Thanks Gearjoneser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thanks Gearjoneser

I have a set of nut files, and I swear it's something I wish I'd bought when I was 15.
    If there's one bit of advise I'd have for young players, it's to buy a set of nut files.

But, some nut files don't have a nicely rounded edge like they should have for that kind of money. So, fine grit sandpaper isn't out of the question when it comes to filing and shaping nuts.

It crazy how much good nut files cost. And that's why so many players are good at using sandpaper on nut slots. In actuality, I should design a set of nut files that are better than average and cheaper than all the rest. It could be a good business, in light of the fact that most sets are expensive and don't include every gauge.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
      I have a set of nut files, and I swear it's something I wish I'd bought when I was 15.
      If there's one bit of advise I'd have for young players, it's to buy a set of nut files.

But, some nut files don't have a nicely rounded edge like they should have for that kind of money. So, fine grit sandpaper isn't out of the question when it comes to filing and shaping nuts.

It crazy how much good nut files cost. And that's why so many players are good at using sandpaper on nut slots. In actuality, I should design a set of nut files that are better than average and cheaper than all the rest. It could be a good business, in light of the fact that most sets are expensive and don't include every gauge.
      From somebody who has made alot of guitar nuts Joe...Your technique works well...Some guys just don't know what they're talking about really!
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97 View Post
        I used 1000 grit and it seemed to improve things at the nut overall on one of my strats...The idea was to polish the slots and not remove too much material. Some guys use waxed dental floss because they want the slots slippery.Maybe I'm missing your point?We use Nut Sauce and products that make the strings glide "smoother"through the slots..
        I realize its counter intuitive. Furthermore nut sauce doesn't make the slot "smoother" , lubricants create a barrier and reduces surface tension.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdaddy View Post
          I realize its counter intuitive. Furthermore nut sauce doesn't make the slot "smoother" , lubricants create a barrier and reduces surface tension.
          I've made alot of nuts and Gibson style nuts to me are easier..Aside from lube and sandpaper though,the nut slot height,width,and depth is what matters..More importantly how the strings take off at the front of the nut...If the nut is cut right,there's really no need for Nut Sauce,but I use it anyway..Dan Erlewine mentions using waxed dental floss in one of his books to polish the slots..I'm thinking we want smooth slots...In fact,I Know!

The strat nut has to be done right or the vibrato just won't work right and the strings will hangup in the slots,especially the G string!
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Working...
          X