Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: touch-up paint

Nail polish sounds promising then

..If I do end up going the nail polish route I'd really appreciate some tips:

How many coats would I need to put on?

Does it need some kind of primer/base coat?

It's glossy anyway..do I still need a clear coat?

Can it be wet sanded/polished etc?
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

@ OP

Here's how I would do it.
      First, get rid of any rough jags that are above flush with the finish. i would use a razor blade, or some very fine sandpaper. If the hole needs to be built up a bit, I would use some epoxy (not the quick set kind) and work a teeny bit into the hole. I would then smooth it out flush with some gob on my fingertip. Clean up any excess straight away--that's why you don't want the quick-set epoxy. When it cures, mix up the right colour for your finish. You can even dab a bit on your guitar to check that the colour is right--just make sure you have some cotton moistened with acetone nearby to wipe it off. If you do it right, one coat of nail-polish should do the trick. It's pretty thick and it dries smooth and glossy--just like your girly's fingernails, so you don't have to worry about sanding afterwards. You can use Testors enamel paint too, but for me it's easier just to raid my wife's vast collection of nail polishes--in every friggin' colour of the spectrum no less!
      Hope this helps. Good luck!
      Last edited by Boppy; 10-17-2011, 01:56 PM.

Comment

I used the touch up kit I just got last night & the results are pretty amazing. Three layers of "onyx black" base coat ....& between 2-6 layers of clear, with more coats going on as I moved towards the tip (I sort of applied it in "steps" moving further towards the end of the point with each layer so it would be easier to blend the edges that meet the guitar's own finish).

I can't sand/compound/polish this for another week since the lacquer has to cure completely first. But it's already looking fantastic! ..Perfect match of color too!

I think I can make this (joint) completely disappear after sanding/blending polishing...

Apart from the place (joint) where the lacquer meets the original finish, there's absolutely no difference in color/gloss on the re-finished section...it looks like new
        Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 10-21-2011, 09:08 PM.

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Edges blended, polished and 100% done.... it's literally like new. I can't tell it was ever broken even up close with a magnifying glass...can't believe this turned out so well...

Youtube

Comment

I agree w/ the nail polish approach. Sage Green Met is gonna be brutal to match, IMO. I wouldn't even try. I fixed a number chips on Kramer with nail polish. It was pink though...
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I'd fill the area then sand it lightly to get it smooth and then just slap a small sticker over it or something. I like Jolly's idea of a band-aid. That milliput stuff looks like it would do the trick perfectly.

Comment

Working...
              X