Thanks Gearjoneser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Gearjoneser

Did this again to a strat that I recently put a new nut on....This technique is really easy and it does work!

A trick for nut work using no files.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought I'd share a technique I've always used for getting the nut slots to be seated nicely, and it also helps to clean up a nut slot, eliminating ghost notes, and widening the slot enough for a Fender trem to work a lot better.

Take a 1 - 2 inch square piece of fine grit sandpaper. The 600 grit black/gray sandpaper works best. Take the little piece of sandpaper and put it under a string, folding it upwards, so you can grip it above the string. The paper will automatically bend itself around the bottom of your string. Slide it up toward the nut, and draw it through the nut, sliding it toward the tuners. Just like a file, it'll swipe out a little bit of nut material, cleaning up the slot. I do this on all strings, till all the slots are smooth. If you need to lower the nut slot a little, just do it a few times, and you can re-adjust the paper so you're always using fresh paper. If you perfect this technique, you can get the nuts dialed in on your guitars, so that regular trems work better, eliminating strings binding at the nut. It'll also fix strings that don't ring quite right.
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Re: Thanks Gearjoneser

Yup. I do that to "fine tune" the nut slots at the end of making a new nut and use even finer sandpaper when doing general maintenace so it cleans up the slot without taking any material with it.

Comment

Good stuff.

Peace,

Darrin

Comment

I used 1000 grit cause I didn't want to possibly remove too much slot material...Worked good and probably made the slots smoothe like a baby's a$$! ;o)
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

This works fine for the wound strings, but even on thicker unwound strings the sandpaper just folds instead of wrapping

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97 View Post
            I used 1000 grit cause I didn't want to possibly remove too much slot material...Worked good and probably made the slots smoothe like a baby's a$$! ;o)
            Yeah, I can't recall if I used 600 or something finer.

And another trick is using a small 4" piece of wound string, that's one size smaller, folding paper around it, and using it as a file. So, you use a D string to file your A, and A string to file your E. That's if you have to do more extensive nut work, and you don't have any files.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
              This works fine for the wound strings, but even on thicker unwound strings the sandpaper just folds instead of wrapping
              You have to hold the paper really taught and slightly slacken the strings...Works great...Use both hands to pull up on the paper and just slide it back and forth through the slots..Once you get the hang of it,works great..

Comment

I remember when I first got my SG Classic. It played great but was having slight tuning issues. Just seemed off in a few spots. So, remembering this trick, I pulled out the sandpaper and ran it through the slots, got the intonation dialed in and it's perfect now.

Did the same thing when I replaced the nut on my PRS SE. The bridge is a wraparound with no adjustments so getting those slots right was even more critical. This trick came through once again and helped get them dialed in just right.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                  I remember when I first got my SG Classic. It played great but was having slight tuning issues. Just seemed off in a few spots. So, remembering this trick, I pulled out the sandpaper and ran it through the slots, got the intonation dialed in and it's perfect now.

Did the same thing when I replaced the nut on my PRS SE. The bridge is a wraparound with no adjustments so getting those slots right was even more critical. This trick came through once again and helped get them dialed in just right.

Joe is one of my longtime buds here on the forums....Just a nice plug and a thank you...

Comment

600 grit is too fine, you will make the string slot too fine and the
                    strings will tend to hang up more because of the increased surface area. The rougher surface created by a file will actually make your tremolo work better.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdaddy View Post
                      strings will tend to hang up more because of the increased surface area. The rougher surface created by a file will actually make your tremolo work better.
                      I used 1000 grit and it seemed to improve things at the nut overall on one of my strats...The idea was to polish the slots and not remove too much material. Some guys use waxed dental floss because they want the slots slippery.Maybe I'm missing your point?We use Nut Sauce and products that make the strings glide "smoother"through the slots..

Comment

Originally posted by bigdaddy View Post
                        This has worked for me on more then one occasion so I am not sure if I can agree. I understand what you are saying in principle but an increase in surface area and contact does not always translate to an increase in friction depending on the materials involved...
                        "This is my hat now, this is totally my hat..."

Comment

Originally posted by JordanM82 View Post
                          This has worked for me on more then one occasion so I am not sure if I can agree. I understand what you are saying in principle but an increase in surface area and contact does not always translate to an increase in friction depending on the materials involved...
                          My thoughts....We polish and lube the nut slots so the strings move smoothly through the slots...I wouldn't want anything but smooth in those slots!

Comment

Heck, just purchase nut files from Stew-Mac...
                            Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
                            When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
                            Red Devils - 1% all the way!
                            Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
                            Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by Stratman View Post
                              Heck, just purchase nut files from Stew-Mac...
                              Got those also...Been making my own guitar nuts for awhile...

Comment

Working...
                              X