Buying a decked out neck need input!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a decked out neck need input!

My beloved stratocaster that has been my NUMBER 1 for 8 years.....fretwear is starting to become a serious factor......the trussrod has become stripped (my fault...) truss rod also resonates with most 3-5th fret D voice chords and any A or E voicings past the 10th fret.

The thing buzzes. I managed to tighten it up a notch using an allen wrench and epoxy, let it dry, turn a few notches, yank out. It buzzes a bit less now, but I want a new neck regardless....

Here's the idea-

i want to get a conversion neck at les paul spec from warmoth. I have a contoured heel, I obviously would be able to drill a pilot hole and bolt into it.

Looking for something exotic, not sure, but wenge, bubinga, all those are in the running. Just post what warmoth you would get for 500-600 bucks decked out. Im looking at stainless steel med jumbos for frets, with the flatwounds it will be marvelous!. POST YOUR IDEAL NECKS WITH EXOTIC WOODS!
    2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Re: Buying a decked out neck need input!

Doooo exotic woods sound better?

Woooont changing the scale length and tonewoods drastically alter your tone?

Iiiiis that going to require new pickups?

Caaan't you buy a used American strat fir $600ish?
    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

THANKS FOR THE INPUT!

answer the question. Im not trashing this body, it has sentimental value, and it has my exact config killin it right now, very adjustable neck, and i would assume a shorter scale would suit my pickups as they are gibson design (mini hb neck, surfer mid, seth lover bridge) I WANT THAT. now go ahead and suggest what YOU WANT in a neck of the high end warmoth range. Think pimped out necks. post one, i might buy what you post, everyone on this forum has a discerning ear and has tried tons of stuff, so post what you want in a neck!!!

SUGGEST A %*%&%&$*$(%*$&$& NECK!!!!!!
      2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

Rosewood. Looks sweet. Warms the tone. Less highs, deep tight lows.

Canary, lighter color, more strat/maple sound.

Wenge, strong mids. Consistent dark color

All these can be played with no finish which is pure bliss

Comment

I would want a neck that would replace my old neck without messing up the tone or feel i'm familiar with. So like maple. Maybe with rosewood.

Comment

I've been feeling the mids. Rolled tone on flatwounds gets me wanting a more complex midrange, and a wenge neck would look amazing.

Comment

Daaamn FIVE quarters sawn maple? Thats way more than ONE quartersawn...

Comment

I'd buy an uninstalled neck from Ebay in the exact profile you want.

Then when you fit your ideal neck onto the body, sell off the old neck at a very reasonable price to move quickly. I say the same about speakers and/or pedals.

Be patient and cherry pick slowly and methodically. You'll end up spending less and owning classics that fade away - but you'll have them!
                Last edited by Gearjoneser; 05-16-2012, 02:45 AM.
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I have two Warmoth necks, both exotic. One is all Indian rosewood and the other is bubinga with an ebony board. They both have SS6105 frets.

If I had to describe the feel, I would say that the rosewood feels woodier, or more...organic. It has a more pronounced grain and a waxier texture. The bubinga is smoother and has very small pores, which make it feel closer to the oiled maple on my EBMM.

The bubinga is the faster of the two but I can't say that I prefer one over the other. They're just different.
                  "Everything must be black, like the storm of justice!"

Comment

4 quarter turns of the stock is a 360 then another turn=quarter sawn maple.
                    Ummm...

Comment

5/4 actually refers to 5 quarter inch segments, or 1.25 inches thick...

The OPs question - I just spec'd a Warmoth neck with pau ferro and maple; I love the look of the pau ferro and it's plenty hard without being 'standard'... The other options mentioned are also cool!
                      Cheers - Cris
                      ----------------------------------------------------------
                      "It's rock and roll, man - you're not going to make real music 'trying'; you make real music by putting down what you've got and letting the audience decide" paraphrase from Lemmy Kilmister - "Lemmy"

Comment

I dont think either of you are correct about the 5/4sawn definition, or "one and a quartersawn" as i am now referring to it.

Comment

10-4; I've been buying hardwoods using board footage pricing for a while and that's the definition used in that industry - sawyers aren't going to play with specifics so quarter inch increments is what is used - 2 inches is 8/4 and so on...

Help me out, what's the right definition?
                          Cheers - Cris
                          "It's rock and roll, man - you're not going to make real music 'trying'; you make real music by putting down what you've got and letting the audience decide" paraphrase from Lemmy Kilmister - "Lemmy"

Comment

Down this path lies doom.

Get the truss rod on the old neck fixed.

Comment

See attached; the woodworking terminology sometimes makes zero logical sense; hopefully this is helpful to someone. Cheers
                              Cheers - Cris

Comment

Working...
                              X