Super SG'!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super SG'!

had been wondering if and where it might be possible to locate an SG, but with big frets, a flat radius, and some hefty weight over a normal Gibbo Std SG.
    Well, looks like I met my match..arent these fabulous?;

Get the guaranteed best price on Solid Body Electric Guitars like the ESP Standard Series Viper at Musician's Friend. Get a low price and free shipping on thousands of items.

I had also heard the Gibson Diablos (now OOP) are substantially heavier than a normal SG. Maybe our resident dDablo owner can pitch in here.
    I'd love to know just how much of a traditional SG sound these guitars can get.
    Of course, I'd change out the pickups on the ESP and put some Duncan Angus style PAf's in,
    Last edited by MetalManiac; 01-19-2012, 10:36 PM.
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Re: Super SG'!

Why do you want a heavier guitar?
    Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
    Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Lamprecht View Post
      Why do you want a heavier guitar?
      Because tone is subjective? Did i just say something funny or stupid?
      Actually, rem,eber when I blurted out that new Sg's were too lihgt...and my SG Cla$$ic in particualr?
      I
      didnt understand at tHe time that an SG *IS a light guitar by its nature. I'd like to have that Sg Classic back, casue as weight goes for an SG from what i now know, at 7'2 pOunds it was a good substantial SG, and from what I have been able to gather, its common to find them in the 6.5 pound range.
      I finally get why everyone loves their SG Classics!
      Therefore, I would love to have another regular SG, but this time I want Humbuggies.

This ESP as everything I like, and yeah, to answer the question.. I prefer a little heft on my guitars.
      I'm just thinking that it isnt really gonna get tem Angus tones I crave so bad.( yeah. I got the Marshall already))
      Last edited by MetalManiac; 01-19-2012, 11:04 PM.
      "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
        Because tone is subjective? Did i just say something funny or stupid?
        I just think it's funny you think heavier guitars sound better.
        Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
        Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

Vipers are awesome. The first ones were strictly bolt ons and the body's were thick, like super strat thick. That's the one I want, shoulda bought the one my dealer had.

You won't like the neck if you don't like the standard warmoth.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Lamprecht View Post
            I just think it's funny you think heavier guitars sound better.
            Good topic for thread actually. The whole subject of weight and how it was in e begginng with the premium woods, and how it changed and all the weight relieving and all.
            These days a heavy piece of wood tends to be a boat anchor, and thhats why I suppose they chamber now.
            A good solid hunk of Mahogany should have some heft, but of course the SG's are a thinner design..I'm just not too sure about it, but on an SG, I'd say the heavier the better, but thats just me.

Comment

Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
              Vipers are awesome. The first ones were strictly bolt ons and the body's were thick, like super strat thick. That's the one I want, shoulda bought the one my dealer had.

You won't like the neck if you don't like the standard warmoth.
              Thanks King. Yeah, thats a deal breaker ( the thin profile) for me.
              I'm not so sure about a Bolt on SG though.

Comment

I've always thought those played awesomely. I believe they are heavier than your standard SG.

Comment

Yes, those have very thin necks. I like them a lot, but some people don't.
                  Make a joyful noise unto the Lord. Psalm 100:1

Comment

This thread has a lot of promise.

Comment

yea i love the thin ESP necks with big frets.... lightning fast.
                      Regarding any post I've made before 2018, assume I've changed my mind by now.

Comment

GMP makes the guitar you describe... and shaped like a real SG
                        GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

I don't think it's the weight that changes the tone so much as it is the comfort and feel of the instrument. If you dig heavier feeling guitars, chances are your more comfortable with playing it, therefore more tone comes out from your fingers.
                          Originally posted by grumptruck
                          No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
                          Originally posted by Gear Used
                          PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
                          Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
                          Mesa Stiletto Ace
                          Gurus 5015
                          Mesa Widebody 1X12
                          Pedalboard

Comment

I had the LTD version of the Viper. Being an SG player, I didn't bond with it at all. I think I sold it for another SG.

SG's are light in nature. If you want something heavier, get an Explorer or an all mahog LP.

BTW - I think the right pickups will give your sound more 'heft' than a heavier guitar. I've got Toni Iommi pickups in a Faded SG and it sounds just like a 2 ton wall of sound.
                            If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
                            DON'TGETMADBRO

Comment

If you like heavy SG's, check out the limited edition '65 Epi SG Stds with maestro vibrolas (they come in red and ebony). They use some strong, heavy wood in those, maybe to make sure nothing comes loose or flexes with the vibrato bar. I've played 4 and all were in the 8-9 lb range, basically LP weight. A man's SG!
                              "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                              "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                              "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Working...
                              X