Little adjustments rule...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little adjustments rule...

I noticed a tiny bit of fret buzz on my low E string this afternoon and took a second to raise the action just a little bit. I still need to fix the intonation properly, but it made quite a bit of difference.

The annoying, super-immediate attack backed off a little bit, and I think it's a little less noisy at the same time. I had to raise the pickup to compensate, but it also seems to play a little easier too.

So remember, kids, a well setup guitar rules. That's all. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Re: Little adjustments rule...

Absolutely. If it's not set up to your liking, a guitar won't play or sound as good, and you won't play as well. That's why I encourage every player to learn how to do basic setups so that the control is in his hands, and not at the mercy of someone else. Understand your instrument!
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
      Absolutely. If it's not set up to your liking, a guitar won't play or sound as good, and you won't play as well. That's why I encourage every player to learn how to do basic setups so that the control is in his hands, and not at the mercy of someone else. Understand your instrument!
      I can't state that better.
      www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

mmm fresh strings and new setup...I think I'm overdue for one of those.

Comment

Over time, and even throughout the year, you may need to adjust the intonation or truss rod, due to seasonal changes in temp and humidity. If you know how to do this yourself, it only takes several minutes and you're good to go. If you don't, you may have to live with a bowed neck or fret buzz for half the year. Some guys sell guitars that are difficult to play, but they may just need a set up.

If you play an electric guitar, you owe it to yourself to understand the basics of how they work and be able to do routine maintenance and make basic adjustments. If not, you're at a real disadvantage. Wood expands and contracts, things wear out and short out. If you're helpless with this stuff, your guitar will eventually be working against you, and it happens gradually so you don't realize it. Why pay someone at a music store to do this, when he may not know much more about it than you do? It's not his guitar, he doesn't know exactly what you want. I don't buy the 'I only want to play guitar and don't have time for anything else' excuse. That's pitiful. If you have hours and hours to play it, you have a few minutes to adjust it. Everyone has time. Turn off the TV or computer, and get Dan Erlewine's book "How to make your electric guitar play great" (lots of pictures and explanations) You'll be amazed at what you can do. So much of it is easy.
          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
            Over time, and even throughout the year, you may need to adjust the intonation or truss rod, due to seasonal changes in temp and humidity. If you know how to do this yourself, it only takes several minutes and you're good to go. If you don't, you may have to live with a bowed neck or fret buzz for half the year. Some guys sell guitars that are difficult to play, but they may just need a set up.

If you play an electric guitar, you owe it to yourself to understand the basics of how they work and be able to do routine maintenance and make basic adjustments. If not, you're at a real disadvantage. Wood expands and contracts, things wear out and short out. If you're helpless with this stuff, your guitar will eventually be working against you, and it happens gradually so you don't realize it. Why pay someone at a music store to do this, when he may not know much more about it than you do? It's not his guitar, he doesn't know exactly what you want. I don't buy the 'I only want to play guitar and don't have time for anything else' excuse. That's pitiful. If you have hours and hours to play it, you have a few minutes to adjust it. Everyone has time. Turn off the TV or computer, and get Dan Erlewine's book "How to make your electric guitar play great" (lots of pictures and explanations) You'll be amazed at what you can do. So much of it is easy.
            ^^ This
            Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Originally posted by Chris of Arabia View Post
              ^^ This
              Thank you. I'm an example of what a difference it makes. I didn't how to do anything to a guitar except change strings, and I wasn't doing that right. Zero handyman skills. I ran across Dan Erlewine's book and my life changed. With a few simple tools (nothing expensive) I found out I could do so many things. I've taken many guitars that sounded awful and played even worse, and turned them into gems. Guitars that previously I wouldn't have a clue what to do with, whether it was a bowed neck, bad action, bad intonation, scratchy pots, won't stay in tune, or lousy-sounding PU's, that's all things I do regularly now, and don't think twice about it. I love to find guitars with these 'problems', as you can get a great deal on them, and after an hour or two of work, they can be something you don't want to put down.

The other smart thing I did was to join this forum, where I learned more things, especially about PU's and magnets. There are some cutting edge ideas discussed here, that keeps you current with what's going on. When I joined this forum years ago, a read a post where a guy had said "Work with what you have." I've passed that advice on myself many times since. Basically Know your instrument and take control of it, instead of selling it or paying someone else to deal with it. You have a vested interest in it.

Comment

I wholeheartedly agree.

If you can't/don't want/aren't willing to learn how to properly setup your guitar, perhaps you ought to find another outlet for you creative juices. To properly and precisely setup your guitar, your individual playing style must be brought into consideration. Who better to do this than yourself?!
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Right on.

Never understood guys that were too scared or just flat out don't want to work on their own guitar(s).

Besides the obvious benefits, I think it's really fun!

Comment

I do it myself, but I don't think I'm that good at it. This was a pretty easy diagnosis, though. A little fret buzz on the low E means raise the bridge on the bass side, right? Whether it was right or wrong, it worked from both a sound and a playability standpoint.

Comment

Everyone - and I mean EVERYONE hear: You NEED to get the Guitar Player Guide to repair (Erlewine).

No one, but NO ONE, can set it up as well as you can yourself.

seriously - it's just time and screwdriver mostly.
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

'Tis a good book, indeed. ^

Comment

A "good book", but is it the "BEST"?!

Originally Posted by IanBallard
                          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                            A "good book", but is it the "BEST"?!

I've got a couple of his books, but I don't work from them exclusively. As often as not I'll use a printout I got off the Internet years ago - I've not got the link here with me now, but I can find it once I'm back home if anyone's interested.

For my own interest, what other books do you suggest?
                            Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Working...
                            X