a New (old) WHAT THE ****?!?! Guitar Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a New (old) WHAT THE ****?!?! Guitar Day

when you look at this thing you will think i am senile.

My mate runs a vintage toy and collectors shop selling old star wars figures collectibles, model cars and all that crap, but he personally plays bass and a little guitar.

He bought three guitars on saturday, on the cheap and he's keeping one and selling the other and I bought this one

It must be seventies. has to be, it isn't all original, however, as you will see it has been modified and badly resprayed. I like the quirkyness of the guitar and I will make it into something special for me.

WARNING PIC INTENSIVE 20+ Images

here goes....

ok, so there's a LOT of work to be done to this thing, the fretboard has some minor damage, the neck needs securing properly and that heel slot filling in... if i keep the original pickups i need to raise the neck height by 6mm to clear the pickups and all sorts of stuff..

now looking at wiring and working it all out.

any id and ideas are welcome.

cheers
    Ich bin mein führer

Originally posted by tiptipono
    you have a mental problem? Your brain gets screwed? You purchased this stupidity over the years or it runs in your family genes?

It's like I tell you to sell your daughter/son to father better than you and buy instead toaster

Re: a New (old) WHAT THE ****?!?! Guitar Day

What the actual f*ck is going on here? Them's are some thin-ass pickups!
    my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

^^ Same thing came into my head. I don't think I've ever seen an electric guitar body not routed with pickup cavities. Unless they're sitting miles above the scratchplate, they're seriously bizarre.

Over all, I really like the look of it, though. It's got a cool, quirky style. Upper fret access is gonna be a ***** when you restring it lefty and I don't particularly care for the look of that neckjoint, but if you can make it play well, then it might sound pretty good. Any idea what kind of wood the body's made from? I'm tempted to say plywood, but I can't be sure. Is it heavy?
      Last edited by Kam; 10-10-2011, 10:16 AM.
      I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Looks like they're mounted to the pickguard.
        Custom neck-thru strat
        1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
        1995 PRS CE24
        D'avanzo #8
        Breedlove Solo Concert
        1996 USA Dean Baby Z
        1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
        1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
        Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Also, where's the front strap pin?
          I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Hmmm dunno man....I could stick my laptop inside that neck joint gap...

...besides that I do like the quirkyness of the guitar. Give it a once over and let us now how those weird pickups sound!

Comment

what in the world is that?... I don't know what to say here... guess if your willing to put in the work...
              "This is my hat now, this is totally my hat..."

Comment

How much did you pay for it?

Comment

And the 10-dollar question: How much was it!
                  Originally posted by LesStrat
                  Yogi Berra was correct.
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I would strip the entire guitar and look into fixing the neck first. If you can't get that sorted on the cheap, the rest of the project isn't worth your time. If you can sort it out reasonably, scrape the fretboard clean, treat it with oil, level and polish the frets.

While you've got it stripped, fill the tuner screw holes and ream the main tuner holes for a better quality set of modern tuners (Gotoh, Grover, etc.). Rout the body for a pair of traditional humbuckers, fill in the divots and extra holes and give the whole thing a very liberal sanding to clean up the body lines. I would work on shaping that forearm contour, as well. Get a replacement white pearloid pickguard to match the dual-humbucker layout and paint the body in a metallic green-burst or orange-burst finish!

Otherwise...just pull the pickups and turn the whole thing into a wildly colored, guitar-shaped wall clock!

Comment

what the **** is that?!

i want one

Comment

erm paid a little much???

£25 GBP
                        Ich bin mein führer

you have a mental problem? Your brain gets screwed? You purchased this stupidity over the years or it runs in your family genes?

It's like I tell you to sell your daughter/son to father better than you and buy instead toaster

Comment

Looks like an old Teisco guitar to me.
                          Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

Originally posted by Left_Hand_Strat View Post
                            erm paid a little much???

£25 GBP
                            Sounds fair enough, though you'll probably end up sinking much, much more than that into it to get it operational.

I'll give ya £15 for it.

Comment

Well dad is with me now looking at it and he says it is a bag of s***! LOL

he also says we are ok if it gets cold because we have some firewood!!! lmao.

it will take a hwile to do, i have more projects on the go so yeah, this will be a slow and steady job.

It already has a lefty nut on it....

stripped and checked the body hella thin... the neck is great though, so perhaps i might just get a new body we'll see.
                              Ich bin mein führer

Comment

Working...
                              X