banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My dreamguitars aren't progressing at all!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My dreamguitars aren't progressing at all!

and there's no one to blame but ME, haha!

I ordered somewhere in april my 'coupe de grace'. 2 les pauls, with everything I ever wanted. flamed korina back, 5A quilt maple cap, figured koa top, flamed walnut back, superdupernecks blabla.

They arrived in the end of june, and the finishing process was done in the first week of August. I still have to finesand and polish them. The only hardware I have so far are the backplates, which I did polish. purpleheart for one and bubinga for the other.

For some reason, I had no problem buying 2 marshalls and a mesa in the meantime, but completing these has been a troublesome experience. I just can't get myself to do so!

Now, I've finally decided upon the right course of action. I know what I have to do and how I'm going to do it, and i want you guys to be part of the thought and buildprocess.

I'll be ordering these bridges:

in gold, ofcourse. they cost me like 700$ a POP! but... they look better on a les paul than the dreaded floyd. Also, they are JUST 115 grams each. a regular floyd is at least trice the weight!

Also, I'll be ordering titanium blocks to go. These blocks are super light, and they add some sparkle to the tone, compared to the full aluminium of the strandberg-bridges.

I'm in contact with a pickup-wizard to make me 2 sets of pickups, pure handwounds, to my specs. can't wait! the pickups will be like PAF's, with a bit more power, more open, more clear, more transparant, 3D, better harmonics. the neckpickup will sing, with flutey overtones and a bell-chime. the bridgepickup will be very open, clear, articulated and 3D; broad and dynamic! lots of mids. crunchy and punchy in the mids, singing in the highs, solid in the lows but not boomy in any way.

tuners? locking planet waves.

pots? bournes! very simple wiring; just 2x volume 2x tone, 1 coiltapswitch. toggle and jack are switchcraft. the knobs will be wenge on both guitars.

but the best part?

A dear friend of mine, who's done a lot of my finishing and inlaywork is willing to make them extra special.

In the star-trek-font He'll be doing my name on the headstocks. and on the purpleheart neck, he'll do ALL the star trek-starship Enterprises as inlay, and on the bubinga neck, I'll be getting all the logo's!so, finally, after nearly 6 months, there seems to be progress

Re: My dreamguitars aren't progressing at all!

Nice...that purple one looks sweet! Floyd Rose just came out (2011 NAMM) with these new bridges for Les Paul's.... (available in Black, Gold & Chrome...). Don't know if they're available yet though...

"Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
      Nice...that purple one looks sweet! Floyd Rose just came out (2011 NAMM) with these new bridges for Les Paul's.... (available in Black, Gold & Chrome...). Don't know if they're available yet though...

Hi, I know that, but I don't want a floyd or trem just for doing divebombs or whobbles. A trem gives a special kind of tone, bit more springy, reverbey than a fixed bridge, and that trem is just a fixed bridge that can do vibrato so to say. I know the tone of those kind of trems, and to be frank; they suck. I'd rather have a real trem (like the REAL floyd or the strandberger I want), cause those trems just sound better. I'll never do something else if I want a trem than floyd or something like that. I happen to ike the floyd and when it comes to sustain, it doesn't matter that much. a les paul already has so much sustain...

the strandberger has a great tone too, by the way. its so lightweight (115 grams, more or less; 3 times LESS than a FLOYD!!) and the tone is more like a fixed bridge than floyd-y. a floyd is a lot of lows and highs and lacks in the mids, the strandberger is much more even, like a regular bridge. so with the strandberger, my guitars will walk the perfect line between trem and fixed bridge. the reverbration of a trem,but the evenness of a fixed bridge.

Comment

oh and you dont have to cut the ballends on the strandberger.

Comment

A $700 vibrato...wow!
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

^^ Still less than the Titanium Floyd .

Lack of καιρός can be annoying, but the gods will make it clear when the time for completion is right - look for the birth of a two headed cat in your neighbourhood, tis the sign!

