Gibson Class 5 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson Class 5 questions

I did a search but didnt find what I need.
    What shape of neck do the class 5s have?

I understand they have extra weight relief holes, does this affect tone much?

Any other thing that differentiates them from a Standard?

Any other info?
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: Gibson Class 5 questions

I have a Class 5 Les Paul.......It is the ultimate Les Paul, and I've owned some nice Les Pauls! 60's neck. Custom Shop quality. Long Tenon (I swear I can hear the difference!) Beautiful fretboard. AAAAA Flame maple top. ABR bridge. 17 (I think, never cared) weight relief holes, instead of 9...still pretty heavy like a Les Paul should be........

Bottom line: Its a fantastic guitar that may not sit well with the Les Paul "purists" due to it's extra weight relief and other unorthodox refinements but its a stellar working mans "Custom Shop" Les Paul.....I prefer it many times over to the R9 I once owned......

Its the one in my avatar:

Last edited by metlking; 07-19-2011, 08:40 PM.
    Only you can decide what "good" sounds like!
    "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Comment

yeah Bro, YOU!!!!!! YOU are the one thats got me frothing for one... I love that axe of yours! Thats the info I needed tho. I like 60s necks and was concerned what it had.. Long Tenon is cool too! Plus, I dont like my guitars too light..
      Do they still make them? Im not a "purist" but I like it to have the tone and sustain the paul is known for and no robotics or anything like that.

I assume you run a DD in yours?

Thanks for the reply!

When you gonna start that new thread you spoke of?
      Last edited by BloodRose; 07-19-2011, 09:37 PM.
      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I stuck a DD in the bridge, as usual! Nickle covered this time, I liked the stock look. They still make them though I've seen 2011 models listed as having a 50's neck. Not sure if or when they changed them or if it was a mistake on the sellers part......

I will have another one....probably Cranberry or the Sienna Burst Quilt.....freakin' gorgeous!
        Only you can decide what "good" sounds like!
        "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Comment

the neck is a medium c shape, not really that much too it I suppose.

but, is that an 5A top?

if so, then what are these?

6A? 7A?

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post

but, is that an 5A top?

6A? 7A?

I've found that Gibson usually exagerrates the grading of their tops. They're a huge company and I think they just rely on their wood supplier to give them a 5A top. Smaller companies, like Carvin, Warmoth, Hamer and PRS (for their upgraded 10 tops and Artist grade tops) hand pick their 5 A tops and just don't accept what the wood supplier give them.

Also, I don't think Gibson does the deep finish enhancing stain that many other manufacturers do these days, the finish enhancing tends to disguise a 3A top as a 5A top. If you look at guitars with the finish enhancement, they look nice in pictures, but in person the quilt or flame looks painted on. A highly figured top without the finish enhancement has a depth and 3D quality to it, which I've seen on Gibsons and even Epiphones
            Last edited by jmh151; 07-21-2011, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Gibson does do the double stain thing.look at joe perry's transblack sig of the nineties, or his tigereye lp,or the blue class 5. Black to enhance the grain,blue for the final coloring.

The tobaccoburst lp in the first pic has colored lacquer,no stains at all. I'm just a lousy photographer, but the grain is irl much more pronounced.

Comment

those are some gorgeous tops! That purple body is smokin hot.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post

but, is that an 5A top?

AAAAAAwesome.

Comment

That's pretty strange, I remember reading about the Class 5 back when it was still being built. Far as I can remember, it didn't have the weight relief holes at all, it was chambered.

Anybody else know?
                    --------------------------------------------------------
                    1973 Aria 551
                    1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                    1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                    1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                    1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                    2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

I'd be so stoked to have one of those. Classy, classy, classy. Metlking, that thing is GORGEOUS.

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post
                        That's pretty strange, I remember reading about the Class 5 back when it was still being built. Far as I can remember, it didn't have the weight relief holes at all, it was chambered.

Anybody else know?
                        I believe that one was the cloud 9,or something like that...

The les pauls I posted are mine, thanks for the comments!

Comment

Working...
                        X