Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With all the 250k and 500K hoopla....

I did a little experiment.

I changed out the single coil bridge pup in my Strat a few months ago for a Pearly Gates. Being the lazy man that I am, I left the 250K pot in there.

I have heard that the PG has a lot of top end and can be bright, so 250K....well...with all of the 250/500K controversy here of late....I purchased a CTS 500K pot for the bridge pup....and.....

It is awesome with a 500K! I liked the 250K alright...yet it didn't jive as well with the middle and neck pup as much as I would like...a little woofy it was.

The 500K opened it up and turned it into a rock and roll machine and the bonus is that with a little twist or the tone knob I can get virtually the same tone as with the 250K pot.

I love the articulation that the 500K brought to it....
    Originally posted by tone4days
    we're not musicians, we're beer salesmen

Re: With all the 250k and 500K hoopla....

See what I mean!

I never found the PG "bright"...it has the same clarity that PAF pickups are known for but I never heard any sizzle folks talk about...

500k pots are the ticket with PAFs!
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I love you, man.
      I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

If I'm using a humbucker(any humbucker) I always just go 500k...I use the tone control if I need to roll off the highs,or my amp...
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Pearlies rock, and def sound better with 500k. The low mids get real muddy with 300k pots, so im sure its even worse with 250. Glad it worked out for ya.
          I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

IMO PGs are the best production pup Seymour makes, bar none.

Comment

Originally posted by AniML View Post
              IMO PGs are the best production pup Seymour makes, bar none.
              Now the PG+ I had in one of my strats was pretty toppy....That A5 is pretty shrill with this pickup in a strat..
              Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

bump
                If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

ttt

Comment

I gotta try a Pearly Gates. Almost had one a little while back, but the Post Office lost my money order! Glad the 500K worked in your strat Bungalow Bill. I know it was my post that started all this stuff, but it worked for me. These two guitars are the anomaly I guess. I wouldn't put 250k pots in my other humbucker guitars, but these needed it.
                    My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
                    or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
                    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
                    700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

i use 500ks instead of 300. Its probably the way to go with A2 pickups. Mebbe if you had an A5 pickup youd want the top end damped a little.
                      Its all personal preference.
                      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

On Saturday, Matt Martin put one of his 550K wiring harnesses in my Peacock Les Paul with the C5/Jazz combo in it. It completely opened it up. It sounds absolutely fantastic now. Besides sounding waaaaaay better than it did, the taper on these pots is absolutely fantastic!! I'm going to put these pre-wired harnesses in all of my Gibson Les Pauls. I just can't believe how much it opened up. It's like I took ear plugs out of my ears or something.

Comment

Did you have the stock gibson pots in it John?
                          I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
                            Did you have the stock gibson pots in it John?
                            Yes, I've just always used the stock 300k pots that Gibson uses.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
                              On Saturday, Matt Martin put one of his 550K wiring harnesses in my Peacock Les Paul with the C5/Jazz combo in it. It completely opened it up. It sounds absolutely fantastic now. Besides sounding waaaaaay better than it did, the taper on these pots is absolutely fantastic!! I'm going to put these pre-wired harnesses in all of my Gibson Les Pauls. I just can't believe how much it opened up. It's like I took ear plugs out of my ears or something.

https://www.martinsixstringcustoms.c...ss/prod_9.html
                              Very slick looking harness, but $75 ???

Comment

Working...
                              X