No announcement yet.

With all the 250k and 500K hoopla....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: With all the 250k and 500K hoopla....

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97 View Post
    I Like the 500k with buckers!
    Me too but my SG's have P-90's.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
      Me too but my SG's have P-90's.
      Oh ok.....I'm not a P90 user...Might be too bright with 500k?
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Oh ok.....I'm not a P90 user...Might be too bright with 500k?
        Nah, not at all. My SG Jr sounds awesome with 500k's. It's got a big raunchy tone to it.

Comment

Nah, not at all. My SG Jr sounds awesome with 500k's. It's got a big raunchy tone to it.
          Cool beans!
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Hey Erik let me know if you dig the 500ks.... I might need to try it too.
            Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
            Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

Right; with a single PU guitar, pot values are a non-issue. When you dial in your amp, you don't have to worry about it throwing off the other PU. Pots and magnets come into play when you try to balance EQ's for a neck and bridge PU.
              "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
              "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
              "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                Right; with a single PU guitar, pot values are a non-issue. When you dial in your amp, you don't have to worry about it throwing off the other PU. Pots and magnets come into play when you try to balance EQ's for a neck and bridge PU.
                See, I like the tonal and EQ variation between the neck and bridge. That makes it more diverse for me. I just find two pickups that work the way I like them to and leave it at that. I'm primarily a bridge pickup player anyway but I do like a nice sounding neck pickup too. The SG Classic is the only guitar I own with two volumes and two tones. The rest are either one volume and one tone or one volume only.

Comment

See, I like the tonal and EQ variation between the neck and bridge. That makes it more diverse for me.
                  That works up to a point. I've seen local bands where the guitarist flips the toggle and goes from a nice tone to either nails-on-a-chalkboard or mud. That frustrated me for years with my guitars, so I took the path of getting the two PU's closer in EQ; I still still get tonal diversity, but not the extremes. To each his own.
                  "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

That works up to a point. I've seen local bands where the guitarist flips the toggle and goes from a nice tone to either nails-on-a-chalkboard or mud. That frustrated me for years with my guitars, so I took the path of getting the two PU's closer in EQ; I still still get tonal diversity, but not the extremes. To each his own.
                    Yes these are two issues that plagued me for alot of years...It's tougher on a strat,but with my dual humbucker guitars,I always hated having a good bridge tone dialed in,and then having a muddy neck tone...I also don't like any real volume variation between the neck and bridge pickups..I also like the neck pickup adjusted down and away from the strings a bit..

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Lamprecht View Post
                      Hey Erik let me know if you dig the 500ks.... I might need to try it too.
                      Sure thing. Have you wired the tone pots 50's style yet?

I dial the bridge in first, since that is what I play on a majority of the time anyway. When that's all dialed in the way I like it, I adjust the height and poles of the neck pickup to work with it. In my Frankenstrat I have the Demon in the bridge and Slash A2P in the neck, single 500k volume. Just an amazing sounding combination for my style.

There are a lot of small time (local) players that don't know how to sit and adjust things. They just pick them up and play and don't give anything else a second thought. Heck, most pro players are the same way. They just go with tried and true combinations, dial in the amp to sound good to them and go. Their tech's handle the rest.

Nothing wrong with either approach. Just different flavors.
                      Last edited by ErikH; 02-25-2012, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Yes these are two issues that plagued me for alot of years...It's tougher on a strat,but with my dual humbucker guitars,I always hated having a good bridge tone dialed in,and then having a muddy neck tone...I also don't like any real volume variation between the neck and bridge pickups.
                        Most of the blues-playing SSS Strat guys I know don't use their bridge PU; just too shrill.

Comment

There are a lot of small time (local) players that don't know how to sit and adjust things. They just pick them up and play and don't give anything else a second thought. Heck, most pro players are the same way. They just go with tried and true combinations, dial in the amp to sound good to them and go. Their tech's handle the rest.
                          True. Easy to forget we're a very small subgroup here, and not at all representative of the average player. We get all worked up over things and most guys have no idea what we're talking about. I remember the first time a tech tried to explain pots to me (volume, tone, full size, mini). My eyes glazed over; he might as well have been talking about nuclear physics.

Comment

Sure thing. Have you wired the tone pots 50's style yet?
                            No, I haven't. What is this supposed to do again?
                            Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
                            Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

Most of the blues-playing SSS Strat guys I know don't use their bridge PU; just too shrill.
                              We play alot of different styles of music and not just blues though...I use all of the pickup combinations on my strats....This is why in our band,the strat is still versatility king....

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Lamprecht View Post
                                No, I haven't. What is this supposed to do again?
                                It puts the tone pot after the volume pot in the circuit. When rolling off the volume, the highs are retained better, similar to what the treble bleed mod does.

Comment

Working...
                                X