banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I jump on this offer? Help me decide!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I jump on this offer? Help me decide!

I found on craigslist a brand new fender american special strat (sunburst, SSS version). Comes with a real nice hardshell case and I offered the guy $600 for it and he said yes.

Is that a good deal? The only thing im worried about is the 9.5" radius. Im used to the 12" gibson radius. Is that going to a a big difference? like with action height and bending and such?
    Yes! grab it!
    100.00%
    Nah.....pass
    0%
    2015 Knaggs Steve Stevens SSC T2
    Majik Box Doug Aldrich "Rocket Fuel"
    Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Re: Should I jump on this offer? Help me decide!

Given the adjustable saddles, I don't see a problem.
    Originally posted by Brown Note
    I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
    My Blog

Comment

The radius thing is different, but once you play it for a while, you'll get used to it.

I find the shape of a strat neck and the longer scale make me play differently than I do on a flatter board. Those Hendrix-y chord and pentatonic things like Little Wing come a little more naturally on a fender neck, while big jazz chords and barres are a little easier on the Gibson.

It's nice to have both kinds of guitars, and 600 is pretty good. If for some reason you hate it, it shouldn't be hard to get rid of it, either breaking even or at a tiny loss.

Comment

That's a great deal. Do it.
        Custom neck-thru strat
        1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
        1995 PRS CE24
        D'avanzo #8
        Breedlove Solo Concert
        1996 USA Dean Baby Z
        1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
        1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
        Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

anyone else?

are these american "special" strats any good for blues, rock and heavy rock?
          Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Comment

I would do it if I wanted it. Depends on how much you want it... I've seen older good condition Am Std strats go that low around here...
            Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
            Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

can you verify its an American Strat , with some serial number or something? Cuz i believe no Fender Strats cost near $600, Except Made in USA. in which case, they tend to start at 700-800, altho some teles go for $500, not positive.
              Anyways, it might be a good deal ONLY if u try it, in person, and/or are sure its USA.
              as you may be aware, the word "Special" means less expensive model.
              I guess if i were selling a new USA Fender Strat, I'd hope to get $600. That sounds legit. But not necessarily once in a lifetime, must-have, bargain. If it doesnt seem great, i would think another Strat at that price would come your way again. I know very little about Strats, so find someone who does.

Comment

Originally posted by Khriss Bliss View Post
                can you verify its an American Strat , with some serial number or something? Cuz i believe no Fender Strats cost near $600, Except Made in USA. in which case, they tend to start at 700-800, altho some teles go for $500, not positive.
                Anyways, it might be a good deal ONLY if u try it, in person, and/or are sure its USA.
                as you may be aware, the word "Special" means less expensive model.
                I guess if i were selling a new USA Fender Strat, I'd hope to get $600. That sounds legit. But not necessarily once in a lifetime, must-have, bargain. If it doesnt seem great, i would think another Strat at that price would come your way again. I know very little about Strats, so find someone who does.
                well he was asking like $750 for it in his craigslist add. He said he was seeling it cuz he is unemployed and needs the money. They are going for like $850 new on musicians friend.

Here is the link: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...lectric-guitar
                Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Comment

If it's an American Special, logic dictates it's a USA.

And no, Strat is not good for blues, rock, or metal.

I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                  My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
                    If it's an American Special, logic dictates it's a USA.

And no, Strat is not good for blues, rock, or metal.

well i was thinking about putting a hot stacks plus in the bridge
                    Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Comment

I picked up an Amer Spec & the 9.5" radius really doesn't feel that tight...and I'm used to very flat 'boards at 14-16" radius on many of my guitars. Speed runs and big bends have not been a problem. Interestingly, once it gets much tighter than that, I really start to notice. I have an old tele at 7.25" & that always takes me some time to adjust to. Also, if you aren't big into dual tone pots, you can do like I did & use one to give you B/M & N/M series; which gives pretty heavy rock tones/output, but let's you 'spin' right back to airy Strat parallel sounds...all without spendin' a nickel.

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Caruana View Post
                        well i was thinking about putting a hot stacks plus in the bridge
                        JBJr, Classic Stack, and Lil59
                        My Blog

Comment

The only thing disappointing about this, is that I remember when they used to sell for less than that NEW! GO GET IT!

Comment

Play it before deciding. They are all different.

I am also accustomed to a 12" radius but find a 9-1/2 to be very comfortable. I've never experienced fretting out while bending.
                            I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Working...
                            X