. People say things like "it doesn't matter how a guitar looks so long as it plays and sounds good", so if you want to believe you're a smart shopper, you wouldn't want to admit to yourself that the primary selling point is the sweet looking wood grains. If you can say to yourself "I already have a basswood guitar for my power ballads, but I could use a mahogany guitar with more low end for my djent" then it gives you a "legitimate" reason to buy the guitar, even though it was actually a superficial difference in appearance that motivated the GAS in the first place.

The sad thing is someone might play a few guitars, and not like one that happened to be made of wood X, and blame it on the wood type, and not the thickness of the wood cut, or that particular piece of wood, or maybe it has nothing to do with the wood at all, but they take than incorrect conclusion and might refuse to try out a guitar they might like, just because it's made of a wood they decided they disliked based on bad information. When I was younger, I had somehow come to the conclusion that heavy=better, so if I picked up a guitar and it was light, I disliked it right away and wouldn't even want to plug it in and try it out.
                          Last edited by DreX; 06-03-2014, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
                            I hate when people argue that the pickups don't sense the wood, they only pick up the vibrations of the strings.

What do they think the strings are attached to? Are vibrations not passing through the metal hardware, through the wood of the neck and the body, and reflecting or feeding back through the strings?
                            You don't even have to go there. The wood moves. Very easy to tell by putting you chin on the upper horn of a Strat. Moving wood means moving pickups. That induces a signal that mixes with the signal of the moving strings in a complex way. Signal induction works both for moving pickups and standing strings as well as vice versa, and now you mix them in interesting ways.

OP, I really don't think any of this stuff needs any evangelism on this forum

Comment

Originally posted by DreX View Post
                              This is definitely much too loose to be called proof, starting with the fact that he manually plucked the strings for these measurements, but probably not ending there.

I wish he would have stuck with one pickup at a time. Keeping track of the different wood types and several pickups all at once made it very difficult to follow.
                              You should re-read the beginning of Part 1 where I show how I calibrate the manual pluck using the amplitude spectrum and how the repeatability of my data is better that a few percent. It works quite well.

How you pluck the strings makes quite a large difference in the frequency response and sustain. The exact measurements I show in my papers are quite repeatable and only valid for the way I plucked the strings. The main point to take out of all of this is that if you make an "apples to apples" comparison, as I did, the pickups are the main contributor to the tone, and both the neck and body woods also contribute (all other hardware and setup factors being equal). This will be true no matter how the strings a plucked as long as you pluck them the same way for all the measurements.

The effect woods and pickups have on tone is quite a complex problem and the longer articles are even confusing to me at times so I used specific short examples to illustrate how fingerboard and body woods effect the tone and sustain in an particular guitar build. You should check out the short papers on my site where I looked at 1 pickup, one string, and one exchange of wood variable.

Comment

Working...
                              X