banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not that thrilled with locking tuners...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not that thrilled with locking tuners...

My new PRS has Gotoh locking tuners on it, and I can't say it's a step in the right direction. I had to unlock the tuner with a screwdriver to get the string out, and then I had to get the string in just the right position to get it locked down again. Maybe I'm just not used to it, but I don't think this is an improvement over the traditional method. No wonder most guitars don't come with this system installed.

Re: Not that thrilled with locking tuners...

Yeah, that sucks.

You want Sperzels. So easy.
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Sperzels FTW. Loved em in every guitar I've had em in.
      ISO - Fender Highway One Stratocaster - black
      2004 Chevy Silveraro - 6.6 Liter Duramax Turbo Diesel
      Pickup Booster - Lava Box - Tweak Fuzz - Vapor Trail

Comment

ive been using sperzels since 1991. too easy.
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

sperzels are my favorite I had a set of schallers on an american deluxe strat that weren't too shabby either

but I tried a set of grovers ugggh (love regular grovers to death but these locking ones were awful).

Comment

Gotoh Magnum Lockers are great IMO. Just keep a coin with your strings.
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            Yogi Berra was correct.
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

The Grovers I have on my Epi Les Paul are just awesome. Easy to change strings, stays in tune forever.

Comment

I like sperzels. that reminds me, I should change my strings on that axe.

Comment

I have Grover mini rotomatics in mine and aside from faster string changes it really doesn't hold tune than the stock tuners did.

Aesthetically they look better to me though and they were a drop in replacement.

Comment

I like sperzels and the planet waves tuners.

Comment

Planet Waves work great, hold tune, look super, are easy to use, are quick to string up, and automatically trim the excess string as you wind to pitch. What more can you want? They almost string your guitar by themselves.
                      Originally Posted by IanBallard
                      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                        Planet Waves work great, hold tune, look super, are easy to use, are quick to string up, and automatically trim the excess string as you wind to pitch. What more can you want? They almost string your guitar by themselves.

+1 yep

Comment

Locking tuners do not "lock" the string at pitch. What they do is lock the string into the tuner post. That's it.

Anyway, I have a set of Fender branded locking tuners (cost me like $45 off Amazon) and they've been great. Restringing is so easy it's tempting not to convert all of my guitars to locking tuners.
                          -
                          My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

I like any locking tuners with the thumb wheel in the back. I'm not so crazy about the top locking ones.

Most of my guitars have either the locking Schallers or the locking Grover Roto-Grips. They're both great.
                            "Everything must be black, like the storm of justice!"

Comment

Sperzels FTW. Do it Whiz.

Comment

Working...
                              X