Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Compare GHS Boomers To D'Addario XLs

Hey John,

I used to use Boomers years ago. They used to be fairly decent sounding, but the last time I tried them, they seemed to have lost something. I've stuck with Ernie Ball Regular Slinky's (0.10 - .46) since then. I haven't tried D'Addario in years.

Having said that, since you're good with the D'Addario's, stick with 'em!
    "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffrec View Post
      Hey John,

I used to use Boomers years ago. They used to be fairly decent sounding, but the last time I tried them, they seemed to have lost something. I've stuck with Ernie Ball Regular Slinky's (0.10 - .46) since then. I haven't tried D'Addario in years.

Having said that, since you're good with the D'Addario's, stick with 'em!
      Hi Jeff....I was only asking about the Boomers because I still have 3 new sealed packs of em...Must have got them cheap? ;o)
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I've had bad experience with the GHS Boomers, they didn't last for me on my Strat and I didn't like the tone. XL's all day, every day...
        "This is my hat now, this is totally my hat..."

Comment

From what I see I think I'll keep my D'Addario's.

Comment

I hate threads like this. It just shows tons of inclusive evidence that either both string companies suck, or they both rule, or they're both wildly inconsistent, or none of us know what we're talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97 View Post
              Hi Jeff....I was only asking about the Boomers because I still have 3 new sealed packs of em...Must have got them cheap? ;o)
              Hey, you can always use 'em as backups at gigs, no?
              "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffrec View Post
                Hey, you can always use 'em as backups at gigs, no?
                Yes....Normally I only break the 1st string and I have at least a dozen spares...I also bring at least 2 guitars to a gig in case something happens...Sometimes even an extra amp,though so far none of my amps has failed me on a gig...
                Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
                  I hate threads like this. It just shows tons of inclusive evidence that either both string companies suck, or they both rule, or they're both wildly inconsistent, or none of us know what we're talking about.
                  It's ok....Ultimately I make up my own decision but no harm in getting other member's advice,opinions etc..I Like the overall concensus!

Comment

Picking up where FuseG4 left off, isn't this like the 3rd or 4th D'addario vs GHS thread we've had in the last three months?
                    --------------------------------------------------------
                    1973 Aria 551
                    1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                    1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                    1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                    1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                    2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post
                      Picking up where FuseG4 left off, isn't this like the 3rd or 4th D'addario vs GHS thread we've had in the last three months?
                      Yeah and why not? Good info....Go back to sleep there Coma boy! ;o) Redundant stuff all the time,especially all the magnet talk!

Comment

I've been a GHS user for years now. Probably 15+.
                        I try other brands on occasion just for a bit of spice in life. I haven't kept a set of D-'Addarios on a guitar for more than a day in ages. I find they sound and feel great for about 10 minutes, then go all lifeless, tonally.

Boomers on the other hand sounds fresh for all of the 3-4 weeks I leave them on my most frequent players.
                        www.lockwireguitars.com

Comment

Working...
                        X