Unoriented A2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unoriented A2?

I have seen a lot of talk about UOA5, but what about UOA2?

Re: Unoriented A2?

All A2's ARE unoriented.
    I started out with nothing...and I still have most of it left.

Comment

Ok, let me ask a dumb question. What is unoriented??
      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I asked the same thing a while back because I didn't know.

"Believe the word, I will unlock my door and pass the cemetery gates"

Comment

It should be more correct call'em Isotropic and Anisotropic.

Isotropic: no predetermined magnetic orientation in the annealing process.

Anisotropic: magnetic orientation of the grain determined in the annealing process.

The predetermined magnetic orientation allows the alloy to be charged with a higher magnetic charge more stably room it and preserve it.

HTH,

Comment

Some good info in both of these. Thanks.

Originally posted by Dr.K View Post
            I asked the same thing a while back because I didn't know.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/showthread.php?t=214389
            Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
            It should be more correct call'em Isotropic and Anisotropic.

Isotropic: no predetermined magnetic orientation in the annealing process.

Anisotropic: magnetic orientation of the grain determined in the annealing process.

The predetermined magnetic orientation allows the alloy to be charged with a higher magnetic charge more stably room it and preserve it.

HTH,

Comment

A2, A3, and A4 are normally unoriented. You can get them polished or roughcast.

A5's are almost always polished and oriented, but Addiction FX carries roughcast and unoriented.
              "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
              "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
              "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                A2, A3, and A4 are normally unoriented. You can get them polished or roughcast.

A5's are almost always polished and oriented, but Addiction FX carries roughcast and unoriented.
                Thanks. I found an A2 & A5 roughcast, unoriented combo for like $7.00. What do you think about A4 for bridge pickups? How might that change say a Full Shred or JB?

Comment

Originally posted by UberMetalDood View Post
                  Thanks. I found an A2 & A5 roughcast, unoriented combo for like $7.00. What do you think about A4 for bridge pickups? How might that change say a Full Shred or JB?
                  They have a balanced EQ, so you won't get a big dose of mids or treble, like other alnicos. Some players like that, others don't. In the bridge slot, I prefer roughcast A4's; a little smoother high end. There hasn't been as much done with A4's, as with some of the other magents, but it has it fans, in the bridge and neck both. There are guys here with C4's and JB4's that swear by them, as well as '59N's with A4's.
                  "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

I run reg A4 mags in some of my neck 59s when the low is too overwhelming..
                    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

They have a balanced EQ, so you won't get a big dose of mids or treble, like other alnicos. Some players like that, others don't. In the bridge slot, I prefer roughcast A4's; a little smoother high end. There hasn't been as much done with A4's, as with some of the other magents, but it has it fans, in the bridge and neck both. There are guys here with C4's and JB4's that swear by them, as well as '59N's with A4's.
                      A smoother high end and more balanced eq sounds good. I wonder how a mid dipped pickup like the C5 would sound with an A4. If it balances out the mids and treble of a JB then would it compensate for mids and reduce bass in a C5?

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                      I run reg A4 mags in some of my neck 59s when the low is too overwhelming..
                      That sounds like a good idea for this 59 I have.

Comment

Originally posted by UberMetalDood View Post
                        A smoother high end and more balanced eq sounds good. I wonder how a mid dipped pickup like the C5 would sound with an A4. If it balances out the mids and treble of a JB then would it compensate for mids and reduce bass in a C5?
                        The C5 is 'mid-dipped' from the A5 magnet, just like a CC is mid-heavy from the A2. The PU just responds to the magnet. C4's are worth a try.

What magnet works best in a Custom, JB, or any other HB depends on your tastes and how bright your wood and amp are. As they say: "individual results may vary."

Comment

The C5 is 'mid-dipped' from the A5 magnet, just like a CC is mid-heavy from the A2. The PU just responds to the magnet. C4's are worth a try.

What magnet works best in a Custom, JB, or any other HB depends on your tastes and how bright your wood and amp are. As they say: "individual results may vary."
                          Thanks Blueman. You're an awesome help.

Comment

Working...
                          X