• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Good fretboard oil

I use guitar honey

Comment

gonna test some of this Lemon Oil stuff... experiment and see how it works or does not for myself...

Comment

Any oil that is good for treating unfinished wood will work. I go to the grocery store & buy a large bottle of Old English lemon oil. It lasts forever & I just apply a light coat whenever I do a string change. I let it soak in for about a minute then wipe off the excess. Never had any problems. I only use this on ebony or rosewood. On finished maple I use the polish I use on the guitar (which is Pledge).
        "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
        "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by Surgeon View Post
          While I'm sure these are fine products they're IMHO, overpriced and overglorified mineral oil.... Just like "lemon oil" which is in fact mineral oil with a lemon scent.

Furniture builders and restorers have used Linseed oil forever to great effect to hydrate and treat wood.

I'd rather buy a litre of the linseed oil (natural is the buzzword everywhere these days...) for the same price as I would 75 mL of a brand name's rebranded mineral oil.

Again, not a bad choice, just not something I fall prey to...

AGAIN: IMHO
          IMHO - Linseed can become gummy if not applied right and often smells strong for a long time after application! Also, it doesn't "condition" the wood so much as leave a protective film over the top. Properly applying it for long-term protection usually requires more than one coat. Not a bad choice, just not something I fall prey to...

Yes, Guitar Honey is primarily Mineral Oil, but many such products for guitar fretboards are and that's not the only ingredient. Also, I simply said it was the best of the stuff you can walk into a guitar store and easily pickup almost anywhere. Other "mineral oil" products do NOT work as well and I'd suggest the Roche Thomas fingerboard oil over the Guitar Honey, if your local store has that in stock.

Now, going beyond the guitar store shelf (i.e. assuming you're not in a hurry and don't mind ordering online), what I REALLY recommend is "Bore Oil" that is designed for woodwind instruments. There are several makers and any good orchestral instrument store should have something like this.

Roche Thomas has a version of Bore Oil that's a bit heavier than their fingerboard oil, but priced about the same, which makes it very reasonable. Fret Doctor also makes an instrument Bore Oil that thousands of players are more than satisfied with.

Comment

Ive always used lemon oil I bought from Carvin. Im out so need to get some more.. this thread came at a good time.
            Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Unlce Johnny's root and ball oil! lol!
              BASSES: Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass/Ric 4003 Bass (Blue)
              Fender 51 P Bass RI/Traveler Bass
              Schecter 5 String (Sunburst)/Gibson SG EBO RI
              Epiphone Rivoli (VC Sunburst)
              Warwick Thumb BO/Kramer DMZ 4000/
              Fender Jazz 72 RI (Sunburst)/Ernie Ball Earthwood ABG
              Fender P Bass (White)/DiPinto Belvedere Deluxe (Black)
              Gibson 09 Thunderbird (Sunburst)
              Fender Jazz Bass 5 string (Sunburst)/Fender HMT bass (Red)
              Gibson EBO

Comment

Working...
              X