Very interesting trem - does is pivot on bearings? Materials? First thought was aluminium or titanium, given that it's so light. So, you reckon this trem solves the eternal problem of functionality vs. tone suck people wrestle with? I take it that you've road-tested it to arrive at your conclusions.
            Last edited by Ashurbanipal; 10-25-2011, 06:46 AM.
            Originally posted by dominus
            Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
              ^^ Still less than the Titanium Floyd .

Lack of καιρός can be annoying, but the gods will make it clear when the time for completion is right - look for the birth of a two headed cat in your neighbourhood, tis the sign!

Very interesting trem - does is pivot on bearings? Materials? First thought was aluminium or titanium, given that it's so light. So, you reckon this trem solves the eternal problem of functionality vs. tone suck people wrestle with? I take it that you've road-tested it to arrive at your conclusions.
              Its 500$ with an aluminium block, 700$ with titanium.

It has needlebearings. its fully aluminium, hardened, if I'm not mistaken. thats why its so superlight.

I am convinced this trem is the best working trem around. in my opinion, a floyd sounds fine, maybe even more than fine, but its a PITA to restring it. you need tools and stuff. if you use locking tuners, you don't need any tool with this trem. at all. no need to cut off the ball ends of the string. the trem is VERY stable when it comes to tuningstability. you can do very deep divebombs, and if you want, the 'fintuners' on the back can be used to be fully functional tuners on their own (headless if you want).

so, yeah. they're expensive. but for something with these looks (better than floyd!) better way of intonation, no need for special tools, I'm willing to scoop out that kind of money. its not like the pickups and bodies are for free either

Comment

So, uh, what is the point of this thread?
                my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
                  ...Lack of καιρός can be annoying, but the gods will make it clear when the time for completion is right - look for the birth of a two headed cat in your neighbourhood, tis the sign!...
                  Erm, what's that sentence supposed to mean?

BTW, the word καιρός is Greek for weather so you're basically saying that
                  (The) lack of WEATHER can be annoying...

Not following...

Back to the thread, am I mistaken to say that I vividly remember two guitars like there already done and part of your stable?

Are these two identicals or did you break them down again to rebuild them?
                  Originally posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay
                  I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
                  Originally posted by That90'sGuy
                  Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

these 2 were never fully completed. I have some guitars that resemble these, though

Comment

gonna say, if you are lacking ambition, send the purple one my way... WOW!!

That trem is cool too!! Never seen one. Where do you get those??

Wonder if that Floyd rose for LP model is a non permanent mod? Im guessing it bolts on to the normal stop bar/tail piece bolts.. could be cool! Hadnt seen those either
                      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

interesting bridge but damn that thing is expensive, looking forward to seeing how your guitars turn out..good luck

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                          gonna say, if you are lacking ambition, send the purple one my way... WOW!!

That trem is cool too!! Never seen one. Where do you get those??

Wonder if that Floyd rose for LP model is a non permanent mod? Im guessing it bolts on to the normal stop bar/tail piece bolts.. could be cool! Hadnt seen those either
                          I found them a long time ago, just by google-ing some odd terms :P

that floyd is indeed a non-permanent mod

glad you like the purple one. It's a color I always loved, and I finished it myself .

I am torn between ordering 2 sets of zephyr silvers or 2 sets of pure handwound zhangbuckers.

Comment

Originally posted by KeeperOS View Post
                            Erm, what's that sentence supposed to mean?

BTW, the word καιρός is Greek for weather so you're basically saying that
                            (The) lack of WEATHER can be annoying...

Not following...

Back to the thread, am I mistaken to say that I vividly remember two guitars like there already done and part of your stable?

Are these two identicals or did you break them down again to rebuild them?
                            Hey Manos, how's it going? The Stinnett and all? BTW I think Ashurbanipal meant "Lack of Time"?

To the OP: Cool concept! I'm a huge fan of anything spacey!
                            Me(n)tal Distortion

Comment

Whoa! Very very nice.

That trem is effing weird, though! I gotta try one...

Comment

Working...
                              X