Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Effects of Wood and Pickups on Tone

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
    It is extremely hard to make the case that wood doesn't effect acoustic guitar tone. Even people who don't believe wood effects electric guitars will almost always make the concession that it does effect acoustics.
    I believe you have a point there. Different woods have different sounds. But in an electric guitar scenario it's a bit touchy. You hear more the difference in an acoustic guitar than an electric one. That's my take on this whole situation.

;>)/
    sigpic Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
      The construction of a guitar affects playability not tone.
      That's certainly true. I totally believe in the construction of a guitar. Well built means well playing. End of story.

;>)/

Comment

Everything affects tone:

Pickups (and placement)
        Strings
        Scale Length (including factors outside the scale like tuner placement or bridge placement like on the jaguar or jazzmaster)
        Guitar (wood of the body and neck plus shape, finish, and neck joint)
        Electronics
        Hardware (and set up)

Not positive about order but those 6 components all add up to make the total sound of your electric guitar.
        Last edited by Clint 55; 03-21-2017, 01:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
          Everything affects tone:

Pickups (and placement)
          Strings
          Scale Length (including factors outside the scale like tuner placement or bridge placement like on the jaguar or jazzmaster)
          Guitar (wood of the body and neck plus shape, finish, and neck joint)
          Electronics
          Hardware (and set up)

Not positive about order but those 6 components all add up to make the total sound of your electric guitar.
          You pretty much summed it up. There is a lot of factors in the setup of the guitar. Also I like thee doggy in your avatar...what's he/she's name?

;>)/

Comment

Hey thanx. That's Spanky, he's a funny lil guy. About the guitars, yes I'm finally getting the hang of ALL the specs and what I like. I've done as good as I can with Squier and Epi. I hope to move up to customized Warmoth necks and bodies for my future projects.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
              Hey thanx. That's Spanky, he's a funny lil guy. About the guitars, yes I'm finally getting the hang of ALL the specs and what I like. I've done as good as I can with Squier and Epi. I hope to move up to customized Warmoth necks and bodies for my future projects.
              Spanky is a great name for your doggy! Speaking of Warmoth...I've heard a lot of good reviews on them. You have the pleasure of assembling your own custom guitar and taking pride and joy in playing it. It's like Brian May from QUEEN building his own guitar with the help of his father when he was a teen. He couldn't afford a real guitar at the time. I might check into Warmoth sometime when I get the urge to buy another guitar.

;>)/

Comment

Thanks! I think I am going to start with a Gibson scale conversion neck for my Strat.
                Last edited by Clint 55; 03-24-2017, 08:41 PM.

Comment

3 years later, I still hear the difference in different wood types.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

And I changed saddles of a friend's guitar recently. The rest is the same: wood, pickups, other parts, strings (and amp setting too). Previously the guitar sounded rather thin. Now it sounds noticeably deeper and thicker. The new saddles have higher density/greater mass.

Comment

i made two guitars, one from old Honduras Mahogany and one from Porridge. They both sound exactly the same.
                      Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

What kind of porridge ... oat, wheat, barley? Did you cook the porridge then let it dry out? Or did you glue the dry grains to make a porridge board first?

Comment

And was the porridge made from old growth raw materials???

Comment

And i suppose it was old stock Brazilian porridge, you sourced half a century ago. It's totally impossible to get the good new stuff with all the CITES regulations these days.
                            Unbelief is safe, because it takes no risk and almost always gets what it expects.

When your passion begins to decline, you already start to die. You were born to burn.

Comment

Originally posted by Darg1911 View Post
                              What kind of porridge ... oat, wheat, barley? Did you cook the porridge then let it dry out? Or did you glue the dry grains to make a porridge board first?
                              In Australia we use 'porridge' for 'pulp'.

Comment

WAIT WAIT WAIT....... You're telling me...... that COMPONENTS...... in a GUITAR...... can effect the
                                S O U N D of a GUITAR ?!?!?!?!???
                                WTF Guys??... I don't (can't) accept this! I quit. I'm playing harmonica from here on out.

Comment

Working...
                                X