No announcement yet.

Strat Tremolo: Which would you go for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Strat Tremolo: Which would you go for?

I totally forgot about the 510 Gotoh. Will look into those springs. I'm still leaning towards a gotoh and will probably end up with a vsvg due to the price and vintage/modern appointments. It's not set stone though, so keep them coming.

Comment

They catch a lot of internet hate, especially here but the Callaham is an amazing piece of work...great built quality, great materals used and the workman ship is past top notch!
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Super vee bladerunner
        Gravity...its just a theory

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
          They catch a lot of internet hate, especially here but the Callaham is an amazing piece of work...great built quality, great materals used and the workman ship is past top notch!
          I have to agree here - the hype is what turns me off on them. I have one installed, its not coming out by any means - the extra brightness does not bother me one bit - but the Gotoh is a much better bang for the buck IMO. You can buy a lot of teflon tape for the difference.

The bladerunner does interest me.

Comment

Took out my mates Callaham...he did not like the sound of it in his JV strat.
            Stuffed in a 510 with traditional saddles....no wiggley vibarm on that one, got the same on my Navigator, but with solid saddles instead.
            Liked that one alot more.....but well what do they know??
            They have only been around forever

Hate my bare behind!

Comment

Originally posted by LReese View Post
              I have to agree here - the hype is what turns me off on them. I have one installed, its not coming out by any means - the extra brightness does not bother me one bit - but the Gotoh is a much better bang for the buck IMO. You can buy a lot of teflon tape for the difference.

The bladerunner does interest me.
              See, thats interesting...I don't hear any "eextra brightness"...
              If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Err... pardon my ignorance, but what's the difference between the 510 & the vsvg? Just from the online pics, it seems like the saddles are different.

Comment

Originally posted by Got_tone? View Post
                  Err... pardon my ignorance, but what's the difference between the 510 & the vsvg? Just from the online pics, it seems like the saddles are different.
                  The 6 holes for the body screws are also different. They are formed to allow freer movement and to rest on the outside screws.

I would also like to know what material specifically is used for the blocks. I have a Callaham and it is really good. But the softer more pearly sound from the rolled steel block will not always be better. Usually but not always.

If these suckers are all mount-compatible I would try to buy and sell all of them used. There is really no way to predict how they come out in specific guitars.

Having to pick one I would buy a tremolo that has saddles and block in standard dimensions so that you can tinker with it later. In this set that is the Callaham. Not sure about the Gotoh vintage.

Comment

Here I go again.

Difference between the gotoh 510T-FE2 and gotoh 510T-SF2? Again it seems like the saddles are different.

Hey, btw the super vee does look interesting and it's in the price range that I'm willing to spend.

Comment

I'm in the same boat as you bro. I can't make up mind between the Callaham, the bladerunner, or the vintage Gotoh style bridge.

The Gotoh are obviously cheaper and get solid reviews, plus it's the only one that I can find in black for a lefty, which is what I really want, but I can settle for nickle hardware as well.

The Callahams are great to, but they are more than double the price of the Gotoh and only have 1 color option.

The Bladerunner really interests me, but I'd like to know if other bridge blocks and saddles will work on it cuz I'd really like to have bent saddles and the ability to change block materials if the bridge is too bright or too dark.
                      Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

VSVG is hands-down the best "value" of the 3 you selected, if you absolutely must have a 6-hole trem.

However, if a 2-point trem is an option, that's the way I would personally go.

GOTOH's own 2-pointers are exceptional in both design and quality...always have been.

Likewise, the "Wilkinson by GOTOH" trems blow anything else bearing the "Wilkinson" name out of the water in terms of materials, finish, stability and long-term performance!

As others have said, the GOTOH products give you the most "bang for your buck".

Comment

Super vee bladerunner beats the normal 6 hole and 2 hole strat type tremolos.

Close runner is the boogle blade
                          Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
                          When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
                          Red Devils - 1% all the way!
                          Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
                          Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

I voted VSVG. While they're not as quick w/intonation setting, they sound & feel great. I just fit a 510 to my Amer Spec Strat & am not as impressed with it as the VSVG.

Comment

I voted for the first one. I have a customer that swears by them and he's the pickiest person I've ever met when it comes to tone. They feel nice under the palm too.
                              www.lockwireguitars.com

Comment

Working...
                              X