Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explorer Traditional Pro

Hello,

Anyone tried the Explorer Traditional Pro yet?

I am very interested. Pluses to me are:

1. Cheaper than a regular Explorer by $200 list. $1,400 retail price w/ case.
    2. Pickups that are probably much more to my liking than the regular Explorer ('57 Classic neck and Burstbucker #3 bridge).
    3. I like the neck binding...and I think the body binding is growing on me very much the more and more I look at pictures. I normally don't like black Explorers because the edges get lost. The binding takes care of that problem.
    4. Comes with a coil splitter switch for each pickup (which they call coil tapping, but I highly doubt that it is), attractively built into each tone pot.

Minuses to me are:

1. I would want to buy a pick guard for it. I am not sure if a stock Explorer pick guard would fit right, since this body is downsized 4 percent. That means a custom job, and more money to spend.
    2. Slim '60's neck. I prefer Gibson's '50's profile. I don't mind slim necks, but I prefer a C shape (similar to Epiphones) to the "flat-bottomed" U-like shape I normally find on '60's-necked Gibsons.
    3. Probably has those really boxy frets, which I would want to get re-crowned for the styles I would play on this guitar. Again, more money to spend.
    4. This is a Guitar Center only instrument. In my experience, these are often (if not usually) more poorly built than some of their instruments. Plus it means I have to support a business I despise for the most part.
    5. I hear lots of complaints about Gibson's current quality. I am very happy with my Gibsons from 2003 and 2004. Have they really gone down in quality since then? (I know they have sure gone up in price!)
    6. I would want to get covers for the pickups. Again, more money to spend. I kind of like the zebra look on this particular guitar, but in the end, I am pretty sure I would want covers.

Any thoughts on the quality of this instrument? Not interested in hearing whether you like the cosmetics...because I do. But very interested in hearing takes on it's construction quality and details from people who have played it.

Last edited by ItsaBass; 10-01-2011, 07:15 AM.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Re: Explorer Traditional Pro

If they are anything like the Explorer Pro models the made in the late 2000's then it's a very nice guitar.

I usually don't hear people complaining about the Traditional Pro, Studio Deluxe and other GC exclusives, so I doubt these will be worse than your average Gibson.

Comment

no, my local GC has a V but no explorer.. I love the looks of this. just wonder how the tone is with the smaller body..
      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I don't like the way the smaller bodies feel. It's been a long time since I played the old Pro, but I didn't like them then and I probably wouldn't like them, now.

Comment

A four percent smaller body doesn't bother me. For every foot on the original Explorer, you basically end up with 11-1/2 inches. And no, it won't sound any different. It will depend on individual chunks of wood more than a difference in size by four percent. If anything, I think the smaller body would sound better to me.
          Last edited by ItsaBass; 10-01-2011, 06:01 PM.
          Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

...and you STILL can't reach the 22nd fret.

Comment

Originally posted by formula73 View Post
              ...and you STILL can't reach the 22nd fret.
              I have never played that fret in my life, except to set pickup height to factory specs. The highest I play in my current set is the 18th, and that is only for one song with a high rhythm part a la The Colonel.
              Last edited by ItsaBass; 10-01-2011, 06:11 PM.
              Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

I can think of a couple times I need it:

1. The harmony in The Hellion needs it unless you're awesome with bends.
                2. I only know 3 Dime solos: Walk, CFH, and Domination, and they all need it!

I dunno. I'm just nit-picking, basically. I do love Explorers but the Gibson and Hamer varieties all have that problem, though I still own a Hamer. Dean, however, took care of it, and once I settle on a bridge pickup other than the L500XL that's in there, I'll play my 81 a LOT. I still don't like the little body or the resulting knob placement. It's just personal preference but I like them a bit further away so I don't knock them.

Comment

since I LOVE explorers and have always wanted a black one with either no binding or white binding like LITA played, these are killing me with GAS..
                  Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Aint no pro but I know what I like....
                    Guitar to sound output:
                    Hamer, Dean, or Various, Levy's straps, Dunlop straplock/picks, Daddarrio strings 10-46, Duncan, Dimarzio, Mogami, Monster, MojoDrive pedal on occasion, Marshall, Crate, Vox, Mesa Boogie, Black Shadow Celestions, Eminence,..

Comment

Hmm.. I never recall having much issue with the 22nd fret access at least on a standard size explorer. And I have pretty short fingers. Certainly is better than a Les Paul. But I don't noodle away up there either- usually just to end a lick/solo, if I played up there for any real length of time, I'd reckon it would be a PITA.
                      I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by BTMN View Post
                        What don't ya know, mang?
                        Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

The more I look at it, the more I like it without the pick guard.

And without the pickup covers.

And the slightly smaller body.

And I think the choice of pickups is a huge plus. I don't like the extra hot ones that normally come in Explorers.

I will be trying a wine red one probably tomorrow. Before I went, I was just curious what people felt about this line, about Gibson's current quality of build, and about whether the Guitar-Center-only models are really worse than the regular ones, or if it was just my own flawed perception.

Might be selling my Mexican Strat and get this if I like it, and possibly my Epiphone Japan '61 SG copy too. Maybe my '83 LP Custom w/ P90's as well. Problem is that none of those guitars will bring much. The Mexican Strat is agave green metallic, all stock, and has only been used as a backup, but it took a dive once and has a very large chip all the way down to the wood, and some other scratches (tuners, body). I am thinking it might bring $200. The Custom has been chiseled out for P90's, so it has almost no value on the market. I am thinking maybe $500. The MIJ Epi '61 SG is the best guitar of the bunch, and it has '57 Classic and Classic Plus set...but again, not much value on the market. Maybe $400, if that. Cannot sell any of my other guitars. Too sentimental. Instruments I learned on, instruments that were some of my late father's favorites, etc. No way I will touch my Guild, my Norwood, or my '27 Martin acoustics (all inherited). My only hope is that by the time I have the funds to buy this guitar, it is still in stock!
                          Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

It seems I always get Explorer GAS every couple of months.... This model is freakin' pretty!
                            Originally posted by TheLivingDead
                            H-S guitars with floyds make me erect.
                            Originally posted by jcthejester13
                            I'm pretty sure it's like nailing twins. They are identical but feel totally different.

Comment

I am seriously gassing for some reason. What I really should be looking for is an '80's Hamer...but this guitar is calling to me...

The Hamer would have to be black with white binding, or course, after seeing this.
                              Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Working...
                              X