New beater guitar in the house....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New beater guitar in the house....

I've not seen one of those in a short lifetime. Forget the refin, just play the damn thing - it's perfect as it is.
    Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Hey...that looks great just the way it is!!! Congrats...now go play the Hell out of it!
      MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Imperial
      1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
      1988 Kramer Nightswan
      1989 Charvel Sambora
      2016 Warmoth Hellacaster
      Boogie Private Reserve Lone Star Combo
      Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve

sigpic

Comment

Thanks fella's. Well in the last few hours I've cleaned the board, polished the frets, swapped the pick ups for the Bro/ A2P combo and got the intonation nearly there and it really is a stonking guitar. On the subject of the fret board, it's one hell of a chunk of wood. It's real thick, the only time I've seen anything like it was on some old 60's slab board Strats but I don't even they were this thick! As I said earlier, it balances perfectly on the strap which makes it so much more comfortable to play. The neck is great, chunky but not as big as my '57 R.I L.P and I don't know if it's the top wrap bridge double bends are effortless without the strings being sloppy! It's going to get gigged this weekend and as we do a fair few ACDC numbers I think this one is going to be a regular player both at home and gigs. I'll post pics with the aged nickel covered Bro/ A2P and try to get some of the crazy thick and dark fret board.

Comment

Well, after a crap few days at work I've been able to play it through a couple of amps and this guitar with the Bro/ A2P neck absolutely rocks! I knew the Bro would sound killer in this chunk of mahogany because I have one in my '57 R.I custom but it really does comes alive in this one... Bro's rule in mahogany. Here a few pics of "Bones", I haven't bothered with calling guitars names for a long time but as this one is pretty basic and stripped back "Bones" seems to fit...... Now he's ready for tonights gig!

Look how dark and thick this rosewood board is...

Last edited by d1dsj; 03-10-2012, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Sweet!!
            Aint no pro but I know what I like....
            Guitar to sound output:
            Hamer, Dean, or Various, Levy's straps, Dunlop straplock/picks, Daddarrio strings 10-46, Duncan, Dimarzio, Mogami, Monster, MojoDrive pedal on occasion, Marshall, Crate, Vox, Mesa Boogie, Black Shadow Celestions, Eminence,..

Comment

Originally posted by muttznmongrelz View Post
              Hey...that looks great just the way it is!!! Congrats...now go play the Hell out of it!
              +1. Nice color finish, goes well with the black PU's. Very sharp.
              "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
              "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
              "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

That looks like a great SG. I think it'd work for me!
                "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

"Bones" had his first gig last night and was real solid. Held tuning great, intonation was pretty darn good and sounded fantastic at gigging volumes. It's really wierd, but my favorite looking guitar is the SG because those 2 horns just look plain mean but I have never felt totally at home with one until now. Crusty was right in his post when he said it doesn't look like a beater and could be something special. I got a bargain because I this for what I'd have paid for a cheaper Tokai, Epi or Vintage SG. Now I've cleaned it up I will just leave it alone, the colour is proper cherry very much like an old Gibson and it is a nitro cellulose finish so will just get better and better. Gordon-Smith are handmade guitars and it shows, and whilst believe it or not my Gibsons are finished really nice with no obvious flaws with fit and finish, this little beauty feels every bit as good and with the S.D's installed sounds fabulous. The only thing I will change is the tuners, I want some nickle grovers so if anyone has a spare set laying around and want to sell please pm me. It was really cool last night when a couple of guys were asking me about the SG and said how great it looked and sounded.

Stevie Bees, when you're in the market for another axe you do need to check G-S guitars... I'm already thinking about my next one although it wont be this year! Hopefully you can get to the Midlands during the summer along with Craig and any of our other UK forum bro's and you can check it out for yourself.

Comment

Nice, side mounted jack too! I often hear good things about GS axes - got a review of a double cut LP style with a spruce/maple body and maple neck in an old mag.

Is the brass nut adjustable or does it just screw in to the end of the fingerboard?
                    Originally posted by dominus
                    Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Nice, side mounted jack too! I often hear good things about GS axes - got a review of a double cut LP style with a spruce/maple body and maple neck in an old mag. I also like stripped down looking axes.

Is the brass nut adjustable or does it just screw in to the end of the fingerboard?
                      Originally posted by dominus
                      Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
                        Nice, side mounted jack too! I often hear good things about GS axes - got a review of a double cut LP style with a spruce/maple body and maple neck in an old mag. I also like stripped down looking axes.

Cheers. Yeah I like the side mounted jack too, seems more solid than having it on the thin top. The brass nut is just mounted on the end of the board and although strange it works!

Comment

Cool guitar Don, glad you like it. I've often thought about getting one of those.

How is the intonation with that bridge? It doesn't look like it's compensated at all.

An old mate of mine has a purple Gordon Smith bass he picked up for peanuts in a junk shop in Bournemouth in 1979 - the serial number is 0034!

Comment

Originally posted by Simon_F View Post
                            Cool guitar Don, glad you like it. I've often thought about getting one of those.

How is the intonation with that bridge? It doesn't look like it's compensated at all.

An old mate of mine has a purple Gordon Smith bass he picked up for peanuts in a junk shop in Bournemouth in 1979 - the serial number is 0034!
                            Thanks Simon. When I got it last Tuesday it had old strings on and the intonation was shocking and you're quite right it isn't compensated. I called G-S and asked a few questions about the guitar and explained how bad the intonation was and was told to put new strings on and try it. I changed them, made a very slight adjustment and though it's not perfect it's good enough for rock n roll. I was going to try a PRS compensated bridge or a TonePros but I won't bother now.

Sounds like your mate had a bargain! Well worth checking out for sure, I'd love a double cut Gypsy now! ha ha
                            Last edited by d1dsj; 03-11-2012, 10:10 AM.

Comment

I'd definitely rock one of their SG's!!

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Looks good!

Comment

Working...
                                X