Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Super SG'!

Originally posted by rumblebox View Post
    Im saying 2 vipers or 2 SGs are just as likely to sound drastically different from each other as an SG and a viper are even if the body is bigger.
    I understand that, and agree except for the drastically emphasis. An SG sounds like an SG, even if they can vary guitar to guitar.

I have 2 identically shaped guitars with the identical thickness and wood.
    I'm guessing you don't, or haven't owned both the Viper and the SG which is back to my point. I've owned them both, and they sound very different. Its not a guitar-to-guitar difference, its a different design.

I'm trying to give reasonable advice to a person shopping for SG alternatives by informing them that the Viper, while a great guitar, does not sound like an SG despite its appearance. You seem to be trying to muddy the waters and argue subjective issues such as comparing two of the same or similar guitars. And to boot, it doesn't even seem that you've actually owned the guitars being discussed - Leave it be man.
    Last edited by TattooedCarrot; 01-21-2012, 06:15 PM.

Comment

I dont wanna lol
      Regarding any post I've made before 2018, assume I've changed my mind by now.

Comment

I've owned both and like I said before, there is a difference. I just couldn't bond with a Viper 400, regardless of how much I loooove SG's.

Yeah, totally different in feel, vibe, tone, etc.

note: I never kept the Viper 400 long enuff to try different pups, other than the stock EMG's.
        If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
        DON'TGETMADBRO

Comment

EMGs can make anything sound lifeless.

Comment

I agree with TC, Vipers (and Eclipses for that matter) are shred sticks designed for people who like the way SG's and LP's look. I actually would prefer the thicker body with the bolt on maple neck. I've never found a newer Viper with the slimmer mahogany body/set neck that I've liked yet, but I've dug the body style since they came out. I do wish they'd do a reverse version.

Comment

I personally can't stand those ESP guitars. Hate them. I much prefer an SG, better tone and feel. I picked my 1989 SG out of a handful of SGs and she is 7 lbs and sounds HUGE, punchy, chunky and beefy. Massive sounding guitar at 7 lbs is good to me. Plus the 12" fretboard radius is perfect.

Comment

generalizing all ESPs to play and sound like **** is kind of ignorant and offensive.... especially when my 3 cheapo LTD's (after some very minor setup tweaks) play as well, but usually better than any factory gibson could ever dream of playing. (bold statement, but true)

tone is subjective though. to each his own.
                Last edited by rumblebox; 01-23-2012, 08:16 PM.

Comment

I had an older LTD from the early 90s... that guitar smoked!
                  Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
                  Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

EMGs can make anything sound lifeless.
                    +1.
                    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

i can't believe i used EMG's exclusively for 11 years before i finally saw the light.

then again i used to be a metallica fanboi.... fail

Comment

I do not know that weight affect tone really, but I like heavier guitars myself. I am too old to switch in some ways I guess. The ESP fretwork has me look seriously at them a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
                          I finally get why everyone loves their SG Classics!
                          I don't.
                          You all became so much smarter and more mature when I turned off sigs and avatars! Wow, it's like magic!
                          DATA, NOT DISCUSSION

Comment

Originally posted by Bezmotivnik View Post
                            I don't.
                            Because it are kickass.
                            Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
                            Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

I don't know if the ESP Viper gets you the tone you're looking for but they are excellent guitars, I've loved every single one I've tried out.

I didn't find the necks that thin, sure they're not like on an SG Standard, but they're nothing like what typical shred sticks have.
                              Last edited by Johtosotku; 01-25-2012, 03:21 AM.
                              There are two kinds of people in this world that go around beardless—boys and women, and I am neither one

Comment

I've owed 2 Vipers and currently have 1 and I'm on my 3rd SG and they sound different, like not just a little different I mean the other end of the spectrum different. And EMG;s have their place in all and any guitars. Actually EMG's sound pretty good in both, but I prefer passives. I've had a Dimarzio Tone Zone, the EMG's and a Distotion in the Viper. My first SG had EMG's and my Viper has Duncan Distortion. My current SG's have a Duncan Distortion and a Gibson 498T with a A8 swap. The Gibsons are considerably more bright. The Viper is almost muddy sounding if you are not careful with your amp settings. Tone is subjective only if all things are equal. I prefer the Gibson because of the neck thickness. I like heavy guitars also but most of the guitars that I think have a better tone are lighter tone woods like mahogany. I had a Viper 301 which is way more heavy than my LTD400. As far as quality goes, I can't defend Gibson craftsmanship. My SG's are really nice, but I bought a new LP Studio last year and it was a disappointment. A buddy of mine bought a NEW LP Custom and it was unplayable. He returned it and bought a used PRS. That's my 2 cents. I hope I will never say I'll never try this or that when it comes to switching pups and searching for tone. When that happens I think I'll give up guitar.

Comment

Working...
                                